1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Improving Self Esteem

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ILUser07, Feb 15, 2018.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

How is he at his work place ? How does he behave to his parents?. Is he face same anger issue everywhere or its only to you? If its only to you, then you cannot say its anger issue. He is taking you for granted. You are the only person who tolerate it. You need to tell him that you cannot do it any more. He need to respect your emotions.

What you do when he complains about silly things like foam over tea. ?

He is treating you like a servant. You are not his mom. you are his wife. Start ignoring him, talk less, start taking decisions your self. You are a working woman, he has to share house hold job instead of ordering you to do things. Stop depending on him too much. Take baby steps-one at a time.Focus on yourself. You need to gain some confidence.

sindmani likes this.
  2. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

He behaves very nicely with other people. He is always smiling and even got so many compliments that he has a very good smiling face. His anger issues are only with me, his parents, his sisters. They will curse on his back when he abuses and behaves normally next day. His sisters take a little long. But we are living in US so they don't get to see this often.

He tells such things with a very serious face. I just do whatever he asks for praying that there shouldn't be any disturbance or fight. I feel too scared to object or argue.

3. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

I read your previous post and this one too.
    1) You are doing the right thing by giving this marriage atleast 1 more year. This time is needed not only to get yourself back on your feet monetary wise but also so that even if ultimately you decide to file for divorce , atleast you will have the satisfaction that you didn't leave any stone unturned. Just use this time very wisely.
    2) You need to be bold . Period . No one will help you out . You have to do it yourself and learn to exert your thoughts . Next time his tea gets cold and he complains , answer with an equally serious face that it has been waiting for him since past 10 mins ( make sure that you knock the restroom and tell him that the tea is ready. )If he says that is everything his mistake, don't falter or get scared of what lies ahead ; simply say that it is no one's mistake . If he is getting late because he doesn't help with the kid , house etc and then gets angry , first ask for help ( "Can you please put on the kid's shoes while I get ready myself?") . If he refuses or throws a tantrum, ask him to go by himself.
    Learn to be decisive and stand by your decisions . If you can't even decide what time you want to start for home etc , how will you decide what is good for you in a larger sense , let's say divorce .

3) He will have to learn that his actions have consequences . Next time he asks you to leave the house, simply say that it is your house too. If he has a problem , then he can leave . Trust me he will be shocked .And might even get physically abusive . If he even raises his hand, tell him very calmly that you will not hesitate to call 911. He might take this as a joke . So you might actually have to do it before he starts taking you seriously.

4) There is a difference in having anger issues and being abusive . Your husband is being abusive under the garb of having anger problems. If you don't stand up for yourself , what would you be teaching your kid ? You will have to start making some changes .

Make all these changes in this 1 year . Keep your focus on your kid, your job and yourself . And if things don't change by the end of this year, you would know what to do.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

It’s great that you have started working. This is a good training ground for you to be able to take decisions on your own, being assertive , establishing social contacts all of which will help you in dealing with your husband . Irrespective of whether you decide to separate from him or not you should start saving money ( separate bank account ) that the husband does not know of. Take time to make connections socially , someone that you can rely on in case of anything. Also learn to take care of all the essentials that you would need to live independently ( driving, filling gas, paying bills) if you aren’t doing that already. Start by taking decisions indepdently for the small things , make that doctors appointment without asking husband. Write down your thoughts/ plans if it helps you be more decisive.
    Take deep breaths and say “ I can do this, I am strong “ .

Once your self esteem / indecisiveness issues are taken care of focus on setting boundaries with husband. Stay firm , do not apologize. Slowly insist that he needs therapy.

By the end of one year when you have to be firm , decisive , independent and self confident. If husband hasn’t taken care of his anger issues by then you have to decide what you want to do. You will be equipped mentally by then to take the right decision. I wish you the best !

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

ILUser, it is very disturbing to read the above. No wonder you are doing whatever it takes to avoid his outbursts. To have to live in such a setting with a little child, freshly back to work, and apparently not much help from husband ... you are going through a lot.

Writing in a diary is fine, but, not enough. You really need professional help. You have already tried reasoning with him when he is calm and he is playing the victim then too.

Other than professional help, it is tough to suggest what might help. You have been through the roller-coaster of ttc, ivf and a mentally and physically tough year after delivery. These would strain any marriage and challenge the energy and spirit of the strongest person and happiest couple. The second one, will also be an ivf? Now, it is clearer why you are considering having second child in India.

Can you try to take a deep breath, remain calm and walk away when he gets angry? Write down immediately what happened. Describe your feelings, the helplessness, the terror and the despair in detail. After you have sufficient entries, you can decide what to do with them, and what to do in general.

Why can't he get the darned buttermilk himself!

