1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry Saree!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Feb 22, 2018.

1. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

@Balajee Very well said!

@GeetaKashyap
    Same pinch. I am a saree woman out and out. Have faced discouraging remarks from other women on why i shouldn't wear saree so much. Still going strong. Ladies in my family have worn saree all their lives and I hope to follow in their footsteps. I switched to saree when I started working and my first thought was relief! No more adjusting and readjusting the damn dupatta. I did struggle to master the art of tying the saree properly initially. But once I learnt it, started enjoying life in a saree.

I have come across many men who prefer /like the saree clad look of their wives the best. Thankful for such support. My mil doesn't like my saree wearing and once told me to dress in modern outfits. I told nothing doing because your son likes this only:lol:

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

That so nice, @kalcandu. If we are regular with sarees, we are perfectly comfortable in it and very mobile too. But if we are not, then maintaining a saree gets difficult. The only issue I see is, with saree, a well-fitted blouse looks good and I wish we could sport comfortable loose blouses!:)

kalcandu likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Great exposition on the saree state of affairs Geeta! Nothing is safe from controversy, not even an innocuous garment.

In this saree conundrum my mind kept turning to an old forgotten couplet I'd learned in Hindi class. It was taught as an example of a deceptive figure of speech. The word play is fun and alludes to the deceptively simple, yet surprisingly tricky draping of the garment. : )

Sari beech nari hai ki nari beech sari hai
    sari hi ki nari hai ki nari hi ki sari hai.

(Is the woman in the saree or the saree in the woman,
    does the saree belong to the woman, or the woman belong to the saree?)

GeetaKashyap, yellowmango and Mistt like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

Thanks@Gauri03,

It is sad that every innocuous stuff goes through controversial situations but the worst controversy is to get linked to religion.

The Hindi couplet is very good. It inspired me to come up with another tongue twister, hope you like it;)

Sarita ki saree ke saare kisse sar ki kasam, saraasar sach hai.;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I read all through yet another researched thread from GK. I vote for Salwar-kameez for youngsters and women in public transport and other crowded places like temples etc. this suggestion is keeping in view the modern trend noticed in buses where saree clads get pinched in midriff. it is more preferable to remain less gracious lest one would receive unnecessary attention from malevolent and undesirables.(!)
    I learnt and assimilated about saree from mythological to modern period through this OP and FBs.
    thanks and Regards.
    God Bless Us All.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

@Thyagarajan Sir,

Thanks a million. You always have kind words reserved for me; it means a lot to me.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

You are one of few virtual friends gleaming with and radiating intellectual thinking and larger interest of welfare of society at heart . Naturally you will have large circle of friends in real world too who bless you always
    2. Another thought about Saree crossed my mind. While attending cultural or religious or social functions, women especially South Indian have a penchant to present themselves in silk Saree wearing matching golden jewels and other ornaments. These women are watched by potential thieves and the latter devise ways to steal the jewels from residence or at the function. Display of wealth invite risk. In my anecdote saffron wonder one can find and relate to this statement.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

GeetaKashyap likes this.