Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I started only recently. Share any thoughts maybe? It could be useful.

(Though I'm not sure if it ll be off topic here or not?!) :oops:

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Mindfulness & Children

If both parents work and when they return from work, how much time each parent is able to spend with the children? I know the children is the future of each one of our lives. But how do we listen to them? Is listening just to find out their well-being or homework or exceptional issues or combination of all of the above? How do we express love when we see them at the end of the day again? How do we make them feel good when we drop them in the school? How do we try to understand their world? How much time is quality time with the children?

Viswa

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Inconsistency is my middle name. I have worksheets that I only dig out when I am feeling very down. So not really qualified to comment about CBT. I shouldn't be spouting off about meditation either :thinking::nono:

kaniths likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#Logs

Feb 24 / 18 : --
    Total meditation minutes for the week (#1) : 71.

Feb 25 - March 3 (week #2);
    Sun : 6 minutes.

#Random #MementoMori?

Any feed screen in any app for me is flooded with Sridevi death news only, RIP her. :pensive:

"...Awareness of one's own mortality does not have to be morbid. I believe that it can be inspiring, uplifting, and help remind you of your focus and purpose.

What do you want to do with your life?"

664C1CE0-1ABF-4820-B26F-D936A533AF65.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Gauri03 and jskls like this.
  5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Uncle,
    This question has been raised against me for last many years since I had kids as I used to work full time and now full time to study. Many a stay at home mums would be asking me how do you spend time with your kids and they will tell me how many activities they do.
    For me personally, in the morning, I spend time fully on them by dressing/feeding and praying. After the working day, that gives me more motivation to see my kids and be with them and speak to them about their day and my day. Then we eat and do homework. After that, while they are playing I will do the chores and then we spend time together for night time reading/prayer. Quantitatively, it might be very fewer hours compared to many other but I feel content. What is also important to me is that we have eye to eye contact when we speak and listen to each other with 'Listening ears'. I might be wrong, my few minutes completely with them here and there gives me immense pleasure and I also believe that these are meditative moments for me.
    I would love to see other people advises and suggestions on mindfulness and children.

Warm regards,
    Vani

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The limiting factor in modern parenting is time. This precludes laid back parenting, the sort I was accustomed to as a child. My mother never made an effort to actively engage me. She was always there. There was no need for quality time. That's not something most parents can do these days so active engagement becomes necessary. I do this in a few ways.

When I'm with them I'm with them. I am present, physically and mentally. My thoughts, senses, and attention are focused on them. I have seen parents with cell phones or laptops, or the TV running in the background, distracted and in their own worlds. Parenting from behind the screen is banned in my house. We don't turn on the TV until the kids sleep, unless it is a show we all watch together. We put away our phones, tablets. Dinner is a family event. We eat together at the table and talk. Both my husband and I have rituals and hobbies we do exclusively with each of our kids. Those are 'our' activities. I am teaching my daughter to read, so I spend 20-30 minutes doing phonetic reading with her. She likes to putter around in the garden with me. She has her own tiny gardening gloves and tools, and she is with me whenever I'm out in the yard. My son is preparing for a math competition and we spend time working out problems every day. He enjoys playing computer games. Minecraft is our game and we build worlds together. Family outings, vacations, board game nights, there are a lot of little ways in which we engage them. Right now because they are very young, almost all our free time is spent with or around them. It is very easy to physically be with your kids and mentally check out which is as good as being an absent parent. I think the single most important thing is to be present, and meditation has really helped me with that.

salad, Laks09, kaniths and 3 others like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gauri, did you get a chance to try it out?

8. Gauri03

I didn't run last week but I will tomorrow.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Gauri03

I ran 2 miles this morning with the Nike+Headspace guided program. It was a recovery run, gentle-paced 2 miler. The guidance amounted to a part interview, part pep-talk by the Nike's Coach Bennet and Headspace's Andy Puddicombe. There were moments of inspiration but the rest was just banter. There are a couple of longer runs that I haven't tried, so I won't pass summary judgement. But I'd say I prefer my podcasts over today's session. I love both apps by themselves, but I'm not sure they add much value to each other.

Laks09, Rihana, Srama and 1 other person like this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the review . I got the promotion in the email as well and was toying with the idea of buying it.

Gauri03 likes this.