Career Options For 40+ It Women

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by diamond1880, Nov 7, 2017.

1. diamond1880

diamond1880 Senior IL'ite

Today an incident got me thinking about what career options are available for 40+ yr old women in the IT sector, The women I am talking about have joined the IT sector close to 15 years ago, they have moved up the ladder into technical and managerial roles but technology also has advanced and changed four folds right!!
    So what are the options for them. let me know your views

2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I think irrespective of gender one should be geared up with latest technologies to stay in the game.
    I find lot of women in QA related roles for the age group you mentioned. That again is getting automated these days!

sindmani likes this.
  4. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

In my opinion, the age does not matter..[Ref movie "36 vayadhinile.."]. Women in Senior profile work as Director/Delivery Manager/Program Mgr roles. Usually women are very committed to the time line, quality and Customer communication and empathy towards their employees. Irrespective of the Technology, as you become a leader waht matters is the People management skills and Business financials so that they can bring more revenue and reduce operation cost to keep the profit. The mindset of the Employers and recruiters have to change to accomodate this style...

5. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I think Age is not a limit when you want to excel in the Career for any Women. I think the only question which comes up is Career vs Family. How much to dedicate for each of them. Especially when you do not have any support to manage both. I have seen people quit their highly paying jobs and settle for less stressful job and accommodating jobs where they can give more time to their family.

If you have to be in the technical field , then you have to be upgraded with the latest technologies.

6. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

As i have seen in the IT industry , People are in Project Management , Technical architects , Product Managers , Lead Consultants.