1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ikigai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:true indeed. profound analysis and deduction and logical. thank you Madamji. Regards, God Bless Us All.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra very nice snippet and thank you for introducing me to a completely new term.

Passion can in itself be the holy grail/ ikigai! Beautiful Sabi!

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

JAG,

I am humbled by your kind gesture to appreciate the snippet. Thank you for highlighting the most important words of wisdom from @Srama in her response. It helped me to go back and reread those words and understand the enormity of what she said.

Viswa

Srama and justanothergirl like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I read this line, I remember the words of Rex harrison in My Fair Lady:
    "I'm an ordinary man
    Who desires nothing more than just an ordinary chance
    To live exactly as he likes and do precisely what he wants
    An average man am I, of no eccentric whim
    Who likes to live his life free of strife
    Doing whatever he thinks is best for him"

These may be a song in a movie but all my life, I have lived in this mental frame. I really have no ideals to follow. There are certain areas of my character that continue to need shaping up but I just do not bother about it. I am deeply concerned about my relationship with others and I take acute care not to hurt the feelings of others. There is a passage in Masonic Lecture that I give below:
    "The Rough Ashlar is a stone, rough and unhewn as taken from the quarry, till, by the industry and ingenuity of the workman, it is modeled, wrought into due form, and rendered fit for the intended building; this represents the mind of man in its infant or primitive state, rough and unpolished as that stone, till by the kind care and instruction of his parents or guardians, in giving him a liberal and virtuous education, his mind becomes cultivated, and he is thereby rendered a fit member of civilised society."

I hardly think of myself these days. May be it is because of my age. I often try to strike a balance between my good and bad self. But as the life bends more towards good, there is enormous peace of mind. I probably missed out this good sense in my youth!
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thank you for sharing the golden words of Rex Harrison of My Fair Lady. Until I was under the able care of my parents, I was shaped and perfected by their constant intervention and when I moved out of their guidance, I began to drift from a flawless life. There was a period when I was not focused on character development and everything again began to fall in place after my marriage and when I had a great companion in the form of Shoba.

But should I call myself a perfected man? Absolutely not. I learn certain values as I interact with more people in life but I know inside my heart I need to work lot harder to be anywhere closer to the desirable quality. I am not sure I have any ideals to follow and if I do, I am not sure how many of them are embedded strongly to feel proud of. Sometimes, I wonder how many values I have and whether any of them conflict between themselves. Mostly I measure myself based on my relationship with others and how comfortable others are with me. Even a slightest disturbance in any relationship bothers me until it is fixed. But I had to admit that I end up hurting others unknowingly many times and when I hear that from closest of close friends, it hurts a lot. I realize no amount of apology would bring back normalcy quickly and I feel miserable.

The diamond that is cut many times is the one that shines the most and the stone that is repeatedly shaped becomes a beautiful statue. I realize that if I am not criticized by anyone, it only means one thing. Friends and family have given up on me.

You are so correct about the mind bending towards good giving a great peace of mind. I wish I met and and heard this from you when I was young. That is exactly what I missed in my youth as well.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and PavithraS like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Viswa

First of all let me thank @Rihana for nominating this wonderful post of yours and also knowing a new word Ikigai. Otherwise I would not have read this post, because since a month only I am active and reading the posts.

In school days I was very fond of Maths so when I am doing it I used to forget everything . Me and my best friend used to spend two hours in her house, first one hour doing th ehomework and learning lessons and net one hour playing some indoor game. After I joined Indusladies after a year or so I got addicted to IL and I used to forget everything when I am on line in IL. Since two years I think I becaume interested in making jewellery and used to get engrossed whole day when I dont hav eany house work. My husband used to say velai illadha ambattan poonai pidichu sarachanam.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

Thank you for giving your invaluable feedback. So you are like me getting on a zone when you indulge in Math. That was my most favorite class in the school as well. As lot of people pointed out, Ikigai changes as our lifestyle or age changes. It is important we have a passion to keep our mind occupied with a great sense of fulfillment to enjoy the present moment. self-analysis has become a passion for me for the past 10-13 years and I do a lot of observation about the pattern of my thoughts, how I speak/write to others and how I act in a given situation. The amount of joy you get when you discover yourself even at this age is remarkable.

I always believe that knowing about myself and my spouse is a life-long exercise.

Viswa

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Yes. I agree. Introspection is agoodtonic.at times it serves as an elixir too.
    Regards

9. Thyagarajan

:hello:Perhaps same would be the case with many senior IL’ites.
    Thanks & Regards.

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have multiple ikigai syndrome where too many things fascinate and amuse and induce me into that sleepless and foodless state. I am not kidding. I often have difficulty in understanding suffering and melancholy and purposelessness of life. I am that mad rabbit who chomps on her ikigai diet and complains of indigestion for there is too much unarrested and screaming happiness in my head always, ever, I swear. Good to have known a word now to associate my affliction. I am high on ikigai!