1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Words Of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 21, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Uncle

Yet again another deep post which made me re-analyse myself. First thought came to my mind was, how grateful I am to connect to you and other highly intellectual but humbled elders through this platform which enable me to learn a new thing every time when I read a post and the discussions follow thereafter. At this moment in my life, I feel my dharma is to do my duty towards the family to my full potential and do my best in every action of mine. I always followed , to be correct , trying to follow 'help ever,hurt never'. When I say this, I painfully know the moments I hurt people without an intention and I do pray that it will never happen. I totally agree that, we are all trying to do our best with our circumstances but we MUST willing to learn and correct ourselves towards dharmic life. There is always a way to correct ourselves and be better. In that regard, I so respect you uncle and all others here how you are all contributing to my learning curve.
    Thank you.
    Warm regards,
    Vani

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I do not know what you mean by 'as many fellow beings as possible'. It is a tall order. I look at it this way. You must first take good care of yourself for you are the pivot around whom your family revolves. Then take good care of your family and ensure that they are materially and spiritually well taken care off. These alone may take a substantial portion of your energy. Helping people other than your family is highly laudable but it must be properly prioritized. Harilal, so of Mahatma Gandhi, died of liver trouble caused by excessive drinking four months after his father's demise. Gandhiji spent all his life for the country but not about his family. Ironically the younger generation is slowly forgetting Gandhi and his teachings. For them, knowledge about him is just worth 5 marks in their examination. If he had spent just a small portion of his time to take good care of his family, an alcoholic death of his son at the age sixty could have been avoided.
    I am not suggesting that we should all be very self centered to take care of only ourselves and our families. I am only saying that our primary responsibility is to our family. I do not think it is possible to help our fellow beings on our own. We can at best be part of humanitarian bodies who have well organised set up to help deserving needy people.
    Sri

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

The pleasure is mine to connect with you via IL. Yes. "The service begins at home" is what Swami said and apparently your present dharma is to do your duty towards the family to your full potential and achieve a great sense of fulfillment in everything you do. Love All Serve All and Help Ever and Hurt Never are the two major simple teachings that emanated from the scriptures.

As you know, three wings of the world organization consist of Service, Adoration and Illumination, three aspects that makes the word "SAI". As your children grow and your responsibilities at home gets a shade easier, concentrate more on simple service projects such as feeding the poor, helping the elders in your area who are sick, getting groceries when they could not drive, teaching other children a few moral values or serve the homeless, if there is any in your area. This gives immense amount of pleasure and expands our love and triggers the feeling of oneness and unity. There is no need to teach a woman about adoration such as chanting, singing bhajans and worshiping. But whenever, you get some me time, spend it to study self and learn more about everything you chant. This is a good beginning. If you are already doing all that, please forgive me.

I am not doing anything to teach anyone here and I am the one who is learning by articulating some thoughts for my own benefit and in the process learn from the responses.

Viswa

girvani likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thank you for your kind response. Your guidance is invaluable about putting the family first. As you rightly pointed out, the most of my time is still spent on taking care of my family. I definitely know what you mean when you say prioritize the family before extending help to others. I consider your invaluable advice as an act of affectionate brother.

Those words about helping others as a mission is more of an affirmation for myself to continue doing what I already do here to help the people in need, seniors who need help in the Hospice, sharing knowledge with young children and adult who are aspiring to build career and help the neighbors whenever possible. I do most of it under various organizations already established and not as an individual. I am a volunteer in the Hospice and sometimes, they do call me to talk to a senior who needs some attention. Sometimes, I participate in the health camp that provides services to the homeless such as Podiatry, Eye, Dental, etc. who has no means to pay for such services. Sometimes, I go to a charitable organization and arrange things for them to access easily and other times, I contribute canned food. Once a year, we distribute backpacks for homeless school-going children. Most are done over the weekend and these actions give a great sense of happiness to me.

Once I retire and my son is settled, I would like to come back to India and do some service back in India as long as I have the physical ability to work. A friend of mine set up a Charitable Trust to help poor children educate themselves as he suffered all his young age struggling to pay for fees. As long as I have worked in the US, I have been serving the community here but when I was in India, I was not matured enough to think in that direction . Hence, I am planning to fulfill that obligation, god willing.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Uncle,
    Thank you so much. I promise you that I will do my best to follow your guidelines. Thank you!
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

At the risk of butting heads with veterans in this space
    That is why in a land of few hundred million we had but one Gandhi and as child born in free India I shall always remain thankful for that. Grateful for him and thousands more like him who sacrificed their lives for a gift some of them never even got to enjoy. Every once in a while we need someone who can look beyond their immediate family sometimes even beyond themselves. Its not easy and its not for everyone but the world is certainly a better place because of it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Thyagarajan, Cheeniya and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

What a great post as always ! There comes a point in our lives when we are materially self sufficient and kids are well taken care of so what does one do at that point ? That is something I always question that once my kids leave the nest and our retirement is all taken care of , What do we do with all the time and money we are left with .
    My FiL lived abroad for 20+years and all his years abroad there was this one thing he would always lament as to how much he would like to do in India and one day he will go back and fulfill his need for philanthropy. My hubby and his siblings always laughed it off but the present situation he is living every bit of his dream . He is building toilets for schools , serving the cows in some ashram , taking care of street dogs by making sure they are vaccinated and well fed and several other charities that he does . All this is coming from his retirement funds and Some obviously take him for a ride under the pretext of donations and charity but he is happy doing it so be it .

One doesn't need to abandon his primary dharma which is taking care of ourself and our family. Once everything is settled and kids can take care of themselves , we should share a part of what we have with the less privileged . It could be time , money , knowledge or anything . One doesn't need to be associated with some organization either . It can be done by simply educating our maids kids or run errands for the elderly , teach them basic computers , planting trees around our community . For some that feeling of helping others comes naturally and one can always keep a balance between our domestic duties and philanthropy. Every drop in the ocean counts .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Thyagarajan, girvani and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

@Sunburst,

Thank you for mentioning about your FIL's successful effort to serve the humanity and the animals. I still have a similar idea to go back to India and serve and I am getting nothing but discouragement from friends and family (back in India) and they scare me to death about running an old age home and/or orphanage. Everyone tells me that I should work with an institution rather than being on my own as it would be difficult for me to handle bureaucracy and legalities involved.

I have spoken about this mission with my family number of times and my wife is perfectly aligned with my thoughts. My son already told me that I don't need his consent to execute my mission as it is my hard earned money. In fact, he suggested that if I start a mission, he would contribute as he builds his own wealth. A friend of mine who retired from Gulf recently has started a private trust to help poor students educate themselves. He has been doing that successfully for the past 2-3 years.

I have always suggested to the family that wherever we end up at my retirement in terms of wealth, it should be divided into three parts, first used to help old-aged and/or orphaned children, second kept as a reserve for my son (only child) for his future (my son suggests that this part also should go towards my mission) and the third for our own retirement. I have certain target in my head and I am working towards that goal and I am approximately at 70% to 75% with 2-3 years left for retirement.

I have some windfall investments in private companies that could change the scenario dramatically taking me much above my target. Spending time serving others at retirement is a great sense of fulfillment one should experience like your FIL. In my mind, retirement is not to rest (if health permits) but to serve others with no focus on earning something out of our service. Hopefully, I will be blessed to be a soul like your FIL. As you said, it could be a small drop in the ocean but at least it contributes something to the community and provides a great sense of fulfillment.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and Sunburst like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Hariji,

Sorry, I missed responding to you earlier and I didn't realize your answers were embedded into the quote. Apparently, we have different views on the subject and I respect your feedback. I write here to hear different view points and learn from them.

Thank you as always for your response.

Viswa

HariLakhera likes this.