1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Sacrifices ;others Enjoy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

once you are in wedlock and beget children, the so called sacrifice willy-nilly starts and societal pressure expects you and spouse sacrifice for their bringing up nurturing atleast up to certain level. the onus to sacrifice is inescapable and all your action centres around them. that is why when a person is in wedlock, it is said "he/she is hooked".
    2. In mythology, Mahabharata's Karnan gave away all the punayas that accrued on account of his philanthropy to Lord Krishna. that is last breath sacrifice!.
    3. In the ultimate analysis, the one and the only true entity in the solar system that sacrifices 24x7 seemed to be the SUN.

sindmani and rgsrinivasan like this.
  2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Every family situation is different and nothing is right or wrong. At certain times preference has to be given to certain issues ,whether it is sacrifice or voluntary action.Giving up promotion ,not the entire job, definitely means ,in addition to financial loss,so many other things, a degradation of one's own dignity, status etc in addition to becoming answerable to many people gossiping about the internal family affairs,though there may not be any such serious problem.
    In our case, though it was definitely depressing for a few days, I totally came out within a short period.I was gifted with an all knowing, intelligent and adjusting Mother-in-Law, anybody would love to possess.She was a lady to be emulated in all respects. Had I lived somewhere I would have lost the opportunity of having company with such a wonderful mother-in-law.She was the one who gave respect to the ideas of younger women in the family, would pass on advices at appropriate hours .Undoubtedly she was a source of inspiration to me for 30 long years.Compared to her golden qualities, my sacrifice is nothing, I feel.
    Being in a junior position proved to be blessing in disguise when my husband met with a major accident and for full 8 moths myself and MIL were able to concentrate on his full recovery.That much of long leave was possible only in that cadre.The senior status would have resulted in resignation.
    I used to feel, for every decision we take voluntarily or by force of circumstances, some significance gets attached at some point of time.

Jayasala 42

GoneGirl, shyamala1234, SunPa and 3 others like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Somehow I have come to hate the word 'sacrifice'. Although our society views it as a virtue, I see it the word (not the actual 'sacrifice') in a negative light. Let me explain.

A mother keeps complaining about how many 'sacrifices' she made for the child. She was made to give up her education to get married. She was not allowed to work by her ILs. That was not a 'sacrifice'. Anything forced cannot be a sacrifice. It was an imposition. Later on, she did not travel with the family because of her baby. That was one of the 'sacrifices' on her list later on in life. But that was her choice. She chose to have the baby. She chose to keep the baby. She felt it was easier to stay at home with the baby than to go lugging it along on a day-long picnic. To keep throwing this and many other 'sacrifices' at the kid was not a fair thing to do.

True sacrifices are always about individual choices. One can never have the cake and eat it too - no matter what. It can only lead to indigestion. So one has to choose the cake or choose to eat it which naturally by the laws of Nature eschews the other option. So, in essence, I see sacrifice as a conscious choice made by an adult with the ability and opportunity to make their own choices.

Women today have an option of working outside while the kids are looked after by grandparents, babysitters or in creches. They have the option of being SAHM. Which option is made is a matter of choice and individual personalities. Some would be more practical and like to go out to work giving their kids 'quality' time. Others might choose to spend every moment with the child and make the child the centre of their universe. That might give her tremendous pleasure although it might be a goodbye to her financial independence. Is that a 'sacrifice' the way it is normally said - making a martyr of the mother?

Anita's 'sacrifice' is far from any connotation of the word. There has already been a detailed discussion on the subject elsewhere on this forum.

As for older kids being held responsible for affording the younger ones better opportunities, that is no sacrifice because it was not voluntary. It was imposed. Maybe later on in life, it could change to a 'sacrifice' out of sheer habit or conscious choice.

It is the 'sacrifice' or choice of young men to defend the nation that really makes me respect them tremendously, provided it is done with genuine love for the country and not just out of need or lack of other choices.

4. jayasala42

Dear Satchitananda,
    I totally agree with you.Last part, I differ a little bit.Some may join army since they don't find opportunities anywhere.But after joining, they find it very challenging and it might create a strong sense of commitment and responsibility.In due course blossom into patriotism of the highest order.
    Certain attitudes develop ,initially on compulsion, and later get imbibed .
    We can't set aside such people .Moulding can take place by practice too_Once they get into the groove, it is set for ever, life long.

A simple example, not exactly connected with this. My cousin, now 95 has a son aged 70 now, born in 1947.He was just an average student-border line pass.He failed in Pre University Class, somehow got through in Sep with just pass marks. He got admission only in B. SC, zoology and got through with arrears. My cousin wanted to see his son as a doctor.This lazy boy was never for it. The father,paid Rs 75,000/-, a huge amount in those days as capitation and got his son admission in Manipal medical college.Everybody laughed, how this dull headed boy is going to treat patients .Everybody felt that with the money he would have got 20 acres of land and made him an agriculturalist, a business that can be done with labour class.

