1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Are Fired!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Yes you heard it right – You are FIRED!!! One of the famous corporate statements either said out LOUD or it's all HUSH HUSH.

A couple of days ago I heard this line. Now before you start thinking what unscrupulous action of mine brought about this honor, I must tell you it was not me. My friend got fired from her job. She texted me in the wee hours of morning and my first reaction was a laugh. Most would be baffled, upset and sympathetic but I on the other hand found it terribly funny. Well my friend wasn’t miffed either, she saw that coming as she was at loggerheads with her peers. Our day started on a good note as we woke up with a laugh. How many days of our life does that happen now???

I recalled a thing of the past, but still etched in my memory as though it happened yesterday. A little over a decade ago in December of 2004 the naive, fearful, playful, lost me was FIRED from the job….LOL :p . Now you know the reason for the grinning and laughing. I seem to be lucky in certain as aspects of my life, firsts of a lot of incidents have been adventurous and hilarious. My seconds are pretty close to tragedies and disaster, aaaah.

I started my first job while studying for my Master’s degree. Like work-life-balance, it was study-work balance for me. I got placed in my first semester much to my own surprise beating a good bunch of 10 equally competent classmates. Jobs are also like marriage, first you live the honeymoon period then starts the horror show :roflmao:. I chose to study and specialize in a subject privy to most at that time, I had no concrete reason as to why I chose what I chose. You can imagine me then at the workplace. I had two male bosses who did a pretty good job of scaring the hell out of me and sending a chill down my spine every time they spoke or even looked at me. They were days when I dropped the notepad, coffee, pencils ET all when asked questions or was expected to execute any procedure. This continued for a good 3 months.

Now the day of my firing unfolded something like this. I walked into my office just like I would any other day, I was going back after taking a break of two weeks for my exams. Moment I entered I felt the air in the room heavy and saw my colleagues looking at me with astonishment. I gave them a pass, went about trying to get the PC started when I was summoned by the boss. Well I thought he was going to check with me about my exams, the silly me surfaces at times when you least expect. Being who he was didn’t waste a moment to tell me that – I was FIRED!!! :facepalm: on my face with great pleasure. This was already communicated to my placement officer but my man had not bothered to inform me of the same. Like twice smitten, I was bitten twice. Furthermore, the dumb me stood there not knowing how to react nor what I must do now. Totally blank, it took me a couple of minutes to gather my bearings. I was asked to talk to my college representative for further actions. I then walked out with mixed feelings after a few hugs from fellow workers. Supposedly everyone knew I was FIRED. Imagine that now :rolleyes:.

The story goes like this that I was slow in grasping and my performance was not at an acceptable level. They were expecting a Eureka moment from me :cheer:, really in less than 3 months . I still recall that day with much joy and pleasure. Embarrassing it may have been, but it paved way for a totally new beginning in my career. A job that I once struggled with, a role that I dreaded, an environment I hated being in, the challenges it posed – today when I look back it amazes me that I overcame them all. It gives me great pride and honor that I continued to find my way and created a niche for myself in the field that I once failed. I fell in love a little late in life, with my job of course ;), was passionate about the profile, a job that gave me the thrill and excitement, not to forget the adrenaline rush. My first job lasted only for a mere 3 months, but I was lucky to have crossed paths with a colleague who still remains to be a very good friend of mine.

I took a trip down memory lane this week, thanks to my friend. She is a smart gal, she will find a better job in a jiffy so much I know. Everyone’s experience at a similar situation is different. I am so glad and fortunate that mine turned out to be favorable in the most unexpected way.

Getting FIRED isn’t so bad after all :grinning-smiley-048:. Well that’s just me saying ;);) .

meril, kaniths, Gouri9 and 8 others like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Scorpio707,

Wow! Liked your spirit. This experience, your POV and also your fight-back spirit is fantastic. Bravo!

Scorpio707 likes this.
  3. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

Bravo!!! Liked your positive attitude.

