1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stay Out Of It Or Look More Into It?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rakhii, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Why not trust the judgement of 40 yr old who has experienced an abusive marriage and is also a responsible mother to a special needs child ? Sometimes marriages don’t work out even with all the background checks in place. Unless this friend is a jobless bum and plans to hitch his wagon with your sister for financial reasons I would not say anything. Your support and approval of her decisions would probably mean a lot to her at this point in her life. Even if you plan to ask her questions be very positive about it.
    I would not judge him for wanting to break off his relationship with his family to marry her. I know of really traditional parents that are a major impediment to their son’s progress and happiness .

sindmani, Rakhii, Shreema86 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@chocolate, thanks. I don’t know his full name yet. I am not sure how to ask my sister without sounding weird. I was probably letting everything sink in; I couldn’t sleep at all last night. Lol

@MalStrom, thanks. No, my parents don’t know this yet. I believe my future BIL didn’t want them to know yet before the divorce finalizes. He is worried that they will think that he is behind my sister applying for divorce. Which again seems like a red flag to me. I mean, my parents already are onboard with her decision about her husband as she was living in a very abusive relationship. So, they probably should know whats going on but its my sisters decision and my future BIL’s.

@joylokhi, thanks. I have to somehow get his full name. Trust me when I say this, he is a religious head. He has to leave behind his priesthood to marry my sister. Its freaking me out. I love her to bits and if this person turns out to be a crook like the first one, it would drive my sister and everyone of us bonkers.

@DDream, thanks. Right now sis is so happy. You know where you are so high just by being in love J Its sweet but is this going to stick? I am not sure how to even start looking at it. I suppose I need his full name to begin with. From what my sister tells me, his family is very orthodox.

@ashneys, Thanks. I agree, leaving parents will not make him a bad person. I suppose I am feeling insecure with the fact that if he is willing to severe ties with his family for my sister, will there ever be a compelling reason that will prompt him to leave my sister and nephew? I suppose time only will tell but you can understand the sibling confusion.

And my nephew…he is autistic. He is in early teens but he is like a 6 year old. He needs attention. My sister is hoping to put him in some vocational courses that will help him sustain by himself for “after her”. So we are not looking at a typical relationship where in kids settle down with their lives after a certain time. My nephew will probably live with my sis and BIL for ever. Now, my future BIL never lived in a household where a special needs kid grew up. My nephew is timid and not at all aggressive. He is very shy and extremely sensitive to certain foods. You need to keep an eye on him though you don’t need to physically help him (like bathing etc). let’s say a highly functioning autistic child.

My sister’s dream is that one day he will get a job to bag groceries and will be happy. You see where I am coming from? Our dreams are not big like he will be working in a big firm etc. very simple dreams like bagging groceries.

I don’t mean to sound like a bitch but my future BIL will be coming to live here without knowing what its like to live like this 24/7. So I am having doubts. For all we know he may be golden hearted. But that doesn’t make it less concerning for me right? My sister has 2 properties, full parents support, a good job. As such she is financially secure. Emotionally is another story.

And you know, my sister speaks to his sister itseems. But she never mentioned or offered to introduce me to my future BIL. I don’t know whether he said no or she feels its too early.

I of course support her and told her as much.

@Sandycandy, thanks. I think when we refer to our sisters, the equation changes. We trust them but we worry. Its natural isn’t it?

Sandycandy, SunPa and SGBV like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Just a thought. If he is very religious he may be acting out of what he feels is a duty to save your sister from a bad situation, in addition to romance. And if your sister is financially well off I would make sure that your future BIL is already on an equal monetary footing with her. And make sure she holds on to everything in her name at least in the beginning. Good luck to your sister, I hope she finds happiness this time.

Rakhii likes this.
  4. Rakhii

you mean a pre-nup in terms of security? That actually would be ideal.

he will be leaving everything behind with his family. He will be coming home to my sister with 0 bank balance, if not negative.

maybe psychologically he feels like he is "saving" her. that i wouldnt know.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

In that case I would doubly make sure that her interests and those of your nephew are solidly protected.

Rakhii likes this.
  6. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

For everything that your sister has gone through, and knowing fully her lifetime responsibilities, I don’t feel she would take a wrong decision for herself and her child. Maybe you should trust her on this. As for healing, to each his own, there’s no standard laid down for it.
    But there’s one thing you should ask your sister- has the child met the gentleman? Have they spent time? Was the child comfortable with him and vice versa. Is the gentleman supporting her and taking interest in the child’s wellbeing and day to day stuff?Considering his challenges and shy personality, she has to make it easier for him to get used to living with another person under the same roof.

Also, something that doesn’t add up, though not a big deal is his family wouldn’t accept but his sister is in touch with yours whereas you and parents have not been involved as yet though you are and will be supporting her as always. Doesn’t make sense and can understand why you are so worried.

Wishing things fall in place soon for all of you, especially the child.

Rakhii likes this.
  7. Rakhii

He met my nephew on a few occasions. As "moms friend". They never really spent a lot of time together. I do trust her decision and hence I am trying really hard to be supportive...hell, i am even wondering what to give her for wedding! lol
    I feel like its too soon. Too soon to take 2 life changing decisions in the same year. hence the dilemma.

Hi parents doesnt know and will not accept my sister. my BIL's sister is supportive though. So apparently he introduced her to my sister.

BUT neither my sister non my future BIL mentioned about any introductions.
    From what she tells me, it seems like he is not too keen on meeting anyone as a prospective family member until after the divorce is finalised.

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Rakhii . I would be concerned too. Ur sis is trying to get out of an abusive marriage while single parenting a special needs kid. Not exactly an ideal time to get into a serious relationship
    This here is worrisome. Imbalanced on many fronts. The road will not be easy .
    That said...I am not so sure if u should dig any deeper. He is her only ray of happiness right now and she will hold on to it for her life. Deep down she is aware of the inconsistencies and is probably also sensing ur wariness...which is why she is guarding the whole thing fiercely. Anything u say against her relationship will only alienate u...u need to be there for her just in case. Its best to keep the channels of communication open .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii -
    Looking at it from your sister’s perspective - This is so hard. She probably never got spousal support. Even with support, I struggle so much at various juncture. She maybe seeing genuine care and concern in this man. It might be what she was lacking all along.

If I were her, I would secure my son’s financial future before getting remarried. There is no saying what someone can do to a special needs child after the parents. Here is what I would do - I’ll make a will, make my sister my son’s guardian and make her in charge of his finances. Unfortunately in India special needs trust funds are not available so this is her only option. That along with a strongly worded prenup is the route I would take.

NeetaR, Sandycandy and SunPa like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Rakhii, I understand that you live in Canada. Is your sister also a Canadian citizen?
    What about her boy friend's citizenship status? Also, how he is doing financially?
    I understand that your sister is already in her 40s, with a child. But your thread says, this is gonna be the first marriage for her would be's. If so, is there any reasons behind his late marriage (assuming he is in his 40s too).

Obviously, I would also be worrying should this happen to someone I care for. So, you and your feelings towards the whole thing is perfectly understandable.

First of all, it is natural to fall for a companionship/spousal love at this age, specially if that is denied or never offered to your sister. She obviously needs someone for her. Having a special kid doesn't make her a robot. She is a human being with all the feelings for love, sex, and care.
    So, understandably, this man's friendship can be soothing her. That is not a problem.
    The problem comes with her decision to marry this person. Marriage is far different from love and companionship. That too committing into a serious relationship with a special kid in the family needs to be very well analyzed.
    You just can't trust your instinct all the time.

Not all the men are cold hearted. Not all the men who offer to marry older women/divorced women/women with a heavy baggage are bad.
    I too was very skeptical about them, and always thought such men marry older/divorcee women with kids for money or whatever the benefits they can get in this relationship. Because we read and see a hell lot of such stories on a daily basis.
    Men cheat emotionally vulnerable women for sex, money, luxurious life etc.... and ditch them at last.
    Many such women end up having an additional baggage to carry (another kid) for the rest of their life.

But not all these men are bad. We just can't generalize here.
    At least, I have changed my mind after witnessing the blessed life of 4 of my friends in the recent past.
    A friend had a child with her BF before her marriage. Her BF ditched her and vanished into the thin air. She single handedly raised her child for 10 years. For whatever the reasons her character got damaged by the society, yet a friend of her opted to marry her wholeheartedly.
    He waited for her green signal for nearly 3-4 years, and convinced his side of the orthodox folks in another couple of years.
    Now they are happily married with another cute little child. Even her older child believes, this is his dad.

The other 3 friends were just divorcees, and their divorce happened within a couple of years after their marriage. They all got re-married, and all had love marriage only.
    Now all of them live happily and peacefully with kids.

Their men never ever show that they gave "life" to these divorcees. But looks like they are normal couple, and they "found" something special in them; hence fell for them.

If I were your sister, I would tread this matter carefully.
    I would continue this relationship without any commitments for now. Besides, I will secure my special need son's future with all the financial, and material stuff without any compromises.
    So, basically I would have only my present salary (that too a certain % would be secured for my son) with me.
    If my would be still like me as who I am, then I would consider marrying him. But again, I won't opt for a kid with this marriage - So, my would be has to accept this.
    Else, this can continue to be a simple friendship.

NeetaR likes this.