My cousin was adamant.He admitted his son into MBBS course.
    I don't know what miracle happened.Possibly he was too late a bloomer.The boy could pick up all the biology lessons very fast, took special interest in studies, and became a medical graduate with distinction.He has got very great capabilities of diagnosis .He has established very good practice, has his own nursing home.He has a great regard among medical fraternity.He gives free treatment to people in slum areas,visits them at their homes, even if it is a hut. Poor labourers see God in him.
    Such cases are rare, but not an improbable ones.

Jayasala42

sindmani likes this.
  5. satchitananda

I agree JS Ma'am. What one is pushed into can certainly grow on one in the course of time. Then it is again a pleasure to be in that particular role and does not involve 'sacrifice' the way it has often been used - as a virtue involving tremendous pain. Am really glad that your cousin found his calling and enjoyed looking after the needy. That certainly is a happy ending to the story. And that is just what I meant when I said:

jayasala42 likes this.
  6. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

There are many instances of very poor people making many sacrifices and facing difficulties for giving the children good education . We read in papers how an idli-seller'sson became IAS , or a peon's daughter becoming doctor etc.

But in some other cases , its not Sacrifice for the children's good , but only self inflicted difficulty to project their own dreams on the hapless child . Its torture on both sides . Children are made to sacrifice their own aspirations to give meaning to the parent's Sacrifice !

sindmani likes this.
  7. jayasala42

But in some other cases , its not Sacrifice for the children's good , but only self inflicted difficulty to project their own dreams on the hapless child . Its torture on both sides . Children are made to sacrifice their own aspirations to give meaning to the parent's Sacrifice ![/QUOTE]

Dear Susila,
    Thank you for the response.You are right. many parents, as you say, want to fulfill their
    unrealized dream through their kids.Some want to keep up the status and prestige and take great efforts ,persuade children.Even psychologists parents who advise other parents do the same thing.But they may not force.Being counsellers they may know the knack bring children into their path.
    Abdul Kalam so much of dreams. He advised all the parents to train children to dream of achieving big things life.'If you want to reach a tree top, you have to make plans palns to reach the sky.Then only you can reach at least the tree'.This was his method of approach.
    It is sad that our children/grand children have to swim across such turbulent rivers, and if we totally leave them to their choice,it may not benefit them. Such guidance is definitely needed, not coercion.
    My relative had two sons. He had much control over them.He forced them to study.The first one obliged with resentment but came up in life.Second one resisted.The father also left him to his whims and fancies.He just passed.Could not get any job.Now he started blaming his father" I was young.I didn't know so many things. You should have forced me, as you did to my brother. You are responsible for my poor status.".
    When such things happen, parents are at a loss as to what to do.
    Poor parentS! Pathetic children!

Jayasala 42

shyamala1234 likes this.
  8. satchitananda

It is important to teach children to take life decisions (of course once they are old enough to do so) and also responsibility for their decisions. More important is to make them understand that even parents take decisions only after considering all the circumstances and past experiences. But those need not apply 100% to children and it is not essential that a parent's decision would be unconditionally right.

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Quote : "My relative had two sons. He had much control over them.He forced them to study.The first one obliged with resentment but came up in life.Second one resisted.The father also left him to his whims and fancies.He just passed.Could not get any job.Now he started blaming his father" I was young.I didn't know so many things. You should have forced me, as you did to my brother. You are responsible for my poor status.".
    When such things happen, parents are at a loss as to what to do.
    Poor parentS! Pathetic children!"

Very true. This is the worst thing with parenting . Blamed if you do, blamed if you dont .people like to blame parents and upbringing for all their faults . When will they ever grow up and take responsibility ? A person is a parents child only till 18 . After which they bloody well be responsible for themselves . If they dint study, let them learn a trade instead of wasting time in blaming and selfpity . Children from worst circumstances have come up well in life, swimming against the tide and coping with misfortunes .

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about a neutral expression of this statement or observation: "I chose to sacrifice ..."?

The term 'silent' puts the equivalent of a gag order on the one who sacrifices. He can sacrifice, and not be silent about it, and yet not capitalize on the act. In the current times, as in Kaliyuga times, a silent sacrifice can well be an act that comes back to bite you much after the act is done.

Generalization. There are siblings working abroad and parents paying for an education beyond their means, who do not capitalize on their sacrifice, do not expect any returns, but are smart enough to be aware of the sacrifice/choice they made and why. Making a sacrifice does not have to cause the maker a lot of pain or suffering. And, taking ownership of the sacrifice does not mean he is capitalizing on it.

"I chose to see my wife/husband through medical school...Sacrificed weekends to work the second job." -- is an observation, not capitalizing or undue reminder. Now, the same brought up during divorce proceedings is a different matter.

There is no act with zero self-interest. There being some self-interest does not take away from it being a sacrifice.