Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I was at a desi store last night to buy tindora. The vegetables in the crate were grimy and slightly rotten, so I had to diligently pick the fresh tindora out of the lot. I was picking ...one.. two ...three ...four ...

A man talking on phone arrives.

Man: Yes, tindora is available
    Wife (on phone): Are they good? [infer]
    Man: Yes, it's tindora.
    Wife (on phone): Do they look OK? [infer]
    Man: Yes, tindora only. How much you need?
    Wife (on phone): some measure

Man grabs the tindora handful and shoves in his bag. He repeats. He is gone. I was dumbstruck imagining a scene when he returns home.

Man: But you said tindora?!
    Wife: Such rotten tindora?
    Man: But you said tin-do-ra?!
    Wife: I know what I said. What am I supposed to do with this man!

My Mom was fearful of sending my Dad to the market for this very reason. Men follow orders to the precision of a military edict to save their marriages. My Dad to date complains: But she only said brinjal, how do I know whether they are bitter or normal.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Viswamitra and Naari like this.
  2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I laughed hard reading that post. I just went to my sent messages & thought I would reproduce one of my shopping lists & instructions for hubby .

1 pack strawberries (if they look red and good)
    7 avocados large (6 hard for future consumption and 1 medium ripe)
    7-8 tomatoes on wine
    1 small full green cabbage
    3 small or 1 big container fage fat free yogurt
    1 cilantro clean bunch
    1 cauliflower (medium, see no black)
    1 green bell pepper
    5-6 satsuma tangerines (buy shiny, small ones)
    1 bread (oroweat 12 grain)
    3 ripe bananas

Instructions to the T. It has worked .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Amica, Viswamitra and Gouri9 like this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Tell me about it. Wives these days are smarter with inexperienced husbands, hence the instructional handout on berries and avocados.

In those days, I would accompany my Dad to the market and he might, once in a while, inquire from the seller upon my mom's insistence: Is this coconut good? To which the toothy seller surrounded by finicky customers (all like my woeful Dad) would respond: This is very good.

We return home with pride and my Mom breaks the coconut and finds a dark patch right in the centre. They argue for twenty minutes over children waiting for chutney for their idli on how my Dad could not have seen that blight through the thick shell that it was decayed. At times my mom persisted, at times my dad made sense, esp with thick-husked coconuts. Muddy leafy vegetables and colourless carrots also dented their marriage. I don't know if it is a man's folly or a woman's criticality but my Dad's unassailable defence would be: But she only said.

Naari likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I know there is no scope for "Know Your Wife" (KYW) but some here can conduct a training program for "Know Your Husband" (KYH) as they are all cut from the same cloth.

Before I could stop laughing about post it note "Hot = closed, cold = open" Ira comes up with her dad buying Tindora and Naari comes up with instructions "7 avocados large (6 hard for future consumption and 1 medium ripe) for her husband. How the sharpest brains at work become blunt at home has only one explanation and I leave it to the judgment of the readers.

@Rihana, any guess?

Naari likes this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sir, my Dh has on occasion teased me when I had red, ripe tomatoes on the list. His reaction was “not any other color? And I don’t think they sell unripe vegetables here?”:lol:

Haha! :smile:That sounds so like me. That’s what I meant by ‘clean bunch of cilantro’ - no mud/dirt. And yes, the tomatoes cannot have any spots of yellow. Thankfully, in US, much of my demands / husband’s task is taken care by quality control, but I can imagine your dad’s plight. I can picture it.

Archanaanchan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

:lol:

@Naari is this you?

Naari likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Tomatoes come in many colors!
    Tomatoes.jpg
    Unripe, fried green tomatoes are a thing. They're delicious. Recipe here.

So, the joke's on him - your husband I mean! I'd stick with the clear instructions if I were you!:lol:

Viswamitra and Naari like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yes, that's me, me:wave: where is your 'raising hand' emoji? searched that post of yours, didn't find it:(

I even had "check for predominantly florets and less leaves" for cauliflower.. But deleted that.. sounded pretty desi & embarrassing :roflmao:

Amica likes this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Oh, I can assure you no amount of smart comebacks from him can deter me from issuing clear instructions:lol: I try not to respond back to him before his grocery trip, better to just laugh it off shd it affect the execution!;) And, as Viswa Sir pointed out "sharpest brains at work become blunt at home".. that's totally his case.. way smart except for in picking vegetables .. But, yes you are right, the shopping lists continue no matter what:)

@Viswamitra Sir, you didn't reveal the secret though as to why the "sharpest brains at work become blunt at home"?:smiley:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Viswamitra and sokanasanah like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It happind quietly. Some ronak-shonak (audible visiblility) is called for.

A thank you is due to Gauri for taking on the task of E&G moderator. In my experience and observation, moderating is often a thankless job, with much headache, and other than the actual satisfying work of creating, encouraging and managing content growth, there is the part of pandering to many whims, hurt feelings and accusations. Taking a random example from the many storms of the past, I recall, to my it-will-never-end mortification, an occasion where I took much dispensable umbrage at how some of my posts on some topic (transgenders?) were handled or responded to. Aiyo... I cringe and look for some place small to go crawl under, on recalling the incredibly hard time I gave her. Hopefully, with so many exercise and meditation threads active and drawing strong participation, saner senses will prevail and peace will reign. ; )

E&G and its many threads such as Positivity, Neurons Puzzles, and many more landmark ones have the chaap (stamp) of Gauri in them. It is brave to take on the task after having been through it. If I recall correctly, some other souls called upon to serve the E&G nation in its time of need, deserted with reasons like 'my life is dedicated to avoiding responsibility." Tsk tsk.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.