1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Peechu Mithai And Maths Textbook

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by teenulahari, Jan 20, 2018.

1. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Pushing his cart through the dusty streets of our town used to come Saleem bhai with his delicious sweets neatly arranged in a clean array of glass jars every evening. Among all the sweets the rosy, fluffy Peechu mithai always attracted my attention. My mother never bought it for me saying that it’s unhealthy. She used to fool me saying that it’s made from Saleem bhai’s white beard and so it looks hairy:confused: (I never believed her). I desperately wanted to taste it anyway.

I told my best friend Reehana about my wish of eating Peechu mithai. She told me that Saleem bhai also gives Peechu Mithai in exchange of old books, papers etc. So, I decided to sell my Math text book in exchange of Peechu Mithai:banana:. “The exams are next month and most of the syllabus is covered. What is the use of having a math text book or not when someone is destined to fail in Mathematics” I thought:D. I stood at the end of the street (without any of my family members noticing). When the cart reached the end of the street I ran to Saleem Bhai, gave my math textbook and got two packets of Peechu Mithai in return. I felt really proud holding those two packets of Peechu Mithai in both hands and walking in the street when all my friends were watching me with awe:rolleyes::number_one:.

The Next day In School:

When I was still lost in the taste of Peechu Mithai and was planning to sell my Socia textbook entered my Maths teacher into the class:D. We all got up wished him. He asked everyone to sit except me.

The conversation:

Teacher: Lahari! Come and stand beside me. Everyone please clap for Lahari, the genius.

I was surprised and started blushing when I heard the word genius from his mouth:flushed:. It seems all my classmates (especially Supriya the topper in mathematics) were also surprised like me and were eager to know the reason. There was a pindrop silence in the class room and everyone were starring at me. I went and stood near the board.

“ What…me genius. Has he gone mad or did I get passed this time or he teasing me, let’s seeo_O” I thought to myself standing there.

Teacher: Come close to me Lahari. What class I thought you yesterday?

Me: Geometry..Triangle something I think, I don’t remember

Teacher: Don’t worry, I shall make you remember. Bring me your Maths Textbook

A:eek: chill went down my spine when I heard the word “Maths Textbok:yikes:, I understood that this teacher guy knew something about yesterday’s incident.

Me: Sir, I lost it somewhere..

Teacher: No..No..you did not loose it, you sold it to Saleem Bhai for Peechu Mithai, I think you forgot about it.

Children! meet our new Einstein Lahari who covered all her math syllabus and can answer any question in Maths and so sold her useless Maths text book for a dirty street snack (he said in a sarcastic tone).

My mouth went dry and tears started rolling down my cheeks:crybaby2:. I felt ashamed:facepalm:. All my friends were starring at me with mouths open:fearful:.

Teacher: Take it! I think in your excitement in buying Peechu Mithai, you forget to notice that you were standing before my house. After you left, I gave some money to Saleem Bhai and got your textbook back. Study well. This time I am not gonna send you to the next class unless you get 50 percent above marks in Maths exam:smash2:. Ok!

Me: Yes sir! ( In a trembling voice without looking at him)

Teacher: And also Lahari! this is the last warning. Don’t repeat this or else I will write a letter to your grand father:icon_writing:.

Just then our P.T. Teacher came and asked everyone to go to play ground. I wiped my tears and went to ground to play.

How is it?

Love
    Teenu;)

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@teenulahari

One of the misadventures of the school days, eh? Good one!

teenulahari likes this.
  3. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha good one! We all have one such incident where we get caught red handed and how we pray our parents should not know about it .... enjoyed reading and this brought wonderful memories back.

teenulahari likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are you sure your Maths teacher got back the textbook? I found a picture of page 20 of that book wrapped around some peechu mithai. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8lwLZdKfmPk/S0YSicvUfZI/AAAAAAAAKfg/vvuKTyVNLrw/s320/DSC02973.JPG
    :blush:

Lovely snippet. At the same time, I remembered the peechu mithai guy coming down our street, ringing the bicycle or bandi (hand pushed cart) bell. And teachers like your Maths teacher and their scoldings that we remember years later too.

Sometimes, a few moms got together and had him make peechu mithai in bulk using our ingredients.

5. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Teenu, your sense of humour is awesome! Is this real?

teenulahari likes this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Lahari,
    What an idea ! but you could have checked your surroundings. :tongueout:
    While reading story I went back through my childhood days.
    We had loved to eaten peechu mitai . My mom used to buy bulky from cotton candy vendor but we had finished it within couple of days..Such a sweet memories:)

teenulahari and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Superb post... Had a good laugh...

Did it happen in real?? B/W u intended to sell your social studies book too.....:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

teenulahari likes this.
  8. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Thank u @GeetaKashyap

Thank u @HazelPup for your fb. Happy to hear that the post brought your memories back. Why don't you share a few misadventures of your childhood with us, it would be fun;)

Really happy to see a fb from you @Rihana Thank u:)

Rihana likes this.
  9. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Yes, Yes, Yes @Tamrakshar it is real

Yes, @Mistt I should've been careful. This time I will be careful not to stand before my Law professors building:thumbup: bcoz she too lives at the end of our street.

Yes @VaniVyas , This happened in real. Yes I intended to sell my social text book but my mom found out about my idea and gave me nice scoldings:weary::shakehead:

VaniVyas and Mistt like this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha! Good luck:thumbsup:
    Lahari, please send some of peechu mitai for me too. I ate that long long ago.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    teenulahari likes this.