1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting – A Boon Or A Curse

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhargavi03, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Dear @PushpavalliSrinivasan,

Yes. Agreed. Parents these days need to be smart and upgrade their techno knowledge as much as it possible to handle these days kids astuteness.. as u said we should not micro manage our kids and should definitely give them their space of privacy. At the same time we should keep one eye constant on them.. So this what is a challenge that we would face on smart parenting.. we should not be these nagging parents out front but inherently watch them always :)

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Well analysed from all points of view and all angles . Parenting has really become a frustrating occupation for young people who are given a hundred kinds odf advices from all over . I feel sorry for tge young mothers who are always worrying and not enjoying their children so much .

The reason in my opinion , why children these days turn out very different from older generations is that its not just the immediate family that id bringing them up , but " the whole village" or the whole global village . The kind of information they process is amazingly large , the exposure they get is a lot wider , so naturally the impressiins and perceptions they develop are also vastly different. They cannot be expected to behave like the kids of past generation.
    Yet , its not all gloomy . Parents can still be friends with them . Strict opressive Dragon Mother kind of parenting will be counterproductive. Whatever generation , only mutual trust , respect and abundant love nurture parent-offspring bond .

Boon or curse ? Neither . Or both . Its always a mixed bag . As life is.

Bhargavi03 likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I think this would be the essence of this thread feedback.

Bhargavi03 likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

another thought crossed my mind as I re-read this thread. a friend of mine and his spouse professionally well off and touring all the time, had put their two children one boy and one girl in residential school and after their completion of academics, those kids studied professional course staying in college/institute hostel and then settled with their career and family at far off place. not much parenting excepting annual holiday visit to them by their children. they are happy and parents (now become grand parents) are happy and feeling great. What do you think about it? probably feasible for some. thanks and regards.

5. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Just wondering where is parenting here... Haha.. guess even during the holidays visit made by the kids at the parents place would not involve much work/efforts from the parents because the kids would have evolved into totally self-sufficient, self-made and independent individuals that they rather prefer making their own decisions than looking out for their parents assistance. Guidance may be very little to almost none would have been given and taken..
    Anyway these are different type of parents and I am sure they have enjoyed what they did for their kids..how much of role they played in the kids lives is something perhaps we might have to check with their kids. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

7. Thyagarajan

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Residential schools develop altogether a different kind of attitude in children. Such children when they visit parents do not want to be interfered anything.The home is only a lodge/restaurant.
    The residential schools which inculcate discipline are able to sow very high values, more than the parents can do.At times the exercise becomes a miserable failure.
    It is a fact that parents totally miss the joy /hurdles in parenting.Children miss love and affection, they miss the strictness of parents. As time passes and adolescence sets, children start thinking like adults and want to be treated so with no curbs on anything.
    'Out of sight, out of mind' becomes the order of the day, soon to children and gradually to parents too.
    Whether love, affection, parental care so much discussed in books and literature--Is everything becoming a farce- to one and all, sooner or later depending on the situation? Is it what the life teaches us ?

Jayasala42

Bhargavi03 and Thyagarajan like this.