1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Tribute To A Legend Of Il

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 13, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I received a friend request on IL - my very first one. I looked at the name. It was a male. I had just replied in light vein to one of his snippets. His name was Kamalji. Should I accept the request or should I not? Well, let me see. Based on the exchanges on the thread, he seemed to be a decent sort. If he turned out otherwise, I would block him. So I went on to accept the request and that was the beginning of what turned out to be 6 years of one of the best friendships of my life.

"What say? Haha". This makes me smile as I think of this person who regaled us with his earthy humour and simple snippets based on down to earth practical experience. We all had our agreements and disagreements with him, but he was clear about his point of view. The "Sindhi businessman" to put it in his own words always had the most practical advice to give.

We used to play Scrabble. I taught him the game and after that, he always gave me a sound thrashing whenever we played. Rare were the occasions when he let me win.

The year was 2012. Those days there was no Whatsapp. So we used to chat on Facebook. He told me that he was going to be operated for bladder cancer. He sailed through the treatment, was cleared and went back to leading his life as before - doing whatever he could to help people in whatever way he could and making everyone smile.

October 2015 was the first time I met Kamalji and his family in Jaipur. Cheeniya sir with his wife, OJ-da with his wife, Arunarc, Mindian, Kelly and I had all been for his daughter's wedding. What a time we had! Such a memorable visit.

March 2017 the illness relapsed. He came to Mumbai where he and his wife were with his mother (an octogenarian), his brother, sil and nephew. He underwent chemotherapy and immunotherapy and put up a gallant fight. Unfortunately it did not work. Those whom the Gods love die young. God does not like to share them with us for too long. Kamalji was in his early 60s. Still too early to go. He had plenty to give the world and he had thousands of friends who all loved him dearly.

I met him in Mumbai on the 5th of January 2018 as soon as I heard that he was not doing well. Thank God I had the opportunity. "Satchi, the doctors have given me only a few months to live. This is the last time you are seeing me" he told me in the most matter of fact tone. Till just 10 days ago, he'd send us lots of jokes, songs and forwards on whatsapp. Not once did he complain about his pain. Even 10 days ago, when he was still in a position to talk, he gave me some really sound financial advice on phone. Need I say more?

He was blessed to have his entire family around him and they kept him cheerful with games, parties etc. In that he was blessed.

May his soul rest in peace. God give strength to his family in this time of grief. So many of his blogger friends have been bereaved. We have lost a very good friend, the likes of whom are not easy to find.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ooviya, vjbunny, dc24 and 35 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Very sorry to know Satchi. May his soul rest in peace. He had made all of us laugh with his posts when he was there. Now also can't believe he us no more. Now he has made us cry . But he won't like us to cry but to wish him good. May his soul rest in peace and God give his family strength to face the situation.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    No words..
    Prayers for the departed noble soul...
    Prayers for the bereaved family and friends.
    I am always awestruck at his attitude...taking everything easy with a smile ...even battling the most painful ailment.
    His take it easy attitude has penetrated into so many hearts...bringing relaxation and smiles through his writing..
    Your Jaipur wedding gala is a beautiful , grandeour to cherish...
    Take care.
    Hari Om.

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

A nice tribute Satchi. This is so unbelievable. May his soul RIP. His posts were always filled with humor and fun. May his near and dear find the strength to overcome the loss. May he be remembered with his smile and laughter always

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

May his soul rest in peace.

For over a year I have interacted with him; sometime cracking up on his jokes and sometimes getting into serious discussion not seeing eye to eye. He always appreciated my art with absolute simplicity. Will miss him for sure.

kaniths and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. satchitananda

True Geeta. We did have our differences of opinion, but we just agreed to disagree.

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchidananda,
    Very sad to hear the news.
    We became friends a few months back. Talked a few times on phone with him Harshaji . Knew about his treatment, immunotherapy. Though I never met him ......his daily quota of jokes, old Hindi songs I used to get from him.
    Last week when I called his brother talked....said he is resting and convey to him that I called.

A great brave and courageous person. He was so happy when he visited Jaipur last August. He titled it King's welcome.
    May God give courage to Harshaji and daughters and other members of his family to cope up either the calamity. His mother of 90 years old is still there.
    Syamala

VaniVyas and satchitananda like this.
  8. satchitananda

He was really missing Jaipur and was looking forward to the end of his treatment in March. He was waiting to return to Jaipur.

9. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very saddened to hear the news. He has such an amazing sense of humor. It takes a few seconds to get it, but once we get it, we rolled on the floor laughing. He had very unique points of view on everyday happenings and that made all of us reflect on what we believed. He will be missed. May his soul rest in peace.

Btw, excellent tribute @satchitananda. Didn't know so much friendship has blossomed.

Kamla, kaniths and satchitananda like this.
  10. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

This is so sad . With all that pain he was going through , he continued to regale us with his humor . May he Rest In Peace .