Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra and @HappyBunny

In Brahma Vidya, special breathing techniques and affirmations are linked to meditation. Breathing techniques help to improve bodily conditions and special affirmations strengthen and build a good belief system. This is especially good for those with inferiority complexes and prejudices. Further, they teach visualization technique (as an extension of meditation) emphasizing the belief, 'Mind over matter' i.e., we are what we believe or perceive. Perhaps this is what @HappyBunny is practising. Brahma Vidya even encourages one to visualise and seek manifestation of material, relationship or health benefits.

MonikaSG, Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs. Geeta (@GeetaKashyap)

Thank you for sharing your great insight here. I really enjoy visualization techniques and regularly use it in real life. In a fast paced life, it is important we inhale and exhale for a longer duration to absorb all oxygen into our blood stream for distribution to the organs and exhale CO2. The gap between inhalation and exhalation is also significant. Many even meditate on SoHam ("So" inhalation and "Hum" exhalation) so that no particular thought is dominant in the mind except observation of the mind.

Yad Bhavam Tad Bhavati is the saying as we become what we believe. I assume eventually, one needs to distance everything to achieve Brahma Vidya (Ultimate Truth) become a total observer of everything.

Viswa

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    GeetaKashyap and Gauri03 like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The pace of the discussion is simultaneously exciting and frightening! :sweatsmile: Lots of wonderful information and perspectives. I'm struggling to keep up. I realize I said a lot about mindfulness without providing relevant information for folks looking to dive into it. I'm working on an introduction of sorts and a list of resources.

SunPa, GeetaKashyap and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HappyBunny, welcome to IL. Thoughtful, relate-able posts from you.

"a spacious and specific interview." Nice.

HappyBunny likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Indeed, lots of wonderful perspectives. I've been reading the posts, and fascinating to see the many takes and experiences.

I was looking or thinking about 'why meditation.' Do people go to it when life gets tough and then go back now and then... Or is it a way of life for some, no matter what.

Thread is already many pages long, and am feeling too sanguine'y to look for exact post where it was mentioned... but want to credit it. There was a mention of being in the now. Like when washing the dishes, focus on the task, the soap, the predictable and comforting routine of the process. That made me introspect that I often hurry Thing1 who is getting quite good at kitchen tasks, but takes her time. Chopping, stirring, loading & emptying dishwasher, each thing takes a tiny bit more time. I harangued her with a 'why make it a project...' and more. Darn. The remorse is making itself felt. So since reading this thread, I texted her and said how she is good at being in the now, while also being able to do things faster when needed. Spoilt it all by also telling better-half that she is naturally better than him at multi-tasking. : ) He won't switch on the stove till all ingredients are fully washed, chopped and ready.

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

My two cents to help. :relaxed:

(Annnd Here is something to watch if you would enjoy some humour, purely just for gags!) :wink1:

Srama and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Here is another to add to the wonderful video @kaniths added to this thread.

Viswa

Indhradhanu, Srama and kaniths like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Here is another thread that I wrote a few months back about the mind.

Preparation

Viswa

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Maybe you can index all your mind related snippets together for quick reference and easy access anytime. Burried deep in snippets and here in this thread too gets lost between posts and responses, As Rihana pointed out, hard to locate the pages if we want to go back and read. You can also update the links for your future posts whenever, Like G 's puzzle or Kkrish's space series index threads. More helpful. Also if you shared a link from the index, anyone interested can have a look at other relevant post links and go from there. :cool:

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

@kaniths

Point noted. After discussion with @Gauri03, I will do all the links in one place.

Viswa