1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Laws Comments On Breast Milk

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Ammu2886, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

My baby is 5 months old. I had visited my in laws place last week for baby's Anna prasanam-first time rice feed.

My MIL was indirectly asking my baby 'How did you survive only with breast milk for so many days'?? Mom never gave you anything except milk!!! How bad..!

Milk production is sufficient and he drinks enough milk.

She expects me to give my baby top feed from 4th month but I was adamant to give him breast milk till 6 months.
    When we were travelling to temple for annaprasanam choor oonu she again said, I think your baby will be the least weight of all from today's list. My baby weighs 6kgs at 5 months.

She told u don't give water to the baby, baby will feel thirsty after drinking milk.

I AM bit annoyed with these talks but never gave any back reply and planning to continue Milk till 6 months.

2. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Ammu, you are doing the right thing, keep doing it and ignore your MIL's talks with your baby. In India, I have seen this that some people keep advising you to start solids soon and to give water. When I visited India from US when my son was 3 months old, I got the same advice, not only from my in-laws side but relatives and friends from my parents side too. I just didn't listen to them and kept doing what I wanted to do (exclusive breastfeeding up until 6 months). You are doing great, keep doing it!

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

In one ear, out the other ear. You should keep doing what's best for your baby. Let her talk all she wants.

Sunburst, amunique and Ammu2886 like this.
  4. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Great Ammu. Your son's weight also is normal for his age. Continue exclusive breast feeding till 5 1/2 to 6 months and then start with regular semisolids 2 times a day. Slowly increase the frequency. You can start giving water at that time. Continue breast feeding as long as you can or till 2 yrs.

Ammu2886 and nakshatra1 like this.
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ammu. First of all hats off to you for making so much effort to give liquid gold to your baby. Motherhood is as it is difficult and that gets compounded with all the comments and criticisms that people shower all the time . I have been there so I know how it feels .

You are doing the right thing by exclusively breastfeeding your baby for the first 6 months . Our culture seems to put to much emphasis on fat , chubby means healthy which is not true . As long as your baby is well fed , gaining some weight and healthy, you are on the right track .

Regarding their comments , remember that they come from a different generation . In their times , babies were fed cows milk from day 1 if a mother couldn’t nurse or supplemented with nursing . They would offer herbs to infants thinking that it will boost the immunity and help with digestion . I was given such advises but I never gave in . My older one was quite lean as compared to other babies so I was quite immune to the usual comments like baby is hungry , not enough milk, supplement with formula . I realized there is no point rationalizing with them because either they are doing this to provoke me which I won’t let it happen or they have a different style of parenting which I don’t subscribe to . Go easy on the solids once you start and slowly increase the frequency . Breastmilk should always be the primary source of nutrition for the first year .

Ammu2886 and BhumiBabe like this.
  6. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

IGNORE Op, not worth arguing!! you can add Doctor's name, before and after the sentence when you talking something about your baby to anyone.

Example: regarding BM, My doctor told that I have enough supply and baby growth is good so far.

Ammu2886 likes this.
  7. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Yes OP,I have done that as well.
    I hav told doctor asked to BF till 6 months.,..and whenever baby puts hand in his mouth they say.ahhh u r hungryyh...but wht to do..ur mom only listens to doctors.we hav not raised any kids and we dnt have any experience in raising kids and ur mom listens only to doctors...they blame doctors :-D .

8. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Yes Op,I am gonna do the same..Thanks:)

9. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Yup :beer-toast1:

10. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

@Sunburst Thanks Op :)