1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Laughing For Fifty Years And Still Laughing!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 30, 2017.

1. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Simply loved this Cheeniya
    I am a voracious reader too ... we are all in our family, for that matter! I have read the authors you have mentioned and others too! My father saw to it that we read classics too. Who can forget wuthering Heights ? Dad used to buy Classics Illustrated ( comics) along with other comics.
    Now my fiction is restricted only to PGW!! I have started reading a lot of spiritual books too along with PGW..and books on reincarnation and etc. etc.
    I would say that my language improved after starting on the PGW collection owned by my hubby.
    And all of us are great PGW fans too!
    Thank God my hubby too is a PGW fan and I started reading PGW with great SPEED after stepping into my PUKKAAM. We still read PGW ..and my handle here " Jeeves " is my way of thanking this King of humour. I am an incorrigible humorist too ! Humaour makes us face any challenge in life ! May be this is one of the reasons that my husband and I have never quarrelled in these - more than 50 years of married life !

shyamala1234 likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Jeeves
    Dear Jeeves
    Evelyn Waugh, an incurable Wodehouse fanatic, once said that he read Wodehouse before falling asleep every night because if he died in his sleep, people would find him with a smile on his face! I am a Wodehouse fanatic. I used to read a few chapters of some novel of his everyday. But after a stroke last year which affected my sight in the right eye, I am unable to read anything these days. The stroke affected my memory too but I am able to hold on to all that I have read of Wodehouse. I know a lot of people who have never read Wodehouse and I always say 'God forgive them! For they know not what they are missing!'
    My favourite is Psmith. And also Augustus Fink Nottle fondly known as Gussy. Who can forget his drunken oration in a prize giving ceremony in The Grammar School at Market Snodsbury? It was one of Wodehouse's best!
    Happy to meet another Wodehouse fanatic here!
    Sri

Jeeves likes this.
  3. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Sorry to hear about your eye and memory..
    If I am not being impertinent,,,can I suggest something ?
    In olden days, we used to teach the little kids..starting from the fifth month to take the hands over their heads , clap the palms together and and say < "Krishna Rama Govinda..." what they do in Bhajans.
    These are not just ordinary movements...
    When you take your hands above the head and clap...chanting..the optical nerves are strengthened , they say. May be every morning you could do this for five minutes..I am sure there will be improvement.
    Just s suggestion of good will.
    Yes I love Psmith too.
    In fact, the Cardiac Surgeon who did a bypass on my husband some 6 years back, is a great PGW fan and told me that he has read Leave it to Psmith 29 times !!!

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Jeeves
    There are times when you wish you had hundreds of thousands of eyes. I had moments like that when I was working in the Himalayas in the 1970s. In the ecstasy of beholding God's images, we sing that we may be blessed with a thousand eyes When we watch helplessly atrocities being committed we wish we had no eyes at all. Having gone past mid seventies, I find that one eye is good enough because I see nothing new any more! One eye is not a handicap at my age!
    I really appreciate your concern for my vision. I assure you that I'll do as suggested by you.
    I have lost count of how many times I have read some of PGW's novels! It's a pity that I don't do it any more but some of the episodes are deeply engraved in my mind and make me laugh every time I recall the episodes.