1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Party Proof A House During Housewarming

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by abc00, Nov 21, 2017.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,I'm helping a cousin with her housewarming and have been shopping reg this. Please pour in your ideas or things we need to buy to guest proof/party proof during housewarming. Carpet cleaners (name pls ?) wet tissues, etc comes to our mind right now. Is it good to host in groups or invite everyone together and be done with it.

2. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Resolve carpet cleaners works. If it is manageable it is better to invite everyone in one shot and get done with it. If the host prefers one on one small talks with all then inviting in small groups works but it is a lot of work though.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If doing pooja on same day, then, invite all together. Else, 2-3 logical groups works better. The best housewarming I went to was where they had hired an Indian restaurant service to come home and make dosas (in the garage, with door open).

Carpet cleaner -- for really bad stains like spilled coke, haldi spots, or juice also sometimes, nothing really works. It seems like the stain went away, but when carpet dries, it comes back. If food and drink can be contained to certain areas it is better, but that is hard to manage in housewarming parties.

Amica likes this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Set up a seperate dining area, order food and set up like a buffet counter, or you serve or have a live food counter. Seating at the dining area is important or else people will walk back to their seat with the food. Or else you may find dirty plates or cups in some random place. If you can't seat them all at the same time, seat people in batches.

If it's an eloborate pooja, traditional setup n you want to serve function kinda food, all at one go is better.
    But if you wana spend better time with the friends n family, n if the party varies between modern n traditional, it's better to have in groups.

If kids are gona be a part of this, make sure to move any breakable things out of their reach. Even adults can be clumsy, n accidents can happen, so anything valuable has to be placed carefully or locked inside.

Keep a room n a bathroom ready that will be open for the guests, that doesn't mean your other rooms are safe from usages. Make sure to lock any rooms, valuables n extra stuff that you want to protect. Keep only the required things outside.

Have cleaning materials handy, for water spills or someone pouring something, etc. Anything multicoloured n in darker shade will protect from bad stains.

Tissues, wet wipes, one big bathroom slipper outside the bathrooms, towels, hand soaps, etc.

Have a big garbage bin with the big bag n make sure people can see it to use it.

5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Above reply covers almost all aspects..
    Since it's a house warming party I'm assuming that the interior decors are not completely done...so any one room should be completely cleared up for the dining setup, preferably if that room has attached bathroom it'll be convenient for guests to wash up there itself..tissues, paan, etc to be kept near dining place.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Wow! Fresh garage dosas sounds kickass! I'll find someone to do that for my next party. Thanks for the idea, @Rihana. :)

7. happypoppy

happypoppy New IL'ite

To save the carpet from food stains, we had buffet style lunch in the basement and the chairs were placed like in a circle so everyone stays within the area, and we had carpet protection film(something which they use during painting). It worked really well. You can get it in Home Depot/Lowes or even amazon! Apart from that, we had lot of disinfectant wipes and bounty handy for other areas of the house.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

What kind of housewarming you planning? Religious + lunch/ dinner + timing + cold/warm weather + India/US?

Based on that, you can have outside backyard party and all food served outside and setup trash bins at couple places and tissue papers at different places so people do not move much with plates in hands and less spilling.

Some people do not let others bring shoes inside. That also helps.

You can set up like small set of sitting places as people tend to sit/stand in sub-groups, so like set of 2-3 chairs here and there. Not all of them prefer to sit in 1 big group since they do not know each other, mostly and I have noticed, men usually stand and flock near drinks and women prefer to sit or chase kids and many people sit near TV.
    Put bounty's here and there.

Then all depends on your place and timings etc. Do not stress much about home decor or cleaning. Since you will have to clean later also.
    We were also thinking to divide in groups but then decided for 1 as we did not have much time in hand and were late already. But I have been to parties where it was split in groups. Remember not all will come and some ditch at last min. I recommend doing same.
    Else you will be busy every month cleaning up/ food/after cleanup.

Kids are major mess-creators so create a corner for them. Like put a rug etc, with toys on it to keep them busy.

After so much planning, I had water/soda spills on my brand new table inspite of coasters/placements kept to use.
    Then on another table, people put hot coffee cups ( placements and coasters next to it but not used)

One of my friends, had pooja etc in main area then food etc setup in basement and people were leaving out from there after food.
    Good luck.

9. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

You can buy carpet protectors plastic sheet wrap kind of thing which you can spread on carpet. atleast near the pooja area or eating area. so this way your carpet is protected.
    i saw it in a friend's birthday party, basement had carpet and protected with these plastic sheets. it was safe and neat and everybody kept asking here where she got it and how she put it on. it was so neat, kids spilled cupcakes and juices on the carpet but carpet was protected.

abc00 likes this.
  10. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks @chaaral for that excellent tip. I would look for that.