1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Malady Of The Ads.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Oct 17, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Newspapers survive on advertisements. 60% advertisements, 40% news and views. I am not sure if there is any government regulation or guide in this respect. It's like ads in TV serials. When the party in power is not happy with a news paper, it stops ads to that paper. Advertisements have educational value too. Some of our purchasing and other decisions are influenced by these advertisements. I was told reporters get free food and booze to cover page 3 people.
    Yes we still buy newspapers, though all news it available on the TV and Internet because it feels good to hold a paper in hands. The sale as scrap is additional benefit. Unfortunately ever since plastic came, no one is using old nesaper for shopping bags. The scrap rates are going up.

umaakumar and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I endorse your views. Better -half used to enjoy disposal of newspapers along with other unwanted household materials and she do all the negotiation or haggling and that cash on sale or the sale proceeds gives or enormous joy and I enjoy good mood that prevails after it. Regards.

umaakumar likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Newspapers have come a full circle. They began with classified ads on front pages. Then the classifieds went to the inside pages and news was front paged. Now the ads are back with a vengeance .But these eyes are real eye candy unlike the classifieds with all those PYTs on the front page.

umaakumar likes this.