Anemic In 3rd Trimester

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by SGBV, Sep 19, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My sister is pregnant with her 3rd kid, and now she is in her 3rd trimester. Baby is due by end of Oct. However, they would plan a c-sec by 2nd or 3rd week of Oct, as it is gonna be her 3rd c-section.

Unlike before, this time her Hb level has gone low. Apparently it is 9 currently.
    She feels exhausted, and extremely tired now a days. Obviously, she is overworked with her 2 other kids who are active, and very young (~5 yrs of age). Plus, she works for full time (government job). Takes office transport (bus) to work, and it is just less than 30mins one way.
    She also does small chores like feeding kids, cooking their special menu, etc at home, as her MIL does the remaining.

Her doc has advised to take iron pills 3 times a day, and come back in 3 weeks. Hopefully he will be able to give her a date by then for delivery.

She is bothered about the baby, as her other kids were very chubby, and healthy at birth. She never had issues while carrying them it seems.

I am bothered about my sister, as I read some where that low Hb moms will have issues while delivering the kids, specially with excessive blood loss.
    Recently my cousin has ended up losing so much blood during her delivery, and was in ICU for a week. She had twins though.

Internet is causing more stress when we dig through this matter. So, please someone enlighten us in this regard. Also the precaution to be taken.

I advised her to take leave and rest at home. But she saves up max leaves to accumulate her maternity break.

Please advice

Jamesshadon likes this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Rest from now can help her.Fruits and juices like of pomegranate is good to increase blood count. Wish her a safe delivery.

3. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi SGBV,
    Dont worry, everything will be fine. During second and third trimester, women need little more iron than usual. If your sister can have non veg, ask her to include some chicken, eggs and red meat in meals. Iron contained in the food are more biologically available to the body than tablets.Also iron fortified cereals,moringa leaves, daily can help very much. Don't dig on internet too much. It will only increase our anxiety. Ask her to take rest whenever possible and follow the doctor's advice correctly. Also don't forget to drink plenty of water as sometimes iron tablets can cause constipation. Best wishes!!

sindmani likes this.
  4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Meat based food generally boosts HB levels. Try to include Vit c foods followed by iron tablets. Its helps in increasing the absorption of iron pills. Don't take milk products along with iron tablets. Calcium and iron won't get along. Give 1 & half hours gap between consumption of both.
    Hope your sis will pickup the decent HB levels soon. All the best to her.

ashima10 and sindmani like this.
  5. RohiniVenkat

RohiniVenkat Silver IL'ite

Dear @SGBV

you can ask your sister to add mutton liver and beetroot for alternative days. This will improve the HB count. Also dont stress yourself too much, as the water bodies within the sample blood also the main reason for the low HB count. Be positive and expect good to happen.

sindmani likes this.
  6. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations to your sister and please follow what Vasumathy has suggested .
    All will go well , have faith :)

sindmani likes this.
  7. Jamesshadon

Jamesshadon New IL'ite

8. akrutisyd

akrutisyd Senior IL'ite

Daily pomegranate is what my doctor suggested from the beginning. Juices can be absorbed easily. Include beetroot juice, dates along with leafy greens + vitamin C for absorption will help. Dates is a good source.
    Everything thing will be good, don't Worry.