1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vacancies For Senior Citizens

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

In india, those who can afford provide not only for their children but also plan for grand children.There is something wrong with the DNA of the seniors[60-80]who aspire for a better financial security for the next generation compared to them and simultaneously wish to be wanted and consulted or atleast go through the motion.The situation is worse when seniors are financially dependent on their children.Without appearing to make a sweeping statement let me say that emotional bonding and mutual consideration appear better with daughters than sons.Hope I am not stirring up a hornets nest.
    sln

sindmani likes this.
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

That lady who suggested 3 crores- as a viable option! There are people who may fix the limit as 30 crores.Society has undergone lot of changes.Many don't understand or rather refuse to understand.However much awareness is created, the age old joint family system cannot be revived and it is not desirable also.I have lived in a very big joint family consisting of nearly 30 people and everyday was a hell. I have never enjoyed the love, affection etc of either my grandmas, or my own parents.Everything was in a mess.But I was married into a beautiful family consisting of my caring husband, his mother and aunt.Though I had two mothers-in-law to take care, I had absolutely no problem.There was not even a murmur or innate grudge from either side.They were so loving, considerate and not interfering also, a rarity among women of those days.Actually I have learnt more from my in-laws rather than my parents and grand parents.
    Seniors also have to get satisfied with skype or whatsapp messages and cannot expect a few words of affection or consolation.That is the societal compulsion.Once we get used to it, that expectation is not felt.
    My mother very often said," affection is like water flow and it will flow from higher level to lower level and converse can never happen.Our children will be more affectionate towards their children only and that is the law of nature.Only human beings with reasoning ,are emotional, sensitive with a sense of expectation of love, regard etc.Other species of nature-all animals and birds leave their younger ones to fend for themselves and life is left to the force of powerful nature. Now I think human beings are forced by circumstances to behave like birds/animals notwithstanding the prevailing of 6th sense.
    Issues are many.Individuals are different.We cannot suggest a single solution to this problem,that may not work out to all individuals or even to the same individual on various occasions. It differs from person to person, place to place and time to time.We have to flow with the wind.

jayasala 42

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, really good write up depicting the situation of Indian seniors in current times.

I live with my husband & kid in US & don't share a very harmonious relationship with in laws just because we are vastly different in every way. I must say that I believed that if we were to invite them to visit us/live with us , it would be purely for their benefit & sightseeing & touring & never to help me with the child or take care of home duties , while I work. I do strongly believe that our kids are our own responsibility solely & if we cannot manage them with our schedules , then we shd not be having kids . It is extremely wrong to expect our parents to take care of young kids at the age 70 when they did their cycle & shd be resting or at least not running around kids!! Let the principle of independence work both ways & not be used to the kids' convenience for sure.

Amica, Viswamitra and Archanaanchan like this.
  4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

What a great post ! In few of my posts, I have always been iterating about how some people have their parents or ILs for raising kids and running their household . And while they get free nanny/help, they still have the audacity to complain and find faults with all the free help they get. Some say it's a part of Indian culture and this is how it has always been . I personally don't think it's right and elders should have a life of their own . In the past ,people lived in joint families and the responsibilities were shared among everyone in the house. With nuclear families, it will be wrong to expect a 70 year old running after kids, managing their naps,running errands cooking and also ensuring safety of the littles one which is a herculean task by itself. At that age, elders should do what they like and what they missed all along while raising their own kids. This whole thing about getting free help is wrong at all levels!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

As you rightly said,joint family system has been quietly burried as the threshold level of tolerance is coming down. There is a lot of difference between seniors doing some thing out of love as against situational demands Again by practice seniors are prisoners of routine and when this is disturbed they get upset.Unchecked ambition and affected work life balance also add to the disenchantment.
    SLN

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You are absolutely right.Asking a 70 year old man to run after a cycling child is cruel.It was a physically less demanding task when grandmas told stories to the grandchildren.The one major recreation for them is watching serials and when any task is entrusted to them which disturbs this entertainment,they get upset.However a kind word here and there and sharing of information will restore their confidence on their relevance and in return they will happily share the responsibility of running the home.
    SLN

sindmani likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Indian culture encouraged sharing of joys and sorrows.Things have changed.For example how every one participated in sharing chores connected with a marriage in the earlier days while today even siblings attend the function as visitors and rush to the dining hall after presenting the gift.Caterers and contractors have taken over this function.Runaway increase in wants and the need to earn at the expense of peace and tranquility at home including dependence on seniors and scant regard for sentiments.
    SLN

sindmani and joylokhi like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sln
    Very well written post. I wish you had also written about the other side of the mid night. I am in my mid seventies and when I sit and chew the cud, I find my life not too bad. I have had some terrible tragedies in my life but God has given me the strength to bear them with equanimity. What is life if it is not a mixture of joys and sorrows?
    Sri

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear SRI,
    THANKS for your comments.After Mithilas exit I stopped writing and spent a couple of years in a retirement retreat in search of solitude.A bad fall and lying unnoticed for 30 minutes exposed my foolishness.I returned to my two lovable daughters delivered and brought up with values by the wonderful lady Mithila.I Celebrated by eightieth birth day a few days back and energised by the attention and affection ,I decided to write again and you are now witness to the beginning of my second innings.
    I am a classic example of the other side of midnight.I find many senior couples[seventy of them] feel bad about the lack of communication.They feel"we know all the answers but nobody asks us questions"Loneliness is the bane of old age and unlike youth the years are short and the days are long.As long as this is understood,misunderstandings and perceptions change.
    Regards
    SLN

10. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Life in joint families was different and things have changed so much. I don't know what is in store for us, we just have to take life as it comes. Thank you for sharing.