1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Manage Mother In Law?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Newbee1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

I know, in arrange marriage we have a hard time understanding our partner,so we want to spend maximum time with our partner to know each other. But they dont understand this. If we have any weekend plan and miss to call them its all melodrama. Why dont you return our calls.

2. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

After all such events I really feel ...phone should be banned ....I stopped using social media and massenger and I am really happy with it.

3. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

Hi ILs,

Its me again. I hope you remember my story.I need help plz plz.
    Yesterday my husband and I got into a fight. And he called me materiallistic because I had asked for TV. I told him that TV is not a luxurious thing but he was like whatever I couldnt afford it that time and u made me buy it.
    We went on vacations 2 times, that also he said, ki shopping,ghoomna TV ye sab materialistic hai.
    Ye sab chahiye tha to why didnt u marry any businessman or paisewala.

I was hurt by his comments.I didnt ask for anything that was costly or something.Asking for TV, asking for occasional hangout, how does that make me materialistic? He was playing a victim card saying mere pass to paise hai nahi,jao koi aisa dhundho jo tumhe sab kuch de sake,I have to pay for EMI for the house bought in Mumbai.
    I dont understand what to do, I was working at very good post and salary in Infosys.I left that job to accompany him here.I am on H4 visa now. I do not want to live with him anymore knowing that he thinks of me so low. I am considering separation but am scared as hell. Because if we get divorce, it will be me who will get affected the most.
    I will not have job, I have lost 1 year in carrier which will be a huge setback. I will have to go back to India, and waha ki situation we all know, relatives,neighbors,friends.Everyone will become suddenly interested in my life. It will be hard to be single again.
    It wont affect him as he will have his job here as before,his home. No one is going to bother him by asking questions in US.

I called my mom today morning, then she called him but he was talking to her so nicely and convincing that my mom didnt say anything more and asked me to adjust.

I am not sure what to do. Please guide me on this.

4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

He might be disturbed by all the tensions that he have related to huge expenses that he is doing. He may not want to hurt you and neither he wants to leave his responsibilities. Sometimes it happens when a person is disturbed he says something harsh but that's not to hurt the other person but to take out the frustration that he has inside him. You don't overreact on this and leave the topic as it is. Be normal and search for a job. Infosys is a very good company. If you worked there then you must have the skills. Don't waste more time to think. Taking too long will make you far from the good options that you can get now. Search for the job and become your own boss in terms of money. Dont share your salary or expenses with your dh in future. But for now keep quiet be happy and try to adjust and keep the search on. All the best. I know you will soon get a nice opportunity. :)

5. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

Thanks MonikaSG for the kind words.
    When he said those words yesterday, I asked him did he really mean that. He knew it hurt me a lot and said he wanted to say that for quite a long time. I dont think he just got carried away said that. he repeated those things when my mom called him today.
    I cant search for a job here in USA as i m on H4 visa.

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Explore ...you may get some thing. May be you can get a work visa yourself as you have lot of experience.

Best ways H4 dependent visa holders can work in the USA - Careerizma

Do you have internet in your home ? if so, you can watch all TV programs online. We dont need a TV for entertainment.

Instead of sitting in home (Idle mind is devils workshop) try to get out of home. Find some volunteer activities in your area. Try to be active and busy. That may solve many issues.

Give some time to your husband. Completely stop demanding even simple things.. Let him come to you. I think the house he bought will come to him . May be it is an investment for your future.

Instead of depending on your dh for you happiness, try to find ways to make you happy.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    sindmani and Newbee1 like this.
  7. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

Hi DDream,

This was the first article I read when I came to USA. :) I didnt want to sit at home and lose my confidence.
    If the legal process of his I-140 goes smoothly we will have EAD by April'18.
    Also I am studying for GRE and was planning on taking an exam in Dec-Jan.
    But the issue is frequent arguments with my husband. I do not demand anything that I know I wouldnt buy if it were my money. I did all my necessary shopping in our last India trip by breaking my FD.
    Yeah, I am now following the the same thing you mentioned, not demanding anything.
    I sleep on the floor now as he might think bed is also materialistic.(as he thought as TV was.)

I am also searching any volunteer activity near me as you said.
    I was thinking of walking out of the marriage as we are not compatible at all. Not sure what to do

sindmani and DDream like this.
  8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

:)Good OP, try to be busy and active. Hope you get a job soon.

"But the issue is frequent arguments with my husband"
    Don't worry much about it. Everyone do that. If you want to convey something serious, talk in calm, stern and cool way. Also demand the respect back. If he starts arguing/fighting, walk away. Dont allow any one to mistreat you. Give respect and demand it back.

If he question it, tell him you are here to discuss not argue. Both of you are adults so need to talk in proper way. If one cannot, then no need to talk. If one cannot listen, dont expect the other to listen. If you think you are in arguing mode for no reason, count some numbers or chant some sloka or take a deep breath or walk way.

"I was thinking of walking out of the marriage as we are not compatible at all. Not sure what to do"
    you are not alone.. this happens in arranged marriage. It take years to find a common ground. Me too...
    Try to find positives in him. try to find positive aspect in everything. It is tough living a lonely life in US. Be busy and be happy in your own world. Rest will follow. Take care

sindmani and Newbee1 like this.
  9. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

At the moment it just is too much to take in. I have completely lost my piece of mind.
    I have been searching for volunteer opportunities,there are available but not at walking distance, I dont want to go in his car.

10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Get drivers license . if there is good public transport in ur place use it.