Miscarriage- How To Support Husband?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Meghaa, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Hi All ,

We had a miscarriage @10 weeks after 4 years of infertility struggles. While it is obviously a very difficult time for both of us, I think I hadnt gotten attached yet although I was starting to get comfortable with the idea after 2 perfect ultra sounds and being just 2/3 weeks away from crossing the first trimester.
    But my husband who has been calm/collected/strong(atleast outwardly) through all the trials of treatments is taking this loss very hard. I have never seen him in so much pain - I can feel it.
    Do you have any suggestions of how I might help him cope?
    Distraction seems to help - but the minute the memories come back , its like the agony is all over again.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Meghaa, I am so sorry to read about your miscarriage and loss. And it is perhaps a testimony to the strength of a woman that you are able to feel your husband's pain, and realizing that this difficult time seems to be even harder for him, and are looking for ways to help your husband cope. I can only suggest letting him talk. Freely whenever he feels like without explicitly telling him, "tell me what you are feeling. talking will help. I want to help. I can't see you like this." As the days pass, the intensity of his recalling the agony will lessen as will the frequency.

Helping him in a way takes your mind off your own feeling of loss, but at the same time, remember to take care of yourself too -- mentally and physically both. You can't afford to end up emotionally bankrupt.

Additionally, if he has a friend he can talk to (rare for men to have such a friend), or if you guys have one couple you are close to, talking with them can help. Ideally, the kind who know how to help, and not to over-help.

Other than that, there is nothing like time to help with the healing. Also, starting or continuing regular exercise, outdoors if possible, often helps.

3. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

My hugs to you dear..My suggestion would be to take a break for two days and have short trip.It will be a great diversion for you too.If possible go with friends.Go for a movie.Keep yourself engaged.Go out to play any of your favorite games. Cook something special for him just to surprise him. Be strong..Time can heal everything. All the best dear...

sindmani and Naari like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Meghaa , So sorry to hear of your loss.
    I have found that men get hit harder emotionally, perhaps their grief coping mechanism is less able than ours. You dealing with your grief and wanting to lessen your DH's pain only shows how much love and strength you have. You two will get thru this.
    Years ago a close male colleague faced a similar situation in the 5th month. He was devastated and withdrew. Slowly with his wife's support he made it thru. He is my boss now :) . That made me realise the need to grieve and the need for closure to move on .
    I am not sure if there are any special customs in India. I hesitate to post these links wondering if reading them will cause you to relive your pain. But maybe , just maybe it will help you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/.../the-japanese-art-of-grieving-a-miscarriage.html

Mourning My Miscarriage

vaidehi71 and sokanasanah like this.
  5. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Yeap . We did that. A long drive over the weekend. It seemed to help. But once we came back , it hits with full force. I guess we should just add enough distractions for the next few months

6. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

I keep getting told this is fairly common - but to us - this was a CRUEL joke.
    I mean it took us 2 surgeries , 5 rounds of clomid , 4 rounds of IVF...... and parents/in laws were all thanking the God and husband had started saying 'I love you 2'

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

'Common' does not mean easy - it is simply a statistical statement devoid of emotional content. We all die, but that knowledge does not make things any easier for any of us. We still grieve. Attachment begins before birth, and a miscarriage is experienced as death and loss. Each person grieves in their own way. A friend of mine, who lost her husband suddenly and unexpectedly, said to me that her waves of grief come and go. There are good days and bad days. You are in control one minute, and then you aren't. That is simply the way it is. Coping with grief is a process, not an event.

Traditional rituals are explained as rites setting the soul on its way into the afterlife, but they are just as much protocols for processing grief. Sometimes an inquiry from a caring person helps and at other times it brings back painful memories at a moment when you are not prepared for them. If you live in the United States or Europe, you might consider grief counseling for your husband. Counselors may not say anything you don't already know, but they are trained to be patient, non-judgementally receptive elicitors of unexpressed thoughts, feelings, and pain. They will refrain from offering facile advice. They cannot eliminate grief, but they can help manage his feelings - after all, life does not pause for us; we still have to get on with the quotidian even as we deal with grief. A counselor may help him cope.

Best wishes. I hope both of you come out of this dark patch in your life safe and healthy in body, mind, and spirit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    vaidehi71 and Meghaa like this.
  8. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Yes, looking for a grief counsellor ...

sokanasanah likes this.
  9. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

Same issue with trying since 3 years 1 iui 1 ivf failed. Multiple timed intercourses failed. I stopped everything wanting a break and to get fit. And the moment l stopped is when I became pregnant. And in no time I also started miscarrying. All my dreams are shattered

10. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

I am soo sorry to hear that.. all we can do is accept it..