1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Veena

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by muggs, Feb 2, 2018.

1. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Chapter 18

“Ti-ti, Ti-ti, Ti-ti” alarm clock started buzzing. Veena came out of her thoughts and realized she has not slept all night after Akansha left her room last night after telling about Veer. She looked at the clock. It is 7 A.M. in the morning. She turned off the alarm and sat on the bed. Rakesh was still sleeping. She took a glass of water and drank it. It was felt like, she had lived her life’s 30 years once again in just one night. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She started thinking about Akansha and Veer. Veena knew it would not be easy but she had decided she will convince everyone for this marriage and give her daughter her happiness at any cost.

She got ready and prepared breakfast for everyone. After Akansha and Akshay left for their work and college, Veena thought of talking to Rakesh. He was reading the newspaper and sipping his tea.

“Rakesh, I want to talk to you about something.” Veena started.

“I am reading the newspaper, can’t you see? Let me have my tea peacefully.” Rakesh, as usual, got irritated.

“Rakesh, this is important. It's about our daughter and her future.” Veena tried to get his attention.

“What happened now? Did she get another job or want to study more? She had studied enough.” Rakesh started assuming.

“No, it’s not about job or study. I am talking about her marriage.” Veena interrupted him.

“Marriage… hmm… you are right. We should think about it. Now she should get married and settled.” Rakesh gave a positive look.

This gives Veena some more courage and she thought of convincing Rakesh.

“Yes. So I want a boy and a family who understands our daughter, her ambitions, give respect to her decisions as well.” Veena expressed her feelings.

“Hmm… that’s all fine but most importantly we should look for a reputed family background. I think we should give Akansha’s biodata in our community’s matrimonial service and they will look for suitable matches in our community. Also, we can ask our relatives if they know any good matches.” Rakesh started talking typically.

“No… no, we don’t need to do all this.” Veena put a brake on his thoughts.

“Why?” Rakesh looked at her puzzled.

“Rakesh, please listen to me patiently. You know Akansha’s friend Veer. They are together since college and very good friends. They both like each other. They want to spend their lives together.” Veena said very softly.

But as expected Rakesh showed no patience and his voice raised, “Ohh… So she has already chosen her life partner. I told you not to give her so much freedom. Now look she found herself a match outside of our community. Our family backgrounds are totally different. I knew this, after her study and job she will do whatever she wants to do.” Rakesh angrily throws the newspaper on the table.

“Rakesh, you are overreacting. Akansha is mature. She understands her good and bad. Yes, she has studied and doing the job so what? It doesn’t mean she has forgotten her values. If she wanted, she can just inform us but no. She has asked for our permission. She wanted our blessings and support.
    And what are you talking about community and reputation? Our daughter’s happiness is above all this. Veer is from a decent family. He is settled and self-reliant. And most importantly he loves and understands Akansha. He will always be by her side. Rakesh, I request you, do not think typically. Please think about Akansha. Think about her happiness. This is about her whole life.” Veena folded her hands.

Rakesh’s anger faded listening to Veena’s words but he is still not convinced.

“I need some time to think over it.” He told Veena and left for the shop.

Veena tried her best but as she knows Rakesh’s nature, she had not many hopes. But she had decided that this time she will not give up and fight for her daughter’s happiness.

She thought that she will talk once again in the evening when Rakesh will be back. Her phone rang and she went to answer the call.

“Hi, Sahil… How are you?” Veena answered the call.

“I am fine. How are you? I hope I am not disturbing you.” Sahil said.

“No… nothing like that. Just finishing up household work.” She replied.

Sahil spoke for few minutes but he realized Veena is not saying anything.

“What happened Veena? Is everything fine?” Sahil checked.

“No… Yes... I mean ok. Yes, everything ok.” Her mind is still thinking about her conversation with Rakesh.

“Look Veena, I know there is something bothering you. But its okay if you don’t want to share it.” Sahil couldn’t force her.

“No Sahil, it's just… Actually, it is about Akansha.” Veena told Sahil whole story and about the conversation with Rakesh.

“I don’t want my daughter to compromise and live her life sulking.” Veena told Sahil with a heavy voice.

“I understand Veena. We don’t want our kids adjusting and compromising their whole life like we did.” Sahil’s voice was also turned heavy.

They both were silent but their hearts were talking.

Sahil handled himself and spoke again, “I am sure you will convince everyone and Akansha’s marriage will be a huge celebration. If you need any kind of help, please let me know. I will do whatever I can.”

Veena felt better listening Sahil’s word. She really needed this mental support at this point.

“Yes, I will make it happen.” Her aim has now become stronger.

“That’s the spirit. Okay, I will call you later. Bye.” Sahil felt positivity in Veena’s voice.

“Bye Sahil and Thanks.” Veena smiled.

They hung up.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Loved this line..

Like the way story is going

muggs likes this.
  3. Saiveda

Saiveda New IL'ite

nice story...keep writing..love it

muggs likes this.
  4. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Superb Narration.

Veena, Sahil, Rakesh , thier house, Veena 's papa all seems in front of my eyes... Kudos to your writing :clap2::clap2:

muggs and ratan like this.
  5. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

@muggs.. ! Wow. Super se uper.

muggs likes this.
  6. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you :)

7. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

@Saiveda Thanks for your feedback :)

8. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your appreciation :)

9. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Ha ha.. Thanks a lot :)

10. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Chapter 19 – Final Episode

After an hour, Veena finished her work and thought of going to his father’s house. Her father came to Ahmedabad for few days. Now he is living with Ashok in Delhi. Ashok and Vandita were also there.

She wanted to meet them and also told about Akansha and Veer. She knows how her family and most importantly her father will react to this, but she is prepared. She is determined not to give up.

“Pranam Papa, How are you? How is your health now?” Veena touched Shashikant’s feet. He was sitting in a rocking chair and watching TV. He has become very weak. His old age is clearly visible on his face.

“Are Veena… Bless you. When did you come? How are you? How are Rakesh and kids.” He looked at Veena adjusting his spectacles.

“Everybody is doing good.” She put her bag on the table and sat on a chair nearby.

“Hi, Veena… When did you come?” Vandita came out of the kitchen.

“Pranam didi, I came just now. How are you?” They hugged each other.

“I am good. How are you and everyone at home?” Veena asked her. They both sat on the chairs.

“Everyone is good. You should come to Jaipur. It’s been quite a long time. Last time you came to my son’s wedding and now I have become a grandmother. You should come to meet our little granddaughter Diya. Papa is also in Delhi now. You can visit both the places.” Vandita told her.

“I also want to come didi, but you know life is so busy. Home, shop, my LIC work, all these things are keeping me so busy. That’s why when I got to know you all are here, I came to meet you all. Where is Ashok Bhaiya?” Veena looked around the house.

“Ashok went to buy some stuff. He should be about to come.” Shashikant told Veena.

“You sit with Papa, I will make tea for everyone. By the time bhaiya will also be back.” Vandita stood up and went into the kitchen.

“Veena…” Shashikant wanted to ask something.

“Yes, Papa” Veena looked at him.

“How is everything? I mean all ok? With Rakesh?” He asked hesitatingly.

Veena understood his concern and hold his hand, “Papa, everything is fine. You don’t worry at all. I have learned to handle all this and now I am used to it. I am fine Papa. You don’t take any tension.”

She gave assurance to his father but Shashikant knew life is difficult for her.

Vandita came with tea and snacks. Ashok has also returned from market and they all sat down to have their tea.

Veena thought to bring up marriage topic so she kept her cup on the table and started,

“I want to tell you all something. We are thinking about Akansha’s marriage. She…”

“Oh wow… that’s a great news.” They all said together and Veena couldn’t complete her sentence.

“You will also become mother-in-law soon.” Vandita chuckled.

They all laughed.

“Have you guys met any boys? Actually few relatives asked me also about Akansha but I was not sure whether is she ready or not, so I haven’t replied them anything. But now as you have prepared your mind, we will line up good matches for her. She is intelligent, settled, well behaved, we will get best alliance for her in our community.” Ashok told Veena.

“No Bhaiya… that’s all not needed. I mean she already met someone. They are very good friends from college time and now they are working in the same office. They like each other and want to spend their lives together. His name is Veer Bansal and he…”

“Bansal? You mean different cast?” Ashok interrupted her.

“Yes, but how does that matter? He is gentle, educated, well settled and from a decent family. That’s all that really matters.” Veena argued.

“Yes… that all is very good but we can get better matches in our community as well.” Ashok still keeps his point.

Veena was fed up with community thing. She exploded, “What community community?? Why don’t you all understand it is a marriage, a lifelong commitment. Just for the sake of some so call society norms, why we forget its real meaning. It’s about two people, who can love, respect, understand and support each other in all phases of their life. Then whether it’s in the community or outside of the cast how does it matter? What actually matters, is the happiness of the person. If they are not happy together, how can they keep their surroundings happy? All their life, they will keep adjusting, compromising and blaming each other like I am doing…”

All looked at her in shock. They all know what is she going through in her life, but she never expressed herself in this way before. She looked at them and realized what has just happened.

She maintains her cool and started again, “I know you all not be very comfortable with this idea, but I want you to think once from Akansha’s perspective. She is mature and she knows Veer very well and from a very long time. She has not taken any decision in haste. I am with my daughter and I want her to be happy. For few society people, who says anything about anyone, I cannot ruin her life.”

“I think Veena is right. What matters most is Akansha’s happiness. If she feels Veer is the one, we should support her. He is from a decent family, well settled and most importantly loves and respects Akansha.” It was Shahsiknat’s voice, who was listening all discussion for a long time.

All his children looked at him surprised and Veena was not able to believe her ears.

“But Papa…” Ashok tried to make his point.

“No Ashok. I know getting married in the same cast is important but not at the sake of a person’s happiness. When parents look for a match, they should understand their kids first. How do they feel about marriage, their readiness, their preferences about the life partner? If they have found someone, look for the person’s attributes, attitude towards life and people, not just his/her cast. Akansha has not met Veer one or two months ago and come to us for our permission. She knows him very well. We should keep faith in our children. And still, if we have any doubts about him, we should talk to Akansha and give her chance to clear it.” Shashikant took a deep breath.

Veena’s eyes filled with tears listening to his words. She never expected it. His father’s thinking has changed completely.

Vandita and Ashok have also realized what Shashikant is saying, is true.

Shashikant wiped Veena’s tears and kept his hand on her shoulder, “You are right Veena. Akansha’s happiness is most important.”

Veena felt so relieved. She couldn’t say anything but her eyes thanked him for understanding.

She took leave from everyone and started for her house. She is feeling relaxed and hopeful but still, she was unsure about Rakesh’s decision.

Rakesh was sitting with Akansha in the living room as Veena entered the house. They both looked at her and she was puzzled what Rakesh had decided.

Rakesh stood from his place and came towards Veena, “I am ready to meet Veer and his family.” Veena thought she is in dreams. She is not sure what is she listening is in real?

“Veena, I am talking to you.” Rakesh gave her a little touch.

“Ohh yes… I mean what did you just say? You are what?” Veena questioned him with surprise.

“I know you are surprised but I have talked to Akansha and also I thought about the conversation we had this morning. But I am not saying yes now. First I will meet the boy and his family and then only give my decision.” Rakesh cleared his throat and told her.

“Yes of course. We will meet them first.” Veena never felt this much happiness in her entire life. She was delighted. She looked at Akansha and tears of joy came to their eyes. They want to hug each other but Rakesh was still standing there. They smiled at each other.

After one week both families met. Rakesh, Veena, Akshay, Vandita, Ashok, and Shashikant all of them talked to Veer and Veer’s family spent time with Akansha. Both families talk to each other. Veer and Akansha’s love win their hearts too. Everyone was happy and satisfied. They decided the engagement date and started preparations. Amidst all this Veena took her phone and dialed Sahil’s number.

“Hi, Sahil… How are you? I want to share a good news with you.” Veena’s happiness is reflecting in her voice.

“Hi, Veena… I am good. You seem really excited. I guess it is some big news. I can sense it from your voice. Tell me what is it?” Sahil heard this happiness in Veena’s voice for the first time in so many days.

“Akansha and Veer’s marriage is fixed. And most importantly with everyone’s blessings. I am so happy that everyone agreed. I want to share it with my only friend so I called you.” Veena said with excitement. She told him everything what her father said and how Rakesh also understood and they all convinced.

“Wow Veena… That’s an awesome news. Congratulations… I can’t tell you how happy I am listening to this. I know this means a lot to you. I knew you would make it happen. This is a great news indeed. I wish Akansha and Veer’s life filled with all the happiness and God shower his blessings on them always.”

“Thank you so much, Sahil. Yes, it meant a lot to me. I want my kids to be always happy and I will do whatever I can for them. Thanks for your blessings. But you have to come to wedding personally and give your blessings to Akansha and Veer.” Veena replied.

Sahil didn’t say anything.

“What happened Sahil? Why are you silent? I said you have to come to the wedding. Are you there? Hello…” Veena repeated herself.

“Yes, Veena… I am listening.” Sahil answered.

“Then why aren’t you saying anything?” Veena asked.

“Veena, I will not come to the wedding. I really want to come but I can’t. My presence will be really awkward. I don’t want you to be in a strange situation because of me. It would be a really special day for you and your family. I don’t want people to talk about anything and ruin your happiness. Our friendship is really valuable and I want to treasure it. It would be best for everyone if I would not come there. I hope you understand my point.” Sahil explained her very patiently.

Veena thought about what Sahil said and understood his point.

“Hmm… I get it what you are saying but still, I wish you would be here.” She said with disappointment.

“Hey don’t feel bad about it. My blessings and good wishes will always be with Akansha and Veer. And you know what I have decided the gift for them as well.” Sahil cheered her.

“Really and what is it?” Veena asked.

“Their wedding card. I will get it printed in my press and each word of it will reflect my best wishes for the new beginning and bright future of Akansha and Veer’s life.” Sahil smiled.

“That would be really precious.” Veena’s eyes filled with tears of joy.

After few days a box is delivered to Veena’s house. She opened the bundle and take one card out. It was a beautiful and elegant sky blue colored card and with a silver ink, this is what written on it-

“AKANSHA weds VEER”

She held the card in her hands tightly and felt delighted. She looked up and thanked God.

Vandhuamma, ratan, Arunarc and 2 others like this.