Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Aug 12, 2017.

1. SassySalsa

SassySalsa Bronze IL'ite

What a spectacular sight it was! I was fortunate to view the eclipse in its totality and it was amazing. The feeling I had is so hard to describe. I felt so connected with nature. It was absolutely incredible.

kaniths, kkrish, JGVR and 4 others like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    kaniths, kkrish, Srama and 2 others like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thats fantastic @kkrish .For various reasons we could not plan to be at a place which had totality. I am sure u had a blast .Do write a snippet about ur day!
    Had a viewing party in the office parking lot with all my colleagues:cheer:. Plenty of viewing glasses/fancy telescopes and cameras with filters to pass around . Few of us made pin hole cameras (some of the geeky ones made real neat ones with lenses ) . Amazing experience !Cant wait for 2024 !

kkrish, Amica, Srama and 2 others like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

After the eclipse, my 5 year old is suddenly confused with crescents. She kept asking me entire time, is that crescent "moon"? She has known the crescent to always be the moon and all of a sudden there is some thing called as solar eclipse when the crescent you see can be the sun! :smiley: We explained but I guess my LO is still confused:(

kkrish, Amica, Srama and 2 others like this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ur retina will get roasted if u view the sun for too long on a regular day as well . The only diff is on a regular day u cannot look at it for an extended period...ur reflexes will force u to look away or close ur eyes.. Also ur pupils on a regular day will shrink to their min cutting down a major portion of the rays. During solar eclipse when a major portion of sun is blocked our pupils dilate .Our reflexes are messed up since we cannot detect UV and IV rays and we run the risk of viewing the sun for far too long.

kkrish, SassySalsa, Naari and 2 others like this.
  6. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

One question-can kids as young as 6 can watch the solar eclipse with the solar filter glass?

kkrish likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

It was pretty cool. I was not in the direct path, but I was still able to see the eclipse. I agree about the feeling being hard to describe, but to me, it was a little disconcerting since the shadows were acting strangely and sky looked odd. I have very sensitive eyes and the visual distortion made me feel a little dizzy. I can understand why historically eclipses were considered bad omens.

kkrish, JGVR and SassySalsa like this.
  8. SassySalsa

SassySalsa Bronze IL'ite

I am sure its okay as long as they wear appropriate glasses meant for viewing the solar eclipse. My friends took their children (3,4 year olds ) for solar eclipse viewing, and one of them is a pediatrician here. So I'm sure its okay.
    I know I'm replying late, but I'm hoping this info might be useful for others in 2024:)

JGVR likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

We should plan an IL eclipse viewing party for 2024. :D

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Glad you enjoyed your eclipse party @justanothergirl . Yes, definitely get a total eclipse experience. Worth it.
    As you requested I posted my Aug 21 in the link. I am not happy though, as I had great difficulty capturing those moments.
    Night At Mid-afternoon

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    justanothergirl likes this.