Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I don't profess anything in particular. When I change my avatar picture to this .... (Virginia Woolf)
    upload_2017-11-5_11-26-5.jpeg
    I would likely comment that if only she'd been a mechanical engineer, (or at least, had married one) she'd be wearing some jewellery.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Nonya! I hope Ragini25 got her answer.

Nonya likes this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

funny !
    upload_2017-11-5_11-57-1.png

que no me ven = they can't see me

Naari likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish

I know that you are into space and writing. Both fields are boundless yet cross over in imaginative minds. Here's something for you related to your passion. I like pudding visual essays. I came across this Seeing Earth From Outer Space essay today. I liked the facts, nifty multimedia, and uncluttered layout. Check out if the article interests you. Treat this as a friend-to-friend shared excitement on common interest and not necessarily pertinent to your ongoing space series.

kkrish likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Jr. takes on assigned readings from mummy,o_O no bribes ? That is nice. I must say that the NY'er has the reputation for going on and on in an essay. I have not seen that issue yet. I am always backlogged in catching up. There is never enuf time.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Iravati
    I am not sure how I missed this post. My apologies for the delayed response.
    Lovely, lovely pictures. Thank you very much.

Shall I, with your permission, add the link in the Earth thread? This way these fabulous pictures will reach those who read that article also.

I had planned to take up the mechanics involved in space research (telescopes, man -made satellites, rockets, etc.)after dealing with the naturally occurring/ present stuff out there. I may refer again to this link at that point also.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

No apology required. I am glad that you liked it.

I shall look forward to your space-themed articles.

kkrish likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

There are a few youtube videos of Rakugo delivered in English. Here is one. Was taped from a show in Malaysia.

Rakugo is a variant of the "Shaggy Dog Story" genre. The SDS may have conversations, or depending on whether or not the story-teller can throw voices, it may just have descriptions of the conversations. Garrison Keillor (The Prairie Home Companion, Minnesota, USA) does a SDS in every episode of his radio show. His "news from lake wobegon" could be compared to a story from the village of Malgudi (R.K.Narayan's fictional town in the Cauveri R. delta).
    Grandmothers in Malaysia would tell made up bedtime stories that are long winded, with lots of details.... and these stories had review questins as well. And just about all these review questions had one-word answers. Much later, as a grownup, one would realize the rationale for those questins: they checked if the child is already asleep, as well as whether she was following the story. Suddenly nana'd stop, and ask, "you remember the merchant's name?" or "which town are they going to?".

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Popular pilgrimages in the western world are those caminos de Santiago, in Spain and Portugal. Wikipedia has an entry on the hiking scheme. Even young people in their forties do it.
    One would walk about 20 to 30 kilometers a day, then rest in a wayside hotel, hospetaje, Inn etc.. and then do that all over again the next day. Each rest stop will have a cathedral to visit. And they stamp your visitor book. And one does it all the next day. At the very end, there is this grand cathedral in St.James (St. Jaques in french) where one gets a certificate for completing the walking route. The red line in northern spain (on the map ) is the most popular walking route. Hundreds of pilgrims do it. People make friends along the hike. The food, and wines are great.
    [​IMG]

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Nonya I shall catch up with your posts. I have been huffing around and spread myself too thin.