Things Which Worked For Increasing Milk Supply....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Daffodil13, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

I must first say Thanks to all wonderful ladies here who helped me during my tough pregnancy and also with my breastfeeding issues.

During my first pregnancy, due to less awareness and no support, I ended up giving formula fed for my daughter and My daughter barely got mother milk. Max I gave for 10-15 days. I had that guilt feeling :(

So for second time, I was preparing myself and strongly determined that I should breastfeed my baby. With god's grace and support, this time I could breastfeed my baby. There were days when my milk supply has gone down and I came here for help. Many ladies have helped me with suggestions. I followed all of them and today due to all of it, I could exclusively breastfeed till now. My baby is now 5 months complete and in to 6th month. In all this journey, there were days when milk would automatically leak and there were days when milk is very very low. The only one thing which helped is be strong and stick that you will give only BF. Just keep on giving baby milk...no matter whether it is less or more. Don't think about it.

My husband and my mom forced me to give bottle to him as my feed is less. Infact i tried for 2 days when baby is in 3rd month. He cried badly and refused. From then, I determined myself that I will feed him even if he asks for every 1 hour. There are days when he use to ask for feed every 1 hour and I did gave him...That actually helped me to increase my milk supply. Now I follow proper 2 hours gap in between feeds.

I wanted to share few tips here which helped me to boost my milk supply. I thought to draft it down here so that it will help other ladies out here who are going through similar phase...

1. Drink plenty water. 4-5 liters.
    2. I use to boil Jeera, Ajwain and Fennel seeds. I spoon each in 2 liters of water. Once water boils, switch off and drink that water whole day.
    3. Galact granules with milk. Twice a day
    4. When milk supply is so low...Just take mutton bones soup weekly thrice. I took continuously for 3 weeks and it helped a lot.
    5. Ate sunnundalu( telugu sweet). Urad dal laddoo
    6. Dill leaves and methi leaves
    7. Oats once a days with chopped almonds
    8. Garlic ( i use to eat min 6-7 clove pods a day)
    9. Fish
    10. Paneer , Milk
    11. Sesame seeds chikki
    12. Mutton Kheema

Anything above can work or you can try 2 or 3.

Of all above, first thing is trust that you could feed your baby and keep on feeding. dont give up.
    All the best for you guys and happy breastfeeding...

tinkerbell, Laks09, Nonya and 3 others like this.

2. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

Thanks OP. Your experience will def help ppl like me..
    I BF'ed for one month now and feel that supply is reducing. Started taking fenugreek capsules and sowbhagya sonti. Hope this helps..
    Also, my mom has put me on strict diet and only warm water intake. Am not able to drink lots of warm water like cold water.. i wonder if that is one culprit.

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It' good to see your positive spirit. Keep going. Hope new mommies and those who struggle will find it useful and gain confidence too.

Daffodil13 likes this.
  4. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

I am glad that this is helping u...if you can get fresh methi leaf, please take it as curry. If not, soak methi seeds and take them. Both works. Yes, water intake should be more. Increase water intake some how. My mom also insisted to take only warm water infact my mom told me to take less water like 1 litre a day. I didn't listen to her and explained the need to take more water. I also boiled water and let it cool down and took for first 3 months. Later I continued normal water.

5. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much vasumathy. All u ppl helped me to reach this . I will be glad if my experience helps other ladies out here becoz I know the stress and pain in going through that phase

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

The Number one item, drink lots and lots of good, clean water, is the key factor. Other than that, eating a reasonably high protein diet that suits well for your body, that is, being "regular", and having no bloated feelings, would be the way to go.
    Of those dozen items, I like the garlic comment. It would surely be good for the mum. The rest of it would depend on whether you are a vegetarian or not. It is best to be not a vegan if you a breast feeding mother.