1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guilt To Initiate Divorce

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by BhumiBabe, Oct 9, 2017.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

OP, I got divorced last year. There was a feeling of guilt of having initiated the process too late, that's it. If you still have a guilt of initiating divorce and guilt of not supporting your husband, you still have some strong strings attached.

Sandycandy likes this.
  2. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Stay strong lady... Lots of strength to you. Please don’t fall under the trap of picture perfect life. Not many gets it and still seems to hold it for the society. This is of no good for either spouse or kids rather than getting likes in virtual world.

GeetaKashyap, kalpas and Sandycandy like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @ChennaiExpress and @MalStrom

@Sandycandy - It's really tough, especially since it feels to unnatural to want something more than the typical material conveniences of marriage. It's hard to put it into words without hurting people's feelings. Thank you for your kind words.

Sandycandy and Archanaanchan like this.
  4. BhumiBabe

I don't feel guilt for initiating or even not supporting my husband, I think it's the right choice. I've realized that I've already checked out, and just going through the motions. Its just that I easily forget or forgive people, especially when they seem so earnest about changing (crying and making the effort to do the right things). But how many times do I need to be burned before I leave? It's embarrassing how many times.

@Vandhuamma - You are so right about the trap. It's so comfortable and safe, that you can even delude yourself that you would be happy there, even without the crucial emotional connections in marriage. I'm glad I have accepted that I don't need that type of stability, because it was really the only reason I stayed this long.

I have avoided talking to my in-laws about this (or much else) though. I simply don't think I can make them understand.

5. kalpas

kalpas Bronze IL'ite

very true. Only very few get the so called "picture perfect life". - costly vacation, visiting 5 star hotels, outing etc etc. But everything has a timespan. Also, people who get the so called "picture perfect life" mostly live with insecurity, fear of losing the so called "picture perfect life" . So it is better we learn to live life in a normal and peaceful way.

So be happy that you have taken a bold decision.

Enjoy your life from now. Definitely one can be single and be happy !

Good luck

shama146 and Vandhuamma like this.
  6. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

Says who? Just not with your current husband, but I suppose that is a good thing. You are very brave, wish you good luck!

7. Rosegarden

Rosegarden Bronze IL'ite

You are brave and have parents support. Good luck

8. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

What's the status update now @BhumiBabe ? Are the reconciliation efforts useful ? Any scope for saving the marriage ?

9. BhumiBabe

Hi @silentlistener. Interestingly, once I became serious about leaving and said so to my husband (I had a bag packed and even started the legal stuff), he has completely flipped around - trying to be the person that I had always wanted/needed him to be. It's a bit jarring, and I was very uncomfortable with the change, the first 2 weeks. I still don't "love" my husband, but now that the home is more pleasant to live in, and the husband is trying to right all the wrongs of 3 years - i am willing to give him a chance. We are in the process of moving to a different city, so maybe the change of place will help that stick - if not, I am in a better place than I was 3 years ago (or even 3 months ago), I can always get my current job back (I have a good relationship with them), and live a perfectly moderate life if I wanted to. Had I not seen the potential for change (started treating my friends with respect, doesn't expect all my attention during my family events, doesn't demand that I do something - instead also does his share, controls anger and harsh words), I would be out of here. We'll see how things go. I'm going to be optimistic about it.

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Great news ! Maybe that is the wake up call your husband needed !! Good luck with the move and hope things get better and better from here on !

BhumiBabe and GeetaKashyap like this.