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, you have to take a very bold stand.
    If he behaves badly, he shouldn't get any service. You need to show him there is an effect for every bad action from him. It is better to avoid first and see how things going. For example if he gets angry take your kid, dont utter a word and go to another room. Even if he order dont do anything for him completely ignore. Let him take and drink buttermilk himself. If he questions, you can tell him that you cannot tolerate his angry version. Completely ignore his outbursts. Most people get angry to get what they want . It is a controlling mechanism. you need to show that it has no effect on you, but he will suffer. Go on silent mode for sometime. If he is good then do all service you like to do. He should get a feeling that you will be good only if he is good to you.

I agree with @Deborah on how to deal other situations you have mentioned here.
    Start action one by one , slowly improve your confidence. You need to work on yourself. There are so many self-motivating videos and information in youtube and web. Use it. Gain confidence and independence first. You can do it. Then you will get a clear idea on how to proceed further.

7. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

You completely understood my current state @Rihana
    I am planning to have a talk with my husband and explain that I am suffering which I am pretty sure he doesn't even know. I think it is better to talk and let him know rather than burning inside. If he understands, I might have a better life which is least expected. Else, he might have another outburst, which I am prepared for.

When I did a self analysis, I learnt I am a passive communicator. I don't clearly communicate what I want as I am in constant fear on how he will react. And it is a major cause of fights and he keeps saying I am a poor communicator.

This morning he said once my parents leave, if I feed my son and dress him up before i leave to work(At 8AM), he will drop my son at the day care around 9 or when ever is convenient to him. My husband works remote and his work starts at 10AM. On top of it he says he will go to gym from 6.30 - 7.30 in the morning. Which implys that I have to be ready before 6.30. And I just couldn't say anything. He speaks in an aggressive tone which makes me go agree to what ever he says. I couldn't say why can't you feed him.
    Reading the above scenario do you think I need to see a counsellor for self development. I want to become more confident and develop communicating assertively. When I googled I see no reviews for counsellors or therapists. And there are no Indian therapists in my area. How do I get professional help. I live in Dallas by the way

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your parents are here? Or his?

Don't talk with him just yet. Get a grip on yourself, your thoughts, feelings and what you want. Morning routine and evening routine leads to arguments in almost every marriage. In fact, arguing over who does how much of parenting, and does it how well, continues even after kids leave home.

About counselor, my personal opinion is that they don't help much or the help is too slow. Both you and your husband need to agree change is needed and that he needs to pitch in more. You can follow all the counselor says and still no progress with husband. I've often read that see a counselor alone if spouse won't come. Maybe a counselor will help you use better words and to have better control over yourself. But, counselor meetings take time, which is what is at a premium for you currently.

I hope other members will have more useful suggestions.

9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I personally think that counselors are very helpful. When the dynamics of the relationship is set, healthy communication between husband and wife is often challenging. It is not just the housework and chores that you need to communicate, but you need to feel like your emotional needs are also met. As Indian women, I think it's easier for us to forget ourselves while trying to keep the family afloat. Have you heard of a statistic about how women live healthier happier lives, NOT because they are married, but because they have close female friends? I think it's accurate. When we are conditioned to keep our thoughts and frustrations from our social circle (because it will affect how other people view you and your family), we end up holding all our pain in our bodies. There is no benefit to this. If you don't have close friends to share your troubles, having a counselor to pour out your heart, without judgement, can help you process your thoughts better AND you can get an outsider perspective of the difficulities you face. A good counselor can challenge you and give you advice about dealing yourself and people, more so than your own friends (let alone your parents).

Parents are awful confidantes, and friends are sweet, but they are also just as confused about life. Here are some options. I am not sure about any of them, but try calling them up, ask them about insurance stuff, and just try. You have done your self-evaluation, which is important, but it will be helpful for you to have some support, as you overcome your hurdles.

Plano Hindi Therapist - Hindi Therapist Plano, Collin County, Texas - Hindi Counseling Plano, Collin County, Texas
    Dr. Rushina Bhatt, Psychologist, Euless, TX, 76040 | Psychology Today

Rihana and sindmani like this.
  10. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

@BhumiBabe Thank you for the references.
    @Rihana I agree with you that I need to get a grip on myself first. I wanted to talk to him to tell how I am feeling as all these emotions are weighing me down. Its not just about parenting. Few days back my husband tried to be intimate and I felt it very painful. May be because of all these negative emotions. If it continues for few more times, he will outrage that I am not being intimate(which happened in past too when i was a new mom).
    Self development will require lot of time and there will be lot of situations to handle until then.
    As I started working, I am regaining my confidence slowly. I am surprised to see a colleague praising me that I am smart and have instant answers to any problems. It is really.. I dont know how to put it.. very confusing as I am under an impression that I am the dumbest person. My Dh says I dont have any brain and can't decide on the simplest thing and forget very easily, that I am very irresponsible etc etc. And I am living under the same impression that I am not capable of anything. When I received a compliment I thought my colleague is making fun of me.

While it is true that I lost track of things. Not able to remember things like before and easily distracted/diverted. I want to improve myself but don't have a clue on how to do.

Also ladies, any books that might help me, please refer.