1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Heart Cries For My Sis Who Is Now A Mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by blessed, Feb 14, 2018.

1. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

It is not rare for couples to fight on topics of Inlaws or SILs. But most sons make sure they do their part for his parents.Even if the relationship between the son and DIL wasnt so good, the son alone could have come and given some office reason for his wife's absence. That way even the parents wouldnt have found anything awkward. He made sure that he displayed his odd behavior deliberately.

It is bad to blame the DIL for the son's wrong behavior. If the son himself is ready to explicitly show an awkward behavior why would the girl be bothered?

2. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you ladies for analyzing the situation and giving your genuine opinion.
    No matter what his actions definitely cannot be justified, even if he had personal problem he could have dealt it in a different way.

A little more details regarding the DIL and our family.

Jan 2017 was the wedding in Bangalore (she is from Bangalore) marriage was held in grand scale in a private posh resort, Bride and groom arrived just 5 days prior to the wedding, everything was very well arranged by the brides family including rooms for the grooms family, nothing was demanded everything was voluntarily done by girls family, it almost looked like a royal wedding, sister and family was very much satisfied and proud, but the bride showed lot of attitude, even as we were introduced to her she showed less interest and was busy with her cousins and friends, this hurt us but we thought probably this is how a young bride with lot of friends behave...

Son told his parents to gift her diamond set (worth 10 lakhs) which he was prepared to pay for it later, but sister said she could afford a coral set around 4 K and this is their gift and he need not pay for it.

so may be this could also be the reason

Rihana likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It is an unfortunate situation to be in.
    Blaming DIL for this issue is not do anything good.
    It is the responsibility of children to treat their parents well and vice versa. It has nothing to with a good DIL or bad DIL
    If he has any respect to his mother, he could have visited her at least once. If he cannot respect his parents, no one can expect his wife (DIL of his parents) to do the same
    Look like there is some ongoing issue going between his parents and him. If his mother dont have a clue, she need to ask him. May be your friend is not sharing you what has happened between them.
    Lack of communication is the issue.

If money and diamond necklace is an issue they should talk to each other solve it. Expecting parents to give such a huge gift is not a good approach from his side. He can gift his wife anything he wants to. Money is a very sensitive issue and can spoil relationships.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    sindmani, Sandycandy and NeetaR like this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

In defense of the bride, if she was nice, touching her ILs feet at the wedding HER FAMILY PAID FOR, she would be the one to create new threads on IL right now.

And her IL still would not be satisfied.

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha ! CE 100% right !

@blessed your nephew is an entitled brat. Your sister needs to put him on a long “timeout” session. Meanwhile tell your sister to use her precious money to travel ( I can recommend places), buy a coral/ diamond set for herself . Let the kid sulk in the corner .

chocolate, sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The promises to selves were made with full sincerity by you and your sisters. We all make such promises and resolutions. But when it comes to reality, we will not be able to recognize the small departures from our promises since we are still comparing ourselves with our previous generation and thinking we are so much better. We have a laundry list of do's and don'ts in our mind based on our experience with parents and in-laws. We follow that and give ourselves a pat on the back. While the cycle of gaps between generations continue.

"sister and family was very much satisfied" -- typical boy's side attitude being "satisfied" or not satisfied with the wedding arrangements. The "but the bride showed lot of attitude" -- is also typical boy's side complaint. Feeling that bride, her siblings, parents did not properly welcome or invite-to-eat-more guests from the boy's side is age old. The girl was getting married, had arrived just days before. Cut her some slack!

" but we thought probably this is how a young bride with lot of friends behave " -- so typical in-law comment. Feel 'hurt' and then assign such a reason. The kid was in the U.S.. Meeting friends and cousins after long maybe. It is her wedding day. Grandly arranged by parents. She was inattentive is noticed by in-laws. We all know in weddings, introductions go over the head. You gauge their age and touch their feet if needed, smile and fold hands and say the few words expected.

These little things show up in the interactions later too. These little dissatisfactions with what the girl does, how she does, what she wears, etc etc. even in the few days she spends with in-laws.

Son asked parents to gift her 10 lakhs diamond set that he will pay for, they gifted her a 4K coral set. I hope the 4K is a typo, and they gave a 4 lakh gift! They are well-to-do enough to buy own U.S. tickets, travelers checks and each personally carried 5000 dollars for U.S. trip! The grand wedding was voluntarily done by girl's side. The boy's side "did not demand" anything. They could have "volunteered" to pay for some wedding costs or "insisted" on at least paying for their own rooms.

IMO, they should have given the gift son wanted them to and let him pay for it. The grand wedding (which they were satisfied with) is not the time to stand to one's principles. Such give and take is needed in a wedding and after it too. I used to routinely buy gifts for my parents/sibling to give to to my in-laws. My husband and I routinely helped my in-laws pick gifts for my parents. I used to be given a wad of notes fresh from the bank by my FIL and told 'go get gifts for us to give your parents. you know what saree, what shirt/pant to buy' : ) If the boy wanted an expensive gift and he pays for it.. ideal would have been for parents to go along. The girl would want to tell and show people what her in-laws gifted. Of course, there is the risk that she will later say her husband paid for it...

Son wanted parents to gift his bride a 10 lakhs gift that he would later pay for. They declined. Parents wanted to book a Thomas Cook trip for him and his wife... He declined.

blessed, the thread has been eye-opening for people who will become in-laws in the next few years. I've come to realize we can decide to be non-interfering and etc, but, we will slip many times. : ) For another example, what is "still pampered by her parents" got to do with anything? After marriage, parents should stop pampering a girl?
    I have learnt a lot from thread -- I cannot simply land at my child's house and expect to be hosted, even for a week. If visiting their city or town, I have to check whether they have time in the weekend to meet with me. More along those lines -- step back in many ways from child's life once they are adults, working, married ... One small example -- do not hog their birthday. Let their spouse be the first to wish them. The more I think, the more I realize I will need lot of reminding (mostly from DH, he is good at this) to step back. blessed, thank you for the thread and for being so welcoming of all responses.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    bron, SCA, kalpas and 12 others like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

IMO No .
    I hope u see the irony. On one hand we want our children to be independent / transparent and move away from the issues we faced during our times . On the other we want to continue to encourage appearances. I wouldn't do it. My child is more than welcome to buy a gift for his spouse but it will not be passed of as mine. Just because his in-laws throw a lavish party for his wedding out of their own accord does not mean I have to cough up an expensive gift. Just because I might be able to afford it does not mean I have to :)

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not coughing up an expensive gift against one's wishes or principles would be the 'right' thing to do. Standing up to principles comes at a cost. Sometimes the cost is some alienation. Unfortunate.

I dare say with more details coming to the fore from OP, it is becoming clearer that a strained parent-child relationship was to blame rather than an uncooperative spouse.

For the record, if my parents threw a grand wedding and my in-laws gifted me a 4K set.. I'd not be jumping in joy at the thought of hosting them in the U.S. (even if they finance their trip). One can say it is the love and thought and blessings that count, but if indeed the gift was worth 4K, I am really shocked.

Gotta go. Mulberry bush calls. : )

nakshatra1 and abla like this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Just as spending time with a sibling/ parent regardless of a spouses stand is the right thing to do.
    And yet we are a tad more flexible with one "right" and not the other.

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@blessed -
    Your sister has to talk to her son. She needs to hear the full story from the son. Ask her to not trust the DD blindly. We don't know what happened there. Who knows the full story.
    From experience, parents don't stop pampering. Even now my sarees and blouses are bought and stitched. Matching jewelry is arranged. My Dad is at the airport with flask of well water from home when I travel alone. Mom is making all of my favorite food. I've been married for two decades. The pampering won't cease in some families. It continues. My parents want to do more, they would love to spend on me. My DH doesn't allow it. In all these years, my mom told my DH during our last trip that she has a right to spend on me and he cannot forbid it. Even now my parents assert their rights over me.
    Parents will come first for the DIL. My MIL understood the kind of upbringing and family I came from right at the begining. She made the first steps to connect with me. She would make sure that she spoke to me more during those weekend 20 mins calls. She always told my DH you are my own son and can understand me, let me talk to her. Every vacation, she would go out of her way to make me comfortable. When kids came along, she has come and helped. Only because she continues to be the bigger person, I continue to be the connected DIL. Even then, my parents come first. She knows that. She always says that's how it's supposed to me. What you have told your sister, to call her DIL and to start some form of communication is sound advice. In this day and age when whatsapp and other services are availalbe, sending her a text once in a while and having a conversation with her doesn't sound so intense.

Regarding "attitude" - parents do raise daughters also as equals these days. What you feel was attitude maybe what she thinks as independence. It's generation gap. Such things happen in all weddings, best to let it go and not let it ruin relationship with son.

Btw, I don't think the diamond set was needed. She can give the DIL whatever she feels like. DIL's parents sponsoring a lavish wedding is their wish. Coral set is what she could give and she gave it.
    Not enough people raise their sons to be who they are, they have to give diamond sets too? That's ridiculous.

bron, SCA, cinderella06 and 9 others like this.