1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Do They Teach In Kindergarten??in America??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Aug 14, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

LO will be five year end going to kindergarten this year.

My inlaws who r here are very upset that my child does not Know 1-100 and not knowing months,does not read etc.I have enrolled kid in Montessori kindergarten and inlaws are Killing me everyday saying kid does not know to write well or read.My child knows to write alphabets but not perfectly.

What are the things a child needs to know my kindergarten in America?

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

For 5 years alphabets and numbers up to 20 and some rhymes are totally fine. Make them read 2 letters and 3 letters with phobic syllabus(it will help them later)

salad, anika987 and Sandycandy like this.
  3. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

Hello @anika987
    Please don't expect kids to have kids good handwriting and knowing all things including number/alphabets.
    Its only in India where kids are taught to write and read alphabets completely in LKG and UKG.
    Sometimes i also get worried for my kids writing but then kids are learning to explore and learn things. They want to see and then believe.
    Even in India there are many kids who learn alphabets and numbers in first standard.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Pre School is not actually a place to learn alphabets and numbers. Rather, children begins a relationship with learning in pre school.
    We expect children to learn and understand the world through play and activities like interactions, team work, individual works, fine motor skills etc.
    Basic concepts like shapes, colors, sizes, and sometimes letters & numbers may be introduced to kids as they progress.

However, this doesn't limit our role as parents to teach and train our kids on other matters, which this competitive world expect out of them.
    It is important to understand your child, his/her capacity and based on that it is important to introduce some learning space at home front too.
    Mothers, specially stay at home moms are good at that.

My DD is ~4 yrs , and going to nursery. I teach her read, write and understand letters of 2 languages.
    She won't sit and concentrate at a stretch. But given the little time, I managed to teach her something at home.
    So, once she enters School, she will be able to confidently face her studies.

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Exactly.

anika987 likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a child is expected to know before entering kindergarten varies by the kind of school, the demographics, location. Kind of school - public, private with emphasis on academics, charter, magnet school, private and affiliated to a church. Demographics - usually areas with more Asian and white population have children who enter KG academically quite ahead.

Other than that, given 20 children in a KG classroom, their academic, social, motor skills, athletic, artistic and other abilities vary at the start of the school year. And they also end the school year with a lot of variation. Each child progresses at a different pace. Usually, by the 3rd or 4th grade, things start to even out. The "grow" and "glow" areas also become more identifiable. Grow areas being ones in which child needs some help and guidance. Glow areas being ones in which child has more of a natural talent or personality trait.

Also remember that, the ages of kids in a classroom can vary by as much as 11 months. (If I recall it correctly). The kid who just makes it past the cut-off date will be almost 12 months younger than the kid who just missed it last year. (Not sure if this is correct?).

To answer the specifics in your question, some children entering KG will know numbers till 100, and can skip count, and do simple addition, and read small sentences. Some can also do subtraction. Some will not know how to write more than 3-4 letters of the alphabet. And will not know numbers till 10 also. So, it varies. No need to worry about it. And above all, do not compare. This is the biggest mistake moms can make.. Do not ever compare with other kids. Just spend time reading with child, let child see you reading, talk about what is read. Play with the child. Spend time on the floor with the child. Listen, really listen, when the child talks.

If child can understand that in-laws think he/she is lacking some skills, then, better to politely ask in-laws to not talk such things in front of child.

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Expectations of what a kid needs to be know by the time they enter KG in most schools in India is something along these lines . 1-100 ,write all alphabets upper and lower case....read few sentences etc etc which is probably why ur PIL are freaking out. Without these its pretty much impossible to get into any decent school from what I have heard . Mercifully its different here. For what u can do with ur child... @Rihana has some neat suggestions. Tell ur PIL to calm down and explain to them that the system here works differently.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Also, what do people suggest for kids under cut off?Though the child is smart,is it advisable to push the kid a year ahead?

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I personally feel it is better to teach/train the kids anything that develops their brain.
    Anything in moderation.

anika987 likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

It is not necessary to push the kids to next level soon. 1 year up or down the line (I feel) doesn't make much difference during the course of studies I suggest u to leave the kid free and don't overload the kid. Lets see what others suggest