1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Whoah, feeling feisty are we? :lol: Yes, I heard you, loud and clear. I simply think that yours is a misreading of what I tried to say. I hope you will read what follows as my effort to clarify (for any reader), rather than as an argument with you.

So, let's unpack 'caste'.

Jati/varna/caste is a hierarchy, but not all hierarchies are castes (and most definitely not in the Indian sense). What is it about caste that makes it reprehensible? It is this notion of an immutable value being imposed by birth and the form of slavery that flowed from it. That I am speaking of a different kind of hierarchy in the post above, should be obvious.

I am saying that on a cricket field, I am not fit to lick the boots of a Tendulkar. I have no problems with that. Similarly, when seeking medical care, what matters most to me is the skill of the physician and her extensions - nurses, technicians and so on. An experienced nurse may be far better than a young resident with a fancy MD - at least for a while. The most expert physician fails when a technician (or someone in the chain) misreads the parameters for a machine - say, a dose of radiation (this has happened). Each person here is valuable, and yet there is a hierarchy of training, knowledge, and experience - not birth. The point of the Vonnegut story is precisely that - that there is a hierarchy, of talent, skill, and training; that true 'equality' is neither possible nor desirable.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. sokanasanah

Now for the rest of the charges:
    Not implied. The condescension is explicit. The target may not be what you suppose it is.
    Of the arsenal of words available to me, this one is milder than most.
    I aimed nothing at a 'poor survey designer' or anyone who is merely an instrument of power. To conclude that I did is to be too literal. I wouldn't even blame the hapless person who has to make harassing phone calls to patients to collect the crushing debt imposed by the chargemaster. They are simply trying to make a living, soon to be on the receiving end when a medical disaster strikes them or theirs. I referred to the 'survey designer' in a form of metonymy to evoke the ravenous octopus that lurks behind. As for the 'superiority of the doctor' - 'they also serve who only stand and wait', but yes, for a patient with cancer, her oncologist is indeed superior to the accounts exec, lying on a completely different level of the hierarchy.

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Thanks! That was easy, Admission of guilt? nothing more to say! :wink::lol:

Also hoping some of the others here were entertained in the process!

Anyways, happy new year to you ! What a way to start a new year, isn't it?:smile:

4. sokanasanah

No guilt.:wink1:
    New Year? :thinking:
    Diwali is not the New Year in most of India, except Gujarat.
    I take it you are not Indian? Or are you referring to "Bestu Varas" (Gujarati), which is today.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dang:yikes: Patch up so soon ? I just got myself popcorn and soda in the hope some masaledar posts.

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Haha:lol: sorry, I am assuming the doctor is really busy & it would be really wrong to distract & keep him from meeting his appointments & then the stupid QC systems kick in!:facepalm:
    :roflmao:

justanothergirl likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Giving home wi-fi password to guest, and then asking guest to "forget password" on computer.

Was at a friend's place helping with some setup related to the imminent arrival of old parents from India. Parents coming to settle down in the U.S. My planned visit of 2-3 hours turned into longer. I needed to use my laptop for my work emails and to google some things for her home setup. Handed her my laptop and she entered the wi-fi password for one of the two available networks.

Couple of days later, she sent me a note requesting that I do "forget password" for that network, not that she doesn't trust me, but they have some security issues with their wi-fi and always ask guests to forget password.

Now, I like to believe that I have a relatively mature attitude w.r.t such issues, so I simply did the needful and sent her back a 'done' message.

But, there is the monkey in the brain, no? So, I was thinking about it a bit more. I was a little taken aback to receive such a request to "forget password". Better-half's response when I read the note aloud was very succinct and a tad unprintable. I live miles away from her house. I did not actually get the password. She could change the wi-fi password after I am done using my laptop at her place. Her router is very state of the art and has capacity for "guest" network which is what most people seem to do now-a-days.

Question - isn't it a little odd or rude to ask guest to do "forget password" given all the alternate options easily available? It will not change my relationship with her in any way; our friendship dates back to the previous century, but I will still wondering. And so asking the wonderful people here. : )

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Sunshine04 and Naari like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

The fact that she included the qualification in her request "not that I don't trust you" clearly shows that was the reason. Also considering you went to help her & that you live miles away, I think her request was unnecessary & inappropriate. Also, now in US where wifi isn't a special privilege (you have so many options, you could just go to a Starbucks), the request seems little immature & maybe stemming from the psychology from back in India where wifi used to be such a precious privilege. No but wait what if you decided to drive all those miles every evening & park your car right by her house & spent the entire evening & night watching YouTube videos & using up all her data??:screamcat::lol:

I would feel the same @Rihana

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    sindmani, Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

That's what I thought -- if you trust, then you won't request. And if you don't trust, entering your "permanent" home network password on my laptop is not a good idea.

Though, I did learn something useful. When a guest needs the password, I simply yell for my kid to come down and give it to the guest on a paper or to whisper it or enter it on their computer. People mostly have multiple devices, so they kind of need to know the password. I am thinking I should give them the 'guest' network password. For that, I need to know it. LOL. : )

sindmani likes this.
  10. Rihana

I vaguely remember that post. And wondering why it didn't get nominated for Finest Post. ;)

Will try to dig it up. I think it was a post in a thread started by someone else. My IL memory and memory in general is not that good any more. And thank God for that. : ) Usually @Nonya is good at digging up old threads. Tagging her.

SunPa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.