1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons In The Classroom Of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 20, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

It's amazing what topic or question sets off what train of thoughts. So I was in the middle of French class today and the topic was 'Taking time out for oneself'. The question was 'when do you feel time stretches too long and when do you find it flies?'

It is not seldom that I find myself talking these days about how 24 hours are not sufficient and then wonder what it is I do. It is ironical when I think of how bored I used to be as a young person constantly whining to mum about how boring life was.

The question forced me to think. Just what was it then as opposed to now? I had my family around me, my nephew, my niece, my college, then work ..... Come to think of it, I spend most of my time alone these days, except for the hours when I am working. Yes, the domestic helpers come and go. BH is there in the house but he is on his own trip.

And then light dawned. Earlier, I was studying. I hated exams. They stressed me out no end. I hated having to compete and constantly prove myself. I hated work. The boss was a bully. Everyday was like walking over burning coal.

Eventually I decided I was not happy doing what I was. Once I got back to doing what I loved - languages - and discovered a passion for teaching, once I was able to work according to my personal schedule - deciding when I wanted to work and when I wanted to take a break - all fell into place.

The forced grounding life imposed on me after my surgery and during the phase when mom was ill pushed me to find more new interests like photography, writing, reading, watching documentaries on various subjects .....

Not to mention such a vast range of possibilities opening up to everyone down the years. We did not have half of them during my time as a student. Today I am learning. I don't give a hoot whether I give any exams or not. The only purpose of appearing for exams is to be allowed to continue to the next level. So how many marks I get matters little. That is in itself so liberating! Also the way things are taught now are so different and involve so much of one's own efforts!

"What's the purpose of living?" I'd often ask. "Find a purpose" sis would tell me.

What is the use of living if one has to find a purpose to justify it? Living for a purpose and not finding a purpose to live for should be how it is, I think. Suddenly it dawned - that time is here. I hung on there and now I am living for some purpose. What a blessing to be at that stage of life where there is so much to be involved in!

I don't know how much of French I learned today, but I certainly gained some enlightenment of another kind - the practical one.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Is it a surprise that we learn most when we are teaching? I don't know about you, I for one growing up never worried about exams and that used to frustrate not only parents but my friends even. Oh I can recall so many instances - a cousin calls to wish me the best for my II PU exams and was appalled that I was fast asleep instead of studying. The diligent one that I was, I always used to walk out of exam halls after sitting in and doing my best for the mandated half hour. On the other hand I sat through every lab I ever took and it was never for marks. I loved the dissections and the experiments. On the rare occasion I have studied, I have walked into the exam hall to find out that I had studied the wrong paper. I had given up on exams even before I started! and my exam taking was exactly this.....

While I used be shocked when my son as a toddler would say "Why should my teachers know that I know something!" at a deeper level, I understood it too and I am grateful for the genes he has inherited from his dad's side. My DD, we are still working on that side of the gene to show itself! As a teacher, I still struggle to teach the same to my students - to learn for the love of learning but to do well in exams as well!

This my friend is the power of now!! You are more fortunate than me us to have understood it well.
    Contemplative Satchi? Well, we get snippets out of you! Enjoyed it.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,

I enjoyed reading your introspective snippet about the Classroom of life.
    It just does not click to many to do what they really want to do.They are pushed to the level of liking what they are ordained to do.Reading for knowledge sake or for the mere joy of it is what we want.
    We may not write exam;we may not be awarded marks.

But can we avoid the exams totally?
    Every human being, without his/her knowledge undertakes exams and becomes a participant of a 'quiz' programme conducted by Destiny or God day in and day out.
    Entrance to the'quiz' is mandatory.His scores are not revealed.He does not know whether he wins or loses.Automatically he is taken to the next level. He is never dismissed from the Quiz.
    There are different levels-the innocent childhood when we cry denote our wants;the boyhood when we convey by talks;our wants are sometimes fulfilled and not fulfilled on other occasions;There are breezy happy sessions as well as stormy and tornado sessions--the happy love making period, the confusions relating to choosing a course of study, job or life partner;begetting kids and enjoying innocent smiles; struggle in dealing with teen age children;building a happy home,have handsome investments,have minor and major ailments;incurring heavy expenditure for treatment, parting with dear and near ones-whether old or young.

We have to get along with this exam of life, the scorer being the Destiny.Once you are born ,you can never escape being examined.Only thing-there is no success or failure.We are never considered disqualified.Our scores in the form of papas and punyas are directly taken into account during our next birth( if one believes in reincarnations)and the quiz continues in the next birth also.

What I am arriving to say is you may avoid going to exam hall, avoid writing an answer paper and avoid being assessed or ranked.But can you avoid being examined by Destiny
    and avoid undergoing all anxieties and agonies, trials and tribulations which are nothing but the scores of the real tests?
    Life is an exam without question paper, answer paper, pen and ink and unrevealed marks.

Jayasala42

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lovely snippet Satchi. It has taken years of mindfulness meditation for me to find the perspective you found in the middle of French class. : )

I believe we are programmed to seek a purpose for living because as a society we have a skewed definition of what constitutes 'living'. We are taught that life happens in some indeterminate future, and that our purpose as humans is to strive towards that future, usually meaning socially approved personal and career accomplishments. When you think of life as a path culminating in your ultimate purpose, you spend every minute striving joylessly towards that goal. Every decade they move the goalposts, so you are just within reach of that future, yet not quite. We move from school, to college, job, then acquisition of material possessions, marriage, offspring, and before you realize it time has run out. You are left wondering when the future became the past, and how you missed an entire lifetime.

Instead of thinking of life as a path, what if we break it down into discrete moments -- a series of nows. Our purpose then, is to be fully present in this moment, to experience and live it to the best of our potential. There is no room for past regrets or future anxiety because now is all there is. I've found that when I practice living mindfully, I naturally live purposefully. I am less inclined to fritter away time because I am cognizant of the value of each individual moment. The wonderful consequence of mindful living is that without conscious design a series of purposeful moments can add up to a purposeful life.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

As I read the snippet, my mind kept jumping up to say, that's pricisely what I think and feel :) You know, a year ago I read a book 'I am another you' by Priya Kumar. The philosophy of universal oneness she talks about is amazing. As I read @Srama, I almost screamed, that's me! I guess, irrespective of the path and the journeys we take, most of us arrive at the same universal feelings and understandings some day.(Let us not include those born geniuses who knew their purpose in life the moment they slid out of their mother's womb.)

As I read @Gauri03, I said, here again, the sameness! My poetry The Slippery Present expressed the same thoughts!

I loved the following lines, "What is the use of living if one has to find a purpose to justify it? Living for a purpose and not finding a purpose to live for should be how it is, I think. Suddenly it dawned - that time is here. I hung on there and now I am living for some purpose. What a blessing to be at that stage of life where there is so much to be involved in!" What a nice article by you, Satchi, that reaffirms we are all one: I AM ANOTHER YOU! It is so reassuring.:beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

In my view, there is only one major purpose. Understanding that I am not here by accident and I am here for a reason. Many learned people say "You are born to learn not to be born again". Setting aside highly complex theories, I have to realize I have come here to fulfill some unfulfilled thoughts, enjoy the fruits of good actions and suffer the consequences of bad actions. While pursuing the unfulfilled desire, we also need to make an effort to study how to eliminate our desires in the process of purifying ourselves. Living in the present moment accepting things as it happens is one of the right living techniques.

Developing good character, purifying our soul from the encryption, developing a mind that would receive pleasure and pain the same way, detachment to the world, hold all possession in trust, see all that manifests in front of our eyes as one and the same, express gratitude for the opportunity to refine and transform ourselves and eliminate all our bad qualities are some of the purposes. We have come here to gain ultimate knowledge that would remove all our sufferings once and for all. The urge to be one with the Lord never diminishes until it happens.

If I had to say one word as purpose, I would say "Cleansing".

Viswa

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

Hey Sabitha,

So delighted to see your early bird reply. :)

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  8. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

9. satchitananda

Hey Gauri,

Such a beautiful response.

10. satchitananda

Dear Geeta,

Really interesting, your take on 'we all are one'. We hear this all the time and this is what we are told in our texts. This is the next thing that I am trying to 'realize'. I try sometimes to look at people around me and try to see the 'oneness'. Occasionally (however fleetingly) a thought when watching another individual suddenly makes me wonder if that is the feeling of 'oneness'. E.g. looking at someone walking down the street the other day, I suddenly the feeling I was looking at myself from behind. I looked at her gait and it struck me that here was a person who was walking through life with her own bundle of challenges. I wondered what was going on in her head. That was it. It was just a momentary feeling and I wondered if this is the feeling of being 'one and the same' as others around me.

Maybe the day will come, when I suddenly see the light on this one. Like Viswa says, isn't this the purpose why we are all here? To learn many lessons?

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.