1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Heart Cries For My Sis Who Is Now A Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by blessed, Feb 14, 2018.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I think it is important to realize that OP is not the MIL, and does not know the ins and outs of her sister's relationship with son and DIl in great detail. I know for a fact that my MIL does not share that type of information to her sisters, and neither does my own mother.
    Money and gifts may seem like things that can sour the relationship, but it could very well be an off-hand comment or an unintentional slight. Even mentioning that DIL had an attitude during her wedding, would create distance in an In law relationship. Are those things that OP's sister can pinpoint and tell her sister about? probably not.
    In OP's story, I don't think a bad DIL would be the reason for the distance. Something must have happened between the OP's sister and her son, or possibly the son and daughter.

Amica, blessed, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking a bit more about the son's request. Speaking for myself, if my son or daughter made such a request that we "give" a gift they pay for, I might wonder where I went wrong in bringing them up. Either way, I would blame my child or myself, not his or her partner.

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ideal situation is as described above. It was a short stay indeed and good opportunity for son and DIL to host them nicely no matter what the other issues.

But life is often far from ideal. More so, with children marrying their own choices, and often after falling in love, where no attention is given to family backgrounds matching. Relationship with DIL or son-in-law can be strained due to many reasons. That does not mean reduce relationship with son or daughter also. If he cannot host you, stay in a hotel or airbnb. Work with him so you can have quality time together, while minimizing related tensions in his home.

I hope when my time comes, if my DIL or son-in-law is not exactly in favor of me staying at their place, or simply can't stand me for some reason, I can meet them briefly as a family, say hello/hi, and then spend time outside the home with my child (and grandkids if any). Staying at their place need not be a requirement. If I let my enjoyment of the visit depend on how much my child's spouse likes me or tolerates me, I am putting avoidable burden on my child. I would focus on what I want the most - time with my child, grandkids. Be cool but nice enough to the child's spouse to be able to get that time with minimal unpleasantness all around.

Grand resolutions ha ha.. .only time will tell. : )

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Agreed. The blame has to be assigned to the DS not the partner. How annoying though! Do this so your "status" matches whatever I've gotten myself into :)
    Traditionally the girl's parents have done this. The guy's parents demand, girls parents give or girl funds the giving. Even that leads to friction. Once you give, the pathway to more giving opens up. Kids will come along. It will be expected to do for the grandkids. When do these parents live for themselves? All along looks like OP and her sisters have dealt with in-laws and other issues. They deserve a free reign of their money and lives now. I do see what you are saying. Give the gift to start the relationship on the right footing. Stored for future use :)
    Kya zamana aaya hai! Now we have to look for hotels/airbnbs in kids cities! Hmmmmmm!

blessed, Sandycandy and deepthyanoop like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I will be honest here. If my parents had money and if I know my partner would only appreciate my parents if they give expensive gifts I would do the same. Request them to give it and later on cover the expense. Sometimes we need to give and take to build the initial stages of relationship. If same request had come after few years then parents have every right to deny. Considering the cost of marriage in Bangalore like what OP is describing I'm assuming the parents would have spent a crore. If other side is asked to do 10% of that which I believe they could afford they could have done it. Looks like new generation problem.

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Is the new generation really this materialistic? The son and DIL live in the US, and there is little need for expensive jewelry and clothes here. I can't imagine that the expensive gift would have made any difference. Why should the parents "project" a showy image of gracing the DIL with a really expensive gift? I understand that in India, there are things done for formality's sake, but how would that benefit an NRI?

blessed, Sandycandy and deepthyanoop like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Well the boy side literally walked into the marriage like guests. Isn't that materialistic to begin with ?
    The incident happened in India. Lot of talks happen behind the scenes. Marriage is a huge expense then how can gifts alone be classified as materialistic? If my partner is materialistic and in other ways respect me then I will just ask my parents to do the needed to avoid friction.

Rihana and nakshatra1 like this.
  8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

IMHO, if this is the way i have to go about dealing with my son's family, i would consider them no more family but some strangers with whom i am communicating with. On the other hand we hear everywhere ' modern' parents of girls feel they are 'entitled' to have their full say in their child's life whether married or not and should be at liberty to visit / stay as they please. I know a lot can be read into this reply saying this is a typical MIL talking, but clearly if I have to be on guard in dealing with my own family , I would consider it a shame.

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

With due respect ma’am, we got to this situation after decades of exploitation and ill treatment of dils & her parents at the hand of the husband’s family. So, when finally after years of rebellion if things are starting to look better & equitable for daughter & her parents, we cannot suddenly bring in arguments of equality & justice for boy’s family now. The offenders that gave rise to the grief cannot switch sides to be protected under the remedy. Everyone had a chance, it wasn’t used wisely for sure; I see the tables turning now!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

This is true only in few cases. As a person I vote for both set of parents having cordial relationship with a couple. Equality as well as peaceful coexistence between both set of parents is important. But ideal situation is not what happens everywhere. Either boy's parents or girl"s parents start their domination gradually. After a certain point problem starts between couple or parents etc .

joylokhi and Sandycandy like this.