Superstitions That You've Heard Which Have A Scientific Basis?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Nylaa, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

That's what I am saying. There are beliefs and there is common sense. We can accept and reject as per our lifestyle.

2. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

I agree. I think most people of our generation do accept and reject beliefs as per lifestyle and common sense. I think it's mostly the older generation who followed beliefs blindly. (Obviously, this doesn't apply to all older people as I'm sure skeptics have always existed).

Vale and Sunburst like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are two superstitions or beliefs/practices that I follow.

One is to do with trimming the nails. Not about trimming them during daylight and avoiding certain days. This is about how and where they are trimmed. We were taught and strictly required to trim them sitting/squatting down, near the general dustbin area, but gather them in a piece of plastic or paper, fold it up like we fold small items in India with piece of newspaper, and then throw the wrapped packet. Could not get my household to follow this. From their birth itself, better-half has trimmed the kids' nails, so, my practice remains only mine. Kids learnt to trim their own nails similarly -- standing by the garbage bin or outdoors. If I had not been so queasy about trimming a wriggly newborn's soft nails, things would've been different. : )

The other one is that at dusk, at least one light has to be on in the house before the sun sets, if we are inside the house. Literally put, when two "times" are meeting, the house shouldn't be dark. I forget what was the explanation mom gave us. Anyway, this one is followed.

Couple of them that I followed a few times half-heartedly, include, not celebrating birthday before the birthday. Somehow couldn't bring myself to have the kid's birthday party before the birthday. I knew that the superstition was baseless, and no harm would come to my child if celebrate birthday a few days early. Did it only once when it was unavoidable, and convinced myself that we were celebrating after the 'star' birthday, so it was ok........

If I remember right, did not shop for more than basic essentials during first pregnancy. Again, due to superstition. somehow, when it can impact the kids, I err on the side of caution (?).

ashima10, Nylaa and jskls like this.
  4. Rihana

Oh ye, of little faith .. see how wrongly proven : ) 4 pages on and peace reigns..... unless the post was a clever 'black dot' to ward off the can of worms. :cool:

Mention of black dot reminds me of one more superstition I followed a few times.... put black sticker bindi behind my sleeping baby's ear : )

5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Pyaari, i feel women didn’t have much freedom those days and their choices were limited....
    Yes, i agree if she wants to venture, she must have the freedom to do, well unfortunately the fear of animals....

I guess women had lot of dos and donts those days, some exists even now....
    Everyone wanted to come up with their version of upbringing of an ideal girl

Nylaa, Vale and Naari like this.
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:blush: I had sent black dots* in email -- usually to children, when I am too far away to hug and congratulate for doing something too darn cute.
    And what's more, this is completely rational. A palliative to calm oneself.
    *☻☻☻☻☻

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Those look like jack o'lantern faces. Or products of a selfie stick with a will of its own. Did the children need to be hugged and calmed after viewing those?

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

My bad ! Talking of worms, did you know about the “NASA” worm logotype that was retired from use in the early 90’s :)?

Rihana likes this.
  9. Vale

Vale New IL'ite

Same belief here ☺ Although I don't see any rational bad consequence, I follow it strictly.

10. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

I recently heard a Romani superstition regarding blue eyes. According to their belief, blued-eyed people are said to harbor spirits and are believed to be more prone to spirit possession. As such, blue-eyed people are temperamental (because they're sometimes possessed and not always "themselves").

I can't think of a possible explanation for this one but, then again, I'm not familiar with their culture. Maybe because colored eyes are not as common in their ethnicity?