Really Odd Facts About Destinations....

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Nonya, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

@Iravati says she hates Paris, except for certain pastries they have over there. I like Paris. There are lots of things to see and amuse oneself.
    Great town for people watching. One time, there was this really really pregnant girl walking towards me in their main drag. She was taking such confident, long strides, and stepping on her heels as she moved. My heart jumped to my throat; I wanted to stop her and tell her to be careful, lest she stumble and fall. She was wearing sensible, gripping footwear. Phew...

upload_2017-11-22_10-20-39.png

Paris has some good cemeteries. We can visit some famous people. Antoine Lavoisier -- showed how much oxygen there is in the air (anyone recall highschool chemistry lab?), who got his head chopped off in a guillotine is laid to rest in a special cemetery there. And so is General Lafayette, the one who helped Geo Washington whup the English in the war of independence. This tombstone has an American Flag on it; easy to spot.
    You may also get surprises in visits to the quiet parts of the cemetery to look at old headstones of famous people we had read about in history books:
    upload_2017-11-22_10-35-8.png

upload_2017-11-22_10-37-5.png

Attached Files:

Rihana, Naari and momsky like this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Recently I was out there in a forin land. Close to lunch time. Two girls busy in the kitchen. They said lunch would be in fifteen minutes. What with the jetlag, and the notion that I ought to eat only when really hungry, I decided to become hungry with a fifteen minute brisk walk outdoors. So I put on my thick socks, pick up my iphone, tell them goodbye, and despite their protests, promising to be back in 15, put on my shoes, picked up my jacket, hat, and gloves and headed out. It was a pleasant walk. The canals were close to the brim, with water birds doing their thing. I walked over a couple of bridges, and was gawking at the natives. After about a 5 minute walk, I turned around. In a couple of minutes, I came to a bridge that I had walked over. that bridge was split, and my side was pointing straight up at the sky, with a twin-red light blinking on the side. I figured it would soon come down again... After five whole minutes it was still up. A boat went through under it, and another was coming right up. I didn't know when it would come down again. So I called home to tell them about my predicament, and asked them to start lunch without me.
    Naturally, they wouldn't. They waited for me.I was late by more than 30 minutes. Should relatives make you feel at ease, at home etc... or foist guilt on you for not listening to their advice?
    upload_2017-12-7_20-4-48.png

nakshatra1 likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I stumbled on the Methuselah of quaintness nestled in Iran called "Masuleh" here.

Masuleh architecture is unique. The buildings have been built into the mountain and are interconnected. Courtyards and roofs both serve as pedestrian areas similar to streets. Masuleh does not allow any motor vehicles to enter, due to its unique layout. It is the only city in Iran with such a prohibition. However, the small streets and many stairs simply wouldn't make it possible for vehicles to enter. The spectacular architecture of Masuleh is popularly known as "The yard of the building above is the roof of the building below". --Wikipedia.

Would there be "Don't play football on my roof even if it is your yard" gate signs, er, roof signs?

upload_2017-12-17_18-53-41.png

upload_2017-12-17_18-54-28.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Nonya likes this.