1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daughter's Infatuation

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nayidulhan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I remember that I had crushes on classmates since 1st grade (6 years old). In fact, when we were celebrating my birthday, I invited all my classmates, but I was most excited about that one kid attending my birthday party. I am pretty sure my mom knew that I liked him, since I couldn't stop talking about him. My mother never made a big deal about it. She let me talk, and that's all really. I had other crushes as I grew older. The funny thing is, when I entered high school, I didn't have a single crush. I was not very interested in boys, and ended up being a very studious sort and made sure that I got into a good college.

I think it is a passing phase, something that is fun to think about at the age, and she would outgrow it. Many of my friends were also pretty similar to this, and the only difference I have seen is that the girls who had big wedding plans as children, ended up wanting/having lavish weddings once they became adults. Please don't worry about this or tell your daughter that she should think about these things. It may make the thoughts stick, and might make her want to break your rules.

MonikaSG and sindmani like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very well said. don't encourage, don't discourage....just listen and then move on with your next work. Do this regularly when there are no current issues to handle. Make such talk something that happens almost every day. Once there is a connection, once child knows parent can listen without too much dissection and reaction, panicking, the parent will be the first person the child comes to share. Once child is sharing, any issue becomes easier to deal with.

I read somewhere: to have someone truly listen to you, listen to you to understand, not listen to you to reply, is a beautiful feeling. For that person to be your parent, even more so.

sindmani likes this.
  3. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

I totally agree with this