Best/safest Material For Cookware Sets?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Naari, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am curious to know, what according to you is the best/safest material for cookware to use in cooking : stainless steel, aluminum, copper, non-stick, hard enamel or any other?

I have heard some discouraging things about using non-stick & aluminum cookware for cooking. I had bought an aluminum pot from India which I loved dearly but tossed it upon reading that some studies have proved that Alzheimer's has been linked to aluminum. Most internet sites state that the studies are not conclusive but they sure are enough to scare me off!

I am so tempted to buy all the Rachael Ray colorful cookware sets but they are mostly made of hard enamel or are non-stick, so confused on whether to buy those. I have been sticking to stainless steel only for peace of mind!

So, pls share your thoughts. Also, experts pls suggest if there are any other features one should keep in mind while buying cookware.

Thank you!

Amica likes this.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I have also heard bad reviews about Aluminum utensils..But havent heard any bad reviews about stainless steel..So in terms of this point and general maintenance, I feel stainless steel is better.

Naari likes this.
  3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I am currently sticking to Steel. I feel steel would be easy to handle and safe as well.

Naari and sindmani like this.
  4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

The jury is still out there over the purported link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s . Internet is full of stuff like dental fillings containing silver , mercury , flu shots , antiperspirants and even the artificial sweeteners can cause alzheimers but there is no conclusive evidence yet .

I only use stainless steel for everything and iron pots and pans for greens and roti/ dosa . I would stay away from non stick for sure . Copper would be safe too but never used it . I do use the old style aluminum pressure cooker regularly

Rachael Ray to me is overrated but her line of cookware may not be .

Naari likes this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Darling, for a person who only shops top brands like MK, Ted Baker, etc & maybe top of the line in cookware too, of course Rachael Ray can’t be impressive enough :biggrin::D

On a serious note, I agree there’s too much info out there with none conclusive. But once you read something, you don’t want to be the guinea pig, shd it turn out to be true, isn’t it?

Any suggestions on particular brands to buy?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Sunburst likes this.
  6. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Stainless steel, traditional indian metals & vessels (kadai, brass cook pots etc) and even stone ware (dosa pan). I have been off teflon & such stuff for a long long time.

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  7. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Just simple stainless steel, iron tawas and iron pans ... no aluminum or teflon coated non-stick

Naari likes this.
  8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

9. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Always been stainless steel and iron pans.... initially did use nonstick, but wasnt too happy with the results....

I have had earthenwares are good too, havent tried them....

Anyday, i love having my food on a stainless steel plate or on a banana leaf

Naari and Sunburst like this.
  10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite