1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Life Journey With My Special Kid!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Swethasri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Mathima
    patience and loads of patience and being aware is what you need. everything will fall into place. loads of prayers for you and your kids. eat healthy and think positive.

and regarding your elder you need to go for evaluation and look for therapy if needed.

Swethasri and Mehana like this.
  2. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

I'm giving speech as well as occupation therapy for him.. His academics (writing n card identification) is OK.. Not an issue of concern, but conversation is d problem.. I'm following d speech therapist's advice.. But a piece of advice from u people will be encouraging for me.. So if u guys following any new ideas to engage kid to talk please tell me.. He is not at all showing good interest in stories n action rhymes.. But listening just like that.. Nothing interests him more than self playing.. Please guide me..

3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Does he like playing with a ball? try to engage him in games where he has to interact with someone else. Take him to the park where there are lot of kids and slowly try to facilitate interactions . One on one play dates with another kid at home might be a good idea. Kids with ASD can be very visual , so plain story telling might not capture their attention. Find visually interesting books, use puppets etc to capture his attention.
    Also slowly try to encourage him to maintain eye contact. If he asks for something give it only if he looks into the eye. Positive reinforcement is the key, so appreciate him / reward him when he does something that he is asked to.
    Speech therapy has worked wonders for kids with HFA that I know. Social skills can be a bit of a challenge sometimes but play dates etc should help with that.

@Swethasri sorry to barge in into your thread ! Kudos to you and the other moms here !

Swethasri and nandinimithun like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mathima - I think he needs intensive one on one behavior therapy - combination of ABA and floortime or RDI to help with all of the things you have mentioned. The sooner you start it, the better it will be. I don’t think Speech by itself is enough.
    Does he have all his sounds. How far behind is he verbally? If he has language but isn’t able to use it behavioral therapy helps a lot more than traditional speech therapy.
    A good behavioral therapist will be able to train you to work with him. It’s very slow and it takes a lot of therapy and patience but he will slowly gain some functional language.
    At his age, I wouldn’t worry about academics. Most kids on the spectrum that I know including mine self taught themselves to read and count etc. Reading and not comprehending what that read is what they all have issues with. To help with that in the future, behavioral therapy is the best.

Swethasri, Mehana and Shanvy like this.
  5. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Please go ahead for evaluation as soon as possible. How about his attention, understanding conversation or if you ask something did he bring to you or as you any questions, any behavioral issue?

Swethasri likes this.
  6. Mathima

Mathima Bronze IL'ite

Behavorial issue ,, he not mingling with kids enough.. All evaluation has been done n then only v started special schooling..
    Ya.. He will do if he knows d object.. And at that time if his attention is with me..
    His speech level is of 18 months n he is going to be 7 by may..
    Ya.. He has all sounds. Here in school they told he doesn't need behaviour therapy.
    But let me check with any other therapist and see.. Thanks for ur advice..

7. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

May God give all the members with gifted children, inner strength to carry on.
    All are Gods children.

Swethasri likes this.
  8. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

At home do you give any additional therapies? ABA helps for attention, self help skills(is he 7 years old??), social skills, turn taking. I think right time to get ABA therapy for your soon, earlier is better.

Swethasri likes this.
  9. whynotme

whynotme Bronze IL'ite

You are an awesome
    Mom. Your son is very lucky to have u as his mom & ur so lucky to have him as ur son. God bless ur family.

Swethasri likes this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Hi meghna.. Thanks for ur thoughts..
    Wt does HF means,, in wt other ways I can confirm he has HF autism, apart from writing[/QUOTE]
    Start ABA soon. It helps in overall development of kid. It's not just behavior control. High functioning,low functioning is not a medical term. Don't bother about it

Swethasri likes this.