Scorpio707 likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meenu @scorpio,

It is crazy how I always have a 'feeling' when you post! Knowing you, I would not imagine anything different. I did put myself in your shoes and oh the picture that came out....not at all pretty! Why just Friday, I had to walk off some anger and a 'how dare you' frustration at school by going up an down the stairway three times! You did awesome back then and I am sure continue to do awesome.

I like the way you say about your friend here but my dear not all of us have this wonderful attitude!
    Definitely something to learn from you Meenu! You are right, in retrospect it is all okay.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Scorpio707 likes this.
  5. Scorpio707

Thanks Geeta. When you are young and naive a lot of things tend to be easier to handle :smiley:;) .

6. Scorpio707

Thank you Hana.

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Scorpio,
    A great writing with vivid description of the'firing' situation ,now prevailing globally.

It may happen on anyday, your/spouse/child's birth day or wedding day.The gala festivities planned may end in dis array.

It happens for a variety of reasons, including restructuring, our performance, a breach of company rules or because it suited the organization to let one go.
    It is better to analyse reasons thereof,find out ways and means to sort out the problems.
    keeping a positive attitude. It will help you to stay in control and manage your career effectively.
    Now there are so many psycho analysts practising in this area throwing lot of instructions as to how to face the situation.There are certain people who have a different temperamental make up and they always need a secured environment.

We normally view the activity from the victim's point of view only.
    Hiring may be somewhat easy, but firing is the most unsatifactory and agonising job.I have seen people once fired, rising to the top and are entrusted with the job of downsizing.It is a highly emotional and sensitive task.
    One feels guilty of disturbing the financial status, peace and harmony of the entire family,though it forms a part of executing one's own duties.It is extremely painful to fire a bright ,smart executive who has really made some worthy contribution to the development of the institution.How to create a situation painting his downtrends or demerits outweighing his merits?This is the saddest part.To wantonly view one's profile ,out of professional compulsion,with a dark lens is simply horrible and too painful.

May be some people have been by mistake hired to a senior position, and being inexperienced, they are unable to accomplish the expected tasks;or some may be unwilling to do the job because of lack of motivation;or they may have some behavioural problems of low or high magnitude.Sometimes for none of the above reasons, just as a policy decision firing takes place.On any day Darwin's Survival of the fittest' can never be quoted,
    The firing official too may be at the receiving end on any day.
    In India ,for the past 60 years, we have never experienced this'firing' or 'pink slip'business.Once you get settled in a job in your early 20s there has been no such risk under normal circumstances and it was easy to plan investments for housing, for education and marriage of children and so on.More or less it was a comfortable sailing in calm waters.
    As more and more people opt for overseas projects, the risk is on the increase. Notwithstanding the clean pollution free atmosphere and a comfortable life, the thorn of 'insecurity' about 'firing' always pricks.
    Are we making our children courageous and worthy of plunging into challenges and better followers of BhagavatGita?
    For us seniors, accustomed to a carefree life, the future of children poses a
    big question mark!
    Jayasala 42

8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I had seen many such examples in my company. One of them was the worst. A boy got married and got the leave only for two days joined after that. Spend all his savings in his marriage. There were 3 members in his team. He joined after marriage and informed about the realease and had to work overnight for that. He left his newly married bride alone at home and worked for the project. Again next day came back in the afternoon. After the release he was informed by the management that we are firing you due to your low performance. This was the worst thing as they had to borrow money for their daily needs from his parents. But later he got a better job.

Scorpio707 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. GANDG

GANDG Senior IL'ite

Excellent write Scorpio. Sometimes the setbacks turn out to be hidden opportunities. With such a sense of humour, I am sure your friend will thrive.
    Cheers!!!!!

Scorpio707 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. Scorpio707

Sabitha, as always it's a pleasure to hear from you but you give me too much now :). Nevertheless thank you so much for the lovely comments.

You would understand and resonate with me on this quote - "I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going". Pretty sure you know you'd guess where I'm quoting this from :thumbsup:

Srama likes this.