Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Just concentrating on the job at hand is where you start. you can certainly do it.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @jskls
    It is the result of being mindful.
    We will begin to notice many things that we would not have done when being mindless.

kaniths and jskls like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@GeetaKashyap ,

Staying so far away from home and having never done yoga/meditation while growing up, I chose to stick with one teacher. It is amazing how strong each one of these meditation groups here are. Like you said, it finally comes down to what we want as individuals and choose. Fortunately I do have friends from each of these groups and it is fascinating to listen to them. That said, they all speak the same language eventually.

You are so right here -
    I have also been fortunate to have had a guru all my life. She moved on very recently at a ripe age of some 93 odd years! I do miss her so very much. My yoga teacher now helps me every now and then with questions and doubts but to be honest, I have slipped in my practice. I follow mostly/only Ashtanga yoga and mantra chanting for all my spiritual needs. As for reading, for the most part though while Dr.Dyer influences my DH, I just follow what Richard Bach has to say. Rest, I accept as blessings as and when they come into life. I am truly truly grateful for the guidance I receive and it is amazing how often this happens.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    girvani, kkrish, kaniths and 2 others like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Srama,

That's the advantage of Staying away from India; you grow greater fondness and love for everything Indian and cherish it. You also excel in it. But for many of us staying in India, we see so much of mediocrity that some of us value our heritage less. Mediocrity is an accepted integral part of our everyday life. Our children believe that everything foreign is superior! When I was interacting with a foreigner on some spiritual stuff, he was so awed that I was an Indian and he said, "You are so lucky; you have so many spiritual masters to guide you and for us, it is such a long journey." My mental reaction was,"What? Spiritual Masters! Where are they? We have a 'Guru' in every road end and most are not trustworthy!" But I gave him a Gyani smile and moved away quickly!:)

kkrish, Srama, Gauri03 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aww! That is adorable. See that kid should be the mascot for this thread -- I sees puddle, I jumps. Thoroughly immersed in the moment. He has his priorities straight. : )

SunPa, Rihana and kaniths like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Reading and comprehension

In the best interest of everyone, I am going to raise questions about several aspects of life. As we all know 80% of what we learn is from our eyes. Therefore our eyes play a major role on our lives.

I used to read so fast and one day I saw my father spending a lot of time reading. I thought he was slow in grasping things. That is when he opened my eyes. Reading involves not only grasping the content but also involves enjoying the eloquence of expressive writing and visualizing what is being discussed.

There are many writers who are excellent in not only linguistic expression but also in narration. Connecting reading to the mindfulness, please share your thoughts about how you enjoy reading.

Viswa

7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra

I enjoy the material when I can visualise and empathise and I like it better with images as I am a visual learner. I like my reading material in an easy flowing mode without unnecessary twist and turn of the language. Tricky language hinders my speed and enjoyment. When I am reading and visualising simultaneously, I guess I am mindful.

I also enjoy tricky wordplay and witty interactions. On heavy subjects, I prefer straight brief points as I lose my way amid lengthy scholarly explanations! Brief WhatsApp messages give me a lot of Gyan compared to the scholarly texts.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

To me personally, both language and matter matter equally.
    Matter is like plain day to day cooking whereas the matter couched in better expression or
    language is like 'marriage dinner'.language seems to have some emotional impact and induces to read more and more.Even with regards to establishing culture, language has its own place.

jayasala42

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap had written about me too :)

Viswamitra and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Multi-tasking

I have written so many times against multi-tasking not to trivialize those who can do it easily. I feel our brain is a sequential processor and can fully engage only in one activity at a time and the other has to be an auto-pilot. Considering mindfulness, how can we train ourselves not to multi-task and get indulged in a single activity at a time? For example, if we are making a phone call while driving, we put our driving on an auto-pilot mode with eyes watching the road and the legs on the pedals. We know how many children die in the roads every year because of texting while driving.

A mindful driving involves, complete focus on the road, watching the one behind us through rear view and giving way for the driver to pass us if we are driving slow, slow down gradually if the vehicle in front of us come to an abrupt stop, watch for sick vehicles, move away from the passing lane after passing a vehicle in a highway, be courteous to a driver by letting him/her join if he/she is waiting to get out of a shopping mall if all traffic in front of us stopped for a traffic light, pay attention to the school bus and so on. In fact, I feel in defensive driving classes for tickets, they must teach mindfulness in driving more than the traffic rules.

@Gauri03, I am starting these series of questions to apply mindfulness in practical life and I hope you don't mind.

Viswa

HappyBunny, Gauri03 and GeetaKashyap like this.