1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child Beating Badly

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sweety2016, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sweety2016, a few thoughts:

1. Timeouts - it is an oft-debated concept. Timeout rather than spanking or yelling at the child makes timeout seem more refined, but timeout by itself can be abused even by well-intentioned parent. If the child sees it as a punishment/consequence rather than a time to calm down and reflect on what happened. Parents often threaten child with a timeout, "Do you want a timeout" "I will give you a timeout" That is not what it is meant to be. A recent article explains it well. Time is up for timeouts - CNN

2. Creche managed by ladies from nearby village: This thing got me really thinking. I don't have the bandwidth to be very politically correct here. So bear with any finer sensitivities that are offended. Ladies from a village will not take care of children just like grandparents. Grandparents might not discipline the child, might indulge the child, but they have the child's best interests at heart, and it is not a (low-paying) job they are doing. If the nearby village's untrained ladies were in charge of cleaning, dusting, kitchen etc it is one thing. Them being directly in charge of children is a matter of concern. Not to alarm you, but, you need to look more closely at the creche's setup. Are menfolk related to the village ladies allowed on creche grounds? Are parents allowed to observe without child seeing them? Can parents make unannounced visits? I am guessing there is no fancy stuff like webcam. You may want to be the pioneer and ask the creche to install cameras for parents' peace of mind. If only money is the reason they refuse, a casual search in amazon.in shows nanny cams available for Rs 2500 or so. Perhaps pay to install one or two yourself in the creche?

If child is behaving so strongly at home and hitting as described, I would be really really concerned about what is happening at the creche. Especially, at 1.7 years, children are not fully verbal yet. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but we have read and heard so much about childcare/nanny incidents in India and abroad, that parents have to be very careful and proactive.

3. What to do: Almost every behavior in a child that parents wish to stop, start or modify can be achieved by consistent practice of a few key start, stop, modify in parenting. The steps are often fairly simple, just takes consistency, patience, and sticking to it for a reasonable amount of time. This does not include behaviors due to issues that need professional/medical advice. From the tons of books and guides available, I've found the old-fashioned Adele Faber to be the most useful on how to talk with kids.
    i) How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk: Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish: 8601417249062: Amazon.com: Books
    ii) How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7: Joanna Faber, Julie King: 9781501131639: Amazon.com: Books
    Even if we take away 2-3 things from the books, it is worth it. Been a while since I followed these books, but I remember weeding out from my parenting things like asking the child, "How many times do I have to tell you?", "Didn't I just tell you?" "Why don't you listen?" "If you ..., I will ..." If the text is too long to read, there are cartoons with examples of how parents can converse with child effectively.

Another book I benefited from was 1-2-3 Magic: 3-Step Discipline for Calm, Effective, and Happy Parenting: Thomas Phelan: 9781492629887: Amazon.com: Books Some pdf handouts online give a summary and introduction to the book's strategies. Google "123 magic phelan"

4. Apologizing to child: Parent should apologize to the child when needed. But, right when needed. Children have a very short memory (thankfully!). If parent yells or hits child in anger, immediately go down to the child's height, look her in the eye and briefly apologize in words she understand. A hug. Nothing more like a chocolate or a consequence to mommy like child spank mommy. Cumulative apology to child when lying in bed confuses the child and dilutes parental authority when it needs to be dispensed. A general apology in a happy time, long after a tough tiring day, can make the mom feel better but doesn't help overall. When child is a little older, like 6 or 7, then, they are ready to talk about parenting errors that parent committed beyond a few minutes earlier.

As with any challenging parenting phase, this too, shall pass. My daycare provider told me this when my child was 18 months old and I despaired at the lack of progress with potty training. She told me to believe her when she says no child has gone to kindergarten in diapers. (KG is 5 years where I live).

The part about creche is not intended to alarm you in any way. My child at 7 or 8, or was it 9 years, complained of severe stomach ache after a particular extra curricular activity which he/she liked very much and went to willingly. For weeks, we didn't understand and stayed puzzled. Talked a lot with child. Sibling also went to same activity. Sibling was fine. Finally, after talking with a close friend of mine, we decided to pull out child from that place. Now years later, reading about Larry Nassar and the regret the parents are dealing with at not having protected child, we feel we did the right thing. Larry Nassar sentenced to up to 175 years in prison for decades of sexual abuse - CNN

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Sweety2016, MonikaSG, Naari and 5 others like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi!

I have a couple of suggestions and see if they work for your child. Since I haven't been following this thread, please ignore if anybody has already given these suggestions or you have tried them already.

1. Cut sugars from her diet. In some conditions like ADD/ADHD etc this is a suggestion given. Let me make it clear, I am not suggesting that your kid could have these conditions. My view is that what works for those kids works for us too. Even in regular children and adults cutting down sugars is said to have a calming effect. You could google and check. And by trial n error evaluate whether any particular food is triggering 'hyper behaviour' and then remove a type of food from her diet for a week and observe if it makes any difference. Keeping a log helps to monitor better. These days everything is adulterated.

2. As an attention seeking behaviour, kids could display impatience and anger. Even excessive attention feeds this behaviour.

3. Watch your behaviour. If you are a hyper mum, she will get encouraged. Don't pay her attention when she is irritable. keep an eye on her from a distance and remove potentially harmful materials from her reach. If she cries ignore.(it is difficult but..) When she finds that you don't succumb she will give up this 'learned/reinforced' behaviour.

4. Give constructive play items that will engage her instead of high excitement toys like those noisemakers and very brightly coloured ones. If possible remove highly distracting things from the surroundings. Can you play some relaxation music for her?

5. Since your kid is small, if she enjoys, allow her to sit in a tub and play in the water with toys. this will calm her. Don't give hard toys with which she may harm herself or others. When she is older she could play in a sand pit or with clay for calming.

6. Could something at the daycare be triggering? Can you immediately change the centre? We hear a lot of negative things happening at daycare centres right from making children sleep with the help of medicines to physical abuse! Rule this out immediately. Is she being bullied or punished physically?

7. Both parents should be consistent and firm while disciplining, talk slowly and firmly catching her attention while maintaining eye-contact. Children as young as yours are capable of reading a firm movement of a finger or a nod.

Parenting is one of the toughest jobs on this earth. We become parents without any study or training!

All the best. Enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Sweety2016, MonikaSG and Sandycandy like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I hope to eventually get him to understand this. At this time, it's really difficult to emphasize that this time is for reflection, and feels more effective as a punishment

When Op mentioned this, I felt the same thing. It really worried that these were not trained women, who followed some protocol on dealing with children. I don't mean that uneducated woman cannot be effective caregivers, but those with early childhood background are able to deal with large groups of children and manage personalities and problems using a specific school of thought. When they notice that one child is prone to biting or pulling hair, they would quickly figure out how to deal with it, and keep it from becoming chaos in the childcare room.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Your comment here is so disrespectful to the parents of the little child. I am sure they have enough love that they give him, you just ASS-UMED that the WHOLE family scolds and beats him. Don’t be sorry for the little fellow , be sorry for your comment!

MonikaSG likes this.
  5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Sandycandy

I went today with him to the bus stop to spend sometime with him. Thanks to all who suggested me this. I observed his behaviour and found that he shouts only when other person do not agree to him as he wants to. Otherwise he is very polite and behave very nicely. I think I should get agree to him or explain him politely the reason of disagreement. If he do not shout for few days he will forget his behaviour as @Rihana said. Anything more that I should add on to this then please feel free to advice.

Sandycandy, BhumiBabe and Sweety2016 like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana op mentioned the creche was run ny her institution so i ignored the niggle, because there could have been a screening by the organization. don’t discount the village ladies, they do a better job then some of the regular creches in ciities in india. that said @Sweety2016 i hope you are convinced on safety aspects in the creche if not better reevaluate.

Sweety2016 likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@MonikaSG somebody at home must be shouting their point across and he is trying to copy that. and please some kids are handful and it is not their fault, we as parents need to understand and work with them. he needs to understand shouting does not make his view right and you will listen only if he talks clear and without shouting. it is a practice.

and yes if you get your hands on adele faber books, nothing like it according to my son’s counsellor..

MonikaSG likes this.
  8. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

@Rihana thanks a ton for your suggestions..Its ok to be alarmed than be sorry..But for my own assessment also let me write about the set up in brief..This might give the readers a better idea and suggestions for me as well..

I am a central govt employee and we have a creche within our institution campus to admit only children of employees. There are a total of 12 children in the age group of 1 yr- 8 yrs managed by 3 ladies ocassionally 4. My office is about a km from creche and I visit her daily once mainly during lunch hours. Similarly all parents keep visiting every now and then..But we can visit the children any time. The creche is located in the ground floor and has a total of 4 rooms..One is the dining room, two for sleeping and one for changing with attached washroom. Adjacent to the creche is a mess for students who pursue higher education in our institute. Students keep coming and going every now and then.. And of course there are security guards roaming around. Even after all this I dont trust the ladies completely. If a child is being too naughty I doubt they spank them not sure though. Definitely no parent can control this as it might happen within those 4 rooms. But we have elder children and I befriend with them. They do reveal it to their parents if at all some lady scolds a kid or so.
    I have to mention that the management is poor. People hold meetings for hours to discuss why we should not pay a 100 rs extra to the care taker, purchase a webcam or bare essentials like buckets, mugs, slippers, pottyseat (its been years together and still we dont have a pottyseat and cam). Actually the money has to be sanctioned by the institute and it takes long time as we have many committes. I purchase somethings from my pocket and people readily use them. Once I insisted we spend from our money for webcam(2000/- each max) instead of depending on the institution but nobody consented. I was sidelined as I keep pestering for faster implementation. The care takers work for less wages and take care of everything for the smooth running of creche. And so definitely they feel frustrated. But I can do little about it..I really cant understand why a class I officer cant afford 100 rs extra to a caretaker who takes care of their children for the entire day.T.From my side whenever possible I give something to all of them, appreciate them and empathize with them...With this I surrender to god to take care of my child as I dont have any other option left..I pray each day that my child grow little bit so that she can talk a little so that she can express herself.

If am missing out something or if there is some alarming loophole somewhere pl suggest me.

Rihana likes this.