1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to teach the subject english to my son who is in grade 1

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swt.charu, Sep 20, 2012.

1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Yes,blends are a bit confusing and contradictory sometimes,you cannot apply the same rule always.Having said that,your child is still in KG.These things take time,age also matters. One can't make out from the grade what the age is. I have said this in previous posts and have to repeat..each child's learning pattern and grasp varies.
    I'm not sure how it is taught in your son's school,but from what I have seen,blends are taught in a pattern and grouped in a manner that the connection or commonality can be seen. There is a pattern or logic here as well.

For instance,we have 2-letter blends,like r-blends (sr,cr,br,dr) s-blends(sc,sk,sl,st,sw) etc...in these blends,the sound of both consonants is present.
    Then there are DIGRAPHS,combination of 2 letters such that there is only 1 sound .
    'PH' - sounds like 'F'
    'GH' -This gets more complicated - There are words like 'lauGH','couGH',touGH' etc wherein 'GH' sounds like 'F',
    There are other words like thouGH,where 'GH' is silent and

Words like 'eiGHt',liGHt' wherein the sound is that of a vowel 'a' or 'i'. 'eiGHT' is the odd one out 'GH" sunds like 'a',others have the 'i' sound.

Of course,there are many more..but enou'GH' for this post,I think ;)!

2 people like this.
  2. nilasisu

nilasisu Bronze IL'ite

In India do we have any math and english class for kids?

3. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy New IL'ite

Your boy is definitely a smart kid. He's just puzzled by English temporarily. For online stuff, my child is currently learning ELA on beestar website. Text has nice simple fonts and the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting. DD likes it very much. Hope this helps!
    Lisa

4. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Friend,

Came across this thread just today. If your son has got the hang of the language English, then please ignore my mail. But if he still hasn't............then DONT despair.

This reminds me of our younger son, he is 26 ...................when he was in first and second grade, except for Arithmetic he would get a zero in all English based subjects! I was distraught. My DH was very calm. He said " If he has a learning problem we will handle it. Just let the child be. When they stop promoting him to the next class we will explore other options" He was in a school that did not have exams till the fourth grade. He went to third grade...........the first week after covering and labelling books, home work started. He stopped bringing books home. When I asked him he would say, he had finished. My DH told me not to react. Friday came and he brought home a library book! I was a bit angry because I was not really enamored with the idea of having to read it to him! But surprisingly, he did not ask me ..................so I asked him if he could read. And he said "Ofcourse" I was a bit surprised and asked him if he could, why then was he getting zero for Phonetics, and all other English based subjects. You know what....he told me, " Amma, English is a funny language.........sometimes c is k like in cat, c is s like in cell, Ch is sh in chivalrous and Chicago but different in China and so on..............so my DH told me, " Its just taken the kid 2 years to unravel this mystery in his mind, in his own way" I am glad I listened to my DH and NEVER hassled the child , because I would have confused the kid and made a mess of him. I am also glad he was in a school which had no exams and just let him be! We had just returned from UK so his spoken English was very good. I used to read to him every day. Since then things have been fine. He is now a qualified Engineer and also an Actuary.

Hope this has been of some help,

Usha

sindmani and racr like this.
  5. sonita

sonita New IL'ite

Hi,
    interesting thread with some sound and solid advice. Permit me to offer some quick thoughts. I am in my fourth year of studying Childhood Psychology with Linguistics so hopefully you will find my advice helpful if a touch counter intuitive initially.
    Learning at that age must be both varied and involve positive reinforcement. Try to use as many different types of realia as possible. Realia simply means resources such as visual aids. Avoid textbooks as much as possible as your kid will be already getting too much of that at school. Set the context then introduce a grammar theme as part of that....for example "going to the zoo" could be used to talk about future plans using the future simple. Have photos or objects connected to what they may want to do and through repetition they will naturally pick up the patterns.
    The key is variety and to positively praise them when they get something correct.
    Normally in traditional education we focus on the wrong answers. A psychologically self defeating strategy.
    Google "esl for kids" or phrases such as that for handouts, wordsearches and puzzles that can be used to supplement learning.
    REMEMBER ALWAYS PRAISE THE CORRECT ANSWERS MORE THAN FOCUSING ON THE INCORRECT.
    And avoid advice from previous ladies who can't even spell!

1 person likes this.
  6. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

@racr has covered the points very clearly. He has said it all.