1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be The Magic!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

The Sun is out! Finally! Never mind it is just 23 F outside, or that the snow is sitting not melting one bit in that bright sun or that Puxatawny had just predicted 6 more weeks of winter not so long ago. The Sun is out and that is all that matters. I roll down the window and feel the cold breeze come through, my dog's face looking out, loving the feel of the wind on his face. Squinting against the bright sun, all I can think of is the sun is out and grin like a kid who has just opened her present and found what she wanted.

Watching the clouds here and there in the bright sky, with too much on my mind I am thinking of Bach “A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed...It feels an impulsion...this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.” I am as always excited to meet her. Meeting her, talking with her only reminds me of the clouds and Bach again. She rubbishes all my fears and apprehensions and says "Girl! Be the magic!" How powerful those words are.

I come home with a grin on my face. Celebrating Valentine day with your students watching a Charlie Brown 'Be My Valentine' does that you know! Feelings of love are in the air. How genuinely they believe that the day is to spread love. I have learnt to keep aside my own feelings and enjoy the little hearts as they go around sharing. I think of my own college days. Wearing a red and white chudidhar to college that would invariably get me into trouble, that too during our morning prayer was the biggest and the only event for the day! My DH looks at my idiotic grin and goes with a simple raised questioning eyebrow and I show him a card I have received. It simply says "Whatever your heart wishes for, my heart wishes for you. I love all your classes so much Mrs.S". What a genuine wish! I wish I could wish that for everyone I come across and that genuinely! Any other child, I would have put it aside that the child might have not read the card before giving. But this one, he is such a precocious nine year old. After all, in my last class after learning about the heart, he had raised his hand only to ask "If the heart has all these functions, why is it called the seat of emotions?" throwing me completely off guard.

As I sit watching the snow fall gently, I do think I hear a bird or two chirp. The accumulation is not too much and I know it is going to melt and soon. After all, the feel of spring is in the air. Sprouts are slowly rearing their heads almost as if standing tall in challenge, bravely assuring us humans looking for life that it is almost there. Chipmunks have been out and about exciting my dog. Why, even the fog the other day! As I stop to take pictures on my run to my chiding friend, all I can tell her is "Don't you see the magic? That water tower in that heavy fog looks like a space ship to me". She can only shake her head in a "I give up!" and wait for me. If I can't be the magic yet, can I not see it at least?

Thyagarajan, meril, kkrish and 10 others like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Srama buddy when you say magic i was waiting for a reference to bach. and happy valentine’s day to you..

there is magic in everything only you need to feel it..much to the chagrin of my husband who does not understand what do i see in the clouds as we fly!!

50EB2B76-44FA-46E8-B8FF-D220D7955BF8.jpeg
    dont they look like floating popcorns up for grabs!

! 9F832FF5-CE81-460C-9884-42A8F4E708ED.jpeg

and you are bowled when you see a shoreline so beautiful from that height..

meril, jskls, Gauri03 and 7 others like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama
    My dear Sabi
    Yes. Truly so. In Chennai too, we shout the Sun is out and warn people to run for an umbrella or a shady tree. We all know the song 'The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain' but here we sing 'The Sun in India stays mainly in the plains'!
    upload_2018-2-19_15-36-21.jpeg
    These are not followers of the bandit Phoolan Devi. These are girls of Chennai armed against the Sun!

Thyagarajan, kkrish, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

Reading your snippet itself is a magic. Bach quote was exquisite.

Valentine's day and my husband doesn't go together and it is banned in our household as he believes that it is a marketing strategy. That didn't stop me and boys having some special fun together as it was a school holiday too. I can imagine the love you felt when you have received your student card. That is simply beautiful and that validates the point it is important to visibly show your love to one and others too.

Coming back to clouds, I too have a strong affection towards them as they make me feel smile. Now my kids started enjoying the clouds but they see them as the giant/superhero/their favorite vehicles. Enjoy the last few weeks of snowy weather then we will talk about blooming flowers and the entry of spring.
    Love,
    Vani

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    When we do not see sun for many days and one day when appears it is festival. I pined for sun in UK whereas I used to curse the same sun in Hyderabad! Whole London city is on streets when sun appears.
    Bach quote is beautiful! Yes, one has to see beyond to see the screen which presents the pictures. Blue sky...on it floating clouds in various shapes according to our imagination. As kids we used to view various animal caricatures and now more subtle things.
    Your nine year old student's question is cute. Very valid doubt.
    In my view whole nature is magic!!! We should have the heart to feel and enjoy it you have that heart and present us beautifully which we many times take for granted.
    You are a born nature lover!!!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan, kkrish, Srama and 2 others like this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Srama, Wow! A post talking about nature's beauty as she changes her outfit!

@Cheeniya Sir, loved your desi version along with an image! "These are not followers of the bandit Phoolan Devi. These are girls of Chennai armed against the Sun!" The caption was too good. Recently, there was a WhatsApp message showing a girl in hijab and another protecting herself from the sun using a scarf and the caption said: "Divided by faith but united by pollution."

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

- Bach

I see this statement beyond a simple explanation of the nature's play. Sky in the Hindu mythology is considered Ether and it is our ability to discriminate and the clouds are the thoughts. Only our discriminating power knows where our thoughts were going. When we lift ourselves high enough beyond the normal day to day life, We will see the beauty of our discrimination power toying with our thoughts. Moreover, the lighter we keep our thoughts with no emotions embedded in it, it is easier for them to move.

This 9 year old certainly cross the barrier of leading life with the five senses. He is contemplating "why's" and "how's"?

The world around us is a magic and the beauty of it is impressive. Even everyone of us is a magic having come from the same source but appears so different from each other.

Viswa

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Thyagarajan, Srama and GeetaKashyap like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Shan, @Shanvy

Thank you for that lovely treat of clouds. The second one is unbelievable, would have never put it down to shore till you mentioned and I could see it immediately. Yes the sky is a magical world and thankfully the likes of us never tire of it. I am learning that Bach provides me an insight that I did not existed. rarely will you see me with out his book or thinking about him.

Shanvy likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

:grinning:!! Am I allowed to start with a smiley? Oh well.
    Seriously sir, something must have happened. Growing up in Bangalore, I remember many a day when we would look forward to that sun, especially during the monsoons. I remember mom constantly complaining about the washed clothes not getting dried. May be it is me, constantly looking for that sunshine. Do you think it has become a habit with me? may be I should come in peak summer to experience the sun you talk of.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

You are the sweetest person ever! I do have some colleagues who spend time talking about St.Valentine and frowning the celebration but I will take anything that can cheer up a dreary wintry day and if it is love, why not, that too from little ones. So you are right on, celebrating with your boys. Glad you did it.

This, here my friend
    put a broad smile on my face. So happy to have you for company. My mind is already working on the yard, a few changes here and there coming up and i can't wait to see the magic of flowers and blooms. In fact today and tomorrow are supposed to be warm with record highs for the season and I am wondering if I should be out and about ding some planting especially it being a long weekend as well.

Thank you as always for your lovely feedback.

Thyagarajan likes this.