1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Milk Allergies Later In Life (or Maybe It Was Unknown Whole Life)

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by ChennaiExpress, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Ladies (and gents), I am trying to help my Dad (70-something young man) with his health.

He has chronic constipation no matter what he does (long story).

Plus, he gained 10 lbs in past few weeks without any changes to diet/exercise.

Only he stopped taking Linzess medication because
    (1) he was misdiagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (i.e. this is not his medical issues) (2) it was causing diarrhea one moment, constipation the next
    (3) wasn't making his health better
    (4) it's $10 per pill
    (5) it's so dangerous one cannot flush unused tablets in toilet, must be returned to pharmacist

I notice that in middle of day he drinks 20oz boiled milk all at once. Yesterday I asked him to split when he drinks milk, and he asks when (his schedule is different from ours)

Then he said something interesting. He said he "hates" milk, but drinks it because of calcium.

Then he said his late elder brother "hated" milk so much that if someone offered him $1000 (in US dollars, not rupees) to drink milk, he would not drink milk.

Hate is a strong word ..... especially for food.

I am wondering if my Dad's body is trying to tell him something, i.e that milk is not good for him and causing bad health.

Maybe it's genetic because his brother thought the same way.

[I myself love milk, but that can be from my Mom's side of the family.]

I tried searching Internet for this, unable to turn up anything so far other than an article on Milk Protein Intolerance, which causes Constipation, whereas Lactose Intolerance causes Diarrhea.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I have brief episodes of lactose intolerance and have used lactaid pills that have helped. You can also try lactose free milk .

Archanaanchan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

CE,
    If your father doesn't like milk why is he forcing himself? Through many other veg and non veg sources calcium can be introduced into the body. In fact, veg food like spinach, Rajma, Chana (kabooli, kaala or any variety) etc are all good sources of calcium+fibre that will reduce constipation. Sone pe suhaga!

Archanaanchan and Sunburst like this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

This is something I'll research. He does need his calcium (especially at his age)

5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Instead of speculating what is causing all this issues, whether its milk, lactose or what not, just get him tested for lactose intolerance.For a man of his age, you need real tests and results not speculations.

Also, there are plenty of sources for calcium including green leafy vegetables, orange juice , broccoli though you need to be careful with oxalates .

6. ChennaiExpress

That's what I want to ask him.

He forces himself to do lot of things in the name of good health, but this may be causing harm.

If I can get him to replace that extra milk with veg food, that would be awesome.

7. ChennaiExpress

I spoke with my Dad and he also ruled out any milk allergies. Since he came to USA (almost 50 years ago) he drank milk because it has calcium and protein (other than that, it's plain like water to him). As a matter of fact, Dad said that milk causes easy bowel movements.

Of course in general tests are most helpful.

Sometimes the solution might be staring us in the face and we are unable to see

Other times we are unable to determine the right questions/approach for getting medical help.

Doctors here try their best to help patients. Alas, they only have 15 minutes, for huge caseload.

For next visit, we can mention the problems he has, what we are trying to do, and ask if there are any tests to find underlying causes.

8. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Adding to this, seasame seeds chewed early in the morning is a great source of calcium too.

ChennaiExpress and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Archu, is it raw or roasted?

Archanaanchan likes this.
  10. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Raw Geeta. One of my aunt has calcium deficiency. My grand mom asked her chew some raw seasame seeds everyday in the morning. It works wonders. She was completely out of the deficiency after eating the seasame.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    GeetaKashyap likes this.