1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Air Fryer Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Amica, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I'm thinking of finally buying an air fryer. I hope to use it for making stuff like cutlets and for frying fish. I'll probably use it no more than once or twice a month.

I'm open to suggestions outside of this list, but the contenders at the moment are:
    Black and Decker PuriFry
    Farberware Air Fryer
    Philips Airfryer

Please advise. Thank you.

momsky likes this.

2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

From Nonya's old thread, it sounds like Philips is the best. I have the T-fal 2 in 1 but only used it once so far.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I’m looking into one too. I’m not convinced of its use. I have read reviews that the food isn’t as tasty as deep fried or oven baked food. I’m pretty good with the oven for most stuff and am wondering if airfryer makes a difference.

Amica and momsky like this.
  4. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

I ordered the new model of the Phillips Air Fryer during Black Friday but they were out of stock and it won't be here for awhile yet. I did look at some cheaper brands but some of them appear to be coming directly from China - don't want to mess with that. And some seem to work just fine until they just up and quit - and where ever I found someone that had happened to, they always seemed to replace it with a Philips.

Do keep in mind, that Black and Decker has about 60% of the capacity of the other 2 models. It is only 2 qt, the other two are something like 3.2 qt or 3.3 qt. This matters but it is area not volume that matters - the more space there is to spread out across the bottom and the shallower your "layering" is, the better the device works.

There are several sellers offering refurbished Philips air fryers, both the old and new models. Look for the one that is selling the old model for $79 and the new model (refurbs, both) for $89. He has a lot of positive reviews, and I put it through fakespot and it got an A rating for reliability (that the reviews are mostly from real reviewers and not people faking good reviews to sell more product).

I would put the links here but in the past I got told that was not allowed and I had postings removed. Anyway the old model is 9220 and the $79.95 refurb on that is out of stock, but the new one is 9621 and that is still available for $89.95. But it has NO reviews yet and I don't know if it is the same seller as the older model with all the good reviews. So ... I'm not sure I would risk that one.

The one I did buy was the 9621 model and I got it for $25 or $30 off during Black Friday. I am looking forward to finally being able to make masala peanuts without burning them every single time! (among other things of course, LOL!)

Again, don't have it yet - but while it seems to be true that things cooked in it don't taste exactly like deep fried, they are still good. Plus none of the muss or fuss of hot oil and deep frying, and as long as you're good with the capacity - this is not going to make meals for a family of more than 2 or 3 - its just as good for many things as an oven. The most frequent use of my oven is to heat up one or two egg rolls, a handful of sweet potato fries, or a frozen dosa - all much better handled in the air fryer. And many report that it is BETTER for some tasks than the full size oven - for chicken wings or kebabs for instance.

Its also way better than any countertop "oven" I've ever had. Those things put out crazy crazy heat on all six sides - left, right, front, back, top, bottom - and the temperature control leaves a lot to be desired. Many in the same price range as the air fryers don't even really hold much more than the air fryers, if they even hold as much. Reports indicate that you get better temperature control in an air fryer and they take up less room on the counter top. We'll see I guess.

The only thing I can think of that would be better in the oven or a countertop model is toast.

For me the fact that it will automatically shut itself off is a BIG plus that will make me forgive a lot of shortcomings (should I find any). Just yesterday I burned things in the oven TWICE - because it doesn't have an auto shut off and you can't really hear the timer on it.

Not at all because I am old and forgetful. Uh-uh. Nope. Nothing to see here ... this is not the droid you are looking for ...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Amica likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@momsky, Philips made the original air fryer. I don't know if it's still the best.

Thanks for the tip — I'll go looking for Nonya's old thread. :thumbsup:

momsky likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09, I currently use a convection toaster oven and I'm not sure the air fryer would be much better. I've been on the fence for a while and it's time to pull the trigger.

7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@ZenSojourner, thanks for the detailed reply.:)

Good point! I hadn't noticed this. I guess that rules out the Black and Decker one.

Do post a review once you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

I'm still not sure if the air fryer has any advantages over a good convection toaster oven. I guess it's time to find out.

:lol: I hear you.

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I got the Gowise USA one couple of months ago and totally love it. I use it atleast once a week. Fried fish turns out really well. Works well for chicken , eggs, paneer, tofu , veggies as well.
    Cleanup is easy. The only drawback so to speak is that everything cooks best at 400 deg F. Tried lower and it either takes too long or does not crisp as well. But no complains there, 400 deg F setting has worked very well for everything I have cooked so far.

Archanaanchan and Amica like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, @Sandycandy!

This is what I hoped to hear. But eggs? How?

Also, what capacity would you recommend? I see 3.7 qt and 5.8 qt on Amazon.

Sandycandy and Archanaanchan like this.
  10. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

@Amica check out frenchMay too... I have my friends using this:) They are very happy with the product

Amica and Sandycandy like this.