1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Should We Be Worried About Drinking Milk ?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Archanaanchan, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Growing your own veggies and fruits is a great idea. It reassures that your fruits and veggies are of higher nutrients than the ones that has travelled several thousand miles. This also has less use of pesticides making them healthier. Finding local organic milk in bigger cities is a challenge in itself. I remember seeing a lot of local milk sellers when we were young . But its no more existent now. Because of increasing prices and to earn enough money for survival people are resolving into methods wherein the main focus is money and not really the quality of milk.

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I had severe gastric issues for years . I ignored all advice that said cut out dairy, because I like chai, I like butter, cheese, paneer and most importantly chocolate and ice-cream! but eventually I did try reducing dairy to a bare minimum and my gastric symptoms have really decreased. there is so much information around , its hard to know what to follow. but I have learned to trust my body and I believe that lactose intolerance arises because your body knows milk these days is a slow poison.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

[QUOTE="

Best if you can get your milk from a local , small scale diary . I personally like the milk from whole foods which comes in a glass bottle or my local farmers market .[/QUOTE]

we buy at whole foods the 365 organic brand mostly, is there a difference between the milk in bottles vs the plastic 1 gallon one?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Try drinking milk from carton for a while And then try drinking the one in plastic bottle including the organic ones. The one in plastic gallons tastes horrible. We buy glass bottled ones. It tastes much better. Nutritional aspects have been discussed earlier

5. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

I'm not really a fan of milk/dairy (except for paneer) and neither is my husband, so we only drink it in small amounts. We usually get gently pasteurized milk from an organic shop that has everything under the sun (think a farmer's market but indoors). Last time we went shopping there, I saw a couple of people buy goat's milk and am considering trying that as an alternative.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

we buy at whole foods the 365 organic brand mostly, is there a difference between the milk in bottles vs the plastic 1 gallon one?[/QUOTE]
    I have mostly given up dairy now but back in the day we preferred to get the milk in glass bottles. Our stores sell the milk from Trickling Springs Dairy, which is from grass-fed cows, no antibiotics or hormones and minimally pasteurized. The Whole Foods and Horizon organic milks still come from factory farms.

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

All these information make us very scary. But we have to survive right.
    For a decade we buy only organic milk, mostly from Trader Joe`s.
    Now we are using organic whole milk, after knowing that 1% or 2% are useless. Now we make curd at home. If we buy the yogurt box for urgent use, we didn`t like the texture. Not sure of the reliability also.

8. Archanaanchan

we buy at whole foods the 365 organic brand mostly, is there a difference between the milk in bottles vs the plastic 1 gallon one? [/QUOTE]

I checked on the 365 Milk brand. It has Vitamin D, low fat ... and types of milk right ? Just going with my bare knowledge I suppose when you try to make the normal milk Vitamin D , low fat n all those types definitely the original structure of milk is no more retained correct ? That says its not safe to drink as well ... Whole Milk is the one you ideally should pick.

9. Archanaanchan

Goat Milk is no bad Nylaa... Indeed its a good substitute if you suppose think that the milk that you ve been buying is not really coming from local grass fed farms. Until we hear that people have started attacking the goats its fair enough to substitute with cows milk. But I am still not sure why we dint hear much about goat milk in the past ?

10. Archanaanchan

I have mostly given up dairy now but back in the day we preferred to get the milk in glass bottles. Our stores sell the milk from Trickling Springs Dairy, which is from grass-fed cows, no antibiotics or hormones and minimally pasteurized. The Whole Foods and Horizon organic milks still come from factory farms.[/QUOTE]
    Yes @MalStrom You are right ! They come from factory farms and we still doubt on it. Buying from a local farm where you have checked the cows grazing grass is fairly a good option. When the supply is more demand is more . If demand is more definitely people resolve with shortcuts . So its always better to search for a good local grass fed diary farm.