1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Career Switch From Developer To Business Analyst

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by HoneyChinni, Feb 6, 2018.

1. HoneyChinni

HoneyChinni New IL'ite

hi ladies ,

Has anyone switched their career path from a developer to business analyst ? If so please let me know the pros n cons ?

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

The job role of BA has changed in few roles. If you are looking for jobs in Data Science field BA is a good option. What is the reason behind switch ? There is no good or bad role .It depends on individual on how they take it forward. Find your strengths and what you enjoy then easier to choose

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. HoneyChinni

HoneyChinni New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Mangaii..
    i have 4 years gap in career and during this time there are lot of upgrades to the technology which i was working. Having an infant at home I feel its little tough to upgrade my skills or take any training so thought of switching career and my husband suggested Business analyst . Before deciding on switching I would like to know what and all I have to have knowledge to become BA and what certifications should I do to pursue career as BA.

If you have any idea about the certifications or things I should know please share with me. It would be a great help .

Thank You

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I'm not from BA background. Call around job opportunities in your area. Since you have been developer have you thought about going in QA. I also think it is better to talk to some recruiting agencies. I know people from all kinds of background getting into BA. Hope someone from that specific background helps you.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  5. Dolu

Dolu New IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm the one who opted for that role. I was a developer, but same after coming to USA, having kid. It was hard to get into industry. So when I got the opportunity, I grabbed it. In USA doesn't matter what you are doing. Masters is you are earning. I would say go for it. Later if you have energy you can switch roles. My plan is also same. All the best.

6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

If you want a role of BA, you need to very strong in a domain.For ex: If Retail banking is your chosen domain you should know in and out of it, so that you can talk to client get the requirements and provide solution to their problems. Most of the companies look out for domain knowledge as a criteria while recruiting plus you should have good communication skills.
    There are BA certifications in the market where CBAP from IIBA is generally considered as gold standard. There is also a entry level certification called ECBA for fresh BA's.