Bhagavath Gita

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Sangeeta85, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

hello,
    I brought a small book of bhagavath Gita for my son.. it's been 2 years still did not read it to him ..reason for not reading as they as u should not have anything related to the Mahabharata pic especially the war one.. the war pic creates fights some one told me..
    1:did u guys read the book to ur kid ?
    2:is it ok to read if that pic is there on the book..
    I believe n don't believe at the same time ..

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. krn

krn New IL'ite

Hi Sangeeta,

I think u can read out the important messages or phrases to him without showing him the book OR u can first read the book first and then teach him the important points.

harih, Thyagarajan and Sangeeta85 like this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

You can get many of these kids books through chinmaya bal Vihar or Amazon . Those are kid friendly with cute images that kids will love to read . I have few Krishna and Ganesha kids books by them and more than the kids I love reading them :smiley:

4. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Smt Sangeeta,
    There is no problem in keeping or reciting the Mahabharata in the seclusion of your home. This is what I was taught by my elders. My grand mother was in the habit of reading the Mahabharata in original Sanskrit daily, almost till her death at a ripe old age. And regarding the Bhagavad Gita, Adi Sankaracharya has stated that everyone must read the Gita and the Vishnu Sahasranamam daily.

Thyagarajan and Sangeeta85 like this.
  5. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Thank you..
    My worry is since it has the picture of the epic fight with the rath (chariot) as the say once should not have the picture in the home of it..

harih and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Sangeeta85,

If you can explain that it is not an actual war but a fight to remove the bad qualities in us, he will understand. For that you need to read Bhagavad Gita interpretation written by Paramahamsa Yoganandha. Explain a small event and ask him to explain the moral and your son will become a person of impeccable character.

Viswa

harih, Sangeeta85 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Actually people say that u shouldn't read sundara kandam because it may create family problems. But not sure of these sayings. Bhagavath Gita is prescribed for all as it disciplines a person and makes a person self sufficient with self control in mind and teaches how to live ur life. So it is highly recommended according to me.

harih, Thyagarajan and Sangeeta85 like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Answer seems to be simple.
    2. Besides the advice of @viswa sir, I would also suggest removal of the portrait or picture or masking the image depicting upadesh by Lord to Arjuna in the battlefield so that it remains out of sight for few weeks and tell the kid the story. observe your family for any perceptible changes or condition remains status quo. Then that would probably clear your apprehensions.
    3. Popular and famous huge libraries in the leading Nations stak numerous copies of Bhagavat Gita and such sacred books in various languages with colourful illustrations exists for several decades surviving World wars. This would serve as an eye opener.
    Regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    harih and Sangeeta85 like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I agree in Toto.
    2. The benefits of reading daily preferably at dedicated time and or in group observed not only for those doing the parayanam but to their families and the successive generation.
    3. I have closely observed this fact with several families routinely engaged through satsanghs in MUMBAI and CHENNAI.
    Thanks and regards.

harih and Sangeeta85 like this.