Any Ideas For Learning Basic Indian Cooking?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by VeraCynth8, Apr 22, 2017.

1. VeraCynth8

VeraCynth8 New IL'ite

Hi, Ladies.

My kitchen skills are very limited, to say the least. My parents have passed away, and I live in a different state, so I have no family I can ask. I've found that cooking is the easiest (and sometimes expected) way for women to share our culture with others, but I don't even really know how to cook American food! Let alone Indian food, which seems more complicated to me.

But I really want to learn! Is Indian cooking really more expensive? Is there a way to do it affordably and simply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

annmeevz likes this.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

If there is a will, there is a way. May be a great cook is hidden inside you.
    You can get hands on experience by joining to any cooking class. If you want to try yourself, I suggest you to watch youtube videos on cooking. That will give u a clear idea on how to cook. Don't expect wonders in the beginning.. it can be a mess.. once you start doing something ok. you will gain confidence on how to cook...a natural instinct will fall in place.
    If I can do it anyone can do it. I started cooking only when I was away from home, l missed my home food, but slowly I picked up. Now I am a reasonably good cook. But my kids think I am the best:), the same way I thought about my mom.
    Good luck

VeraCynth8, Rihana and Chocolatey like this.
  3. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi.. Keep watching lots of cooking video tutorials. There are so many Indian cooking channels on YouTube. You can learn many basics of Indian cooking just by watching videos. It gives you an idea about spices, consistency, cooking duration, tricks, etc. If possible try cooking by having a friend, who knows Indian cooking, near you to correct small mistakes which you may not notice. Happy cooking!!!

VeraCynth8 and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. VeraCynth8

VeraCynth8 New IL'ite

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! I'll try these ASAP...the microwave idli sounds like something even I could manage, khushsnapcook, I'll have to try that first.

I'm guessing rava/sooji can only be bought in Indian stores? Or is there an English-name equivalent for it? Is semolina the same thing?

5. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

hi, veracynth8

cooking is not a rocket science, 'PRACTICE MAKES A MAN PERFECT"
    first of all make a list of Indian dishes you like to eat, go to a Indian restaurant & taste it. eat & enjoy the dish & then try to find out the ingredients that go into the making of the dish. this way , you will be make yourself involve with the spices & techniques of Indian cooking. read Indian cookery books. then start with small items & keep rocking......! o.k..... good luck.

VeraCynth8 likes this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hai, Indian cooking can b really easy if u understand d base of it to begin with. Jus keep practising.

A few very basic recipes to try out
    North Indian base - butter, tomato purée, cream, salt, spices - chek if u can get dose ready to use powders like paneer masala, sabji masala, chicken masala r anythng like dat n add paneer or veggies or chicken.

Or basic dal - boil moong dal or toor dal with water, salt, garlic, green chili, pinch of turmeric powder till its mushy - do tadka: dats heating a bit of oil, put mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves, cumin seeds - add sambar powder to make it a sambar - u can add or reduce any ingredient in dis depending on wat u hav

Some Basic ingredients to start with:
    Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pepper balls, dry red chili, fenugreek, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, cloves

Spices: hing, turmeric, pepper, chili, coriander, cumin, Garam masala, chicken masala, veg masala,

Keep experimenting n buy each ingredient one by one.

iamsrihere likes this.
  7. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

8. annmeevz

annmeevz New IL'ite

Hai,

We will learn things by practice. If you interested in cooking means keep watching the recipes. Just try small recipes and slowly you will get an idea. Its that's simple.

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I recommend marrying someone who cooks well.
    Vah Chef's wife has done it.

Nylaa and radv like this.
  10. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Yes, and I am daily so JEALOUS! Though Alton Brown is right up there too.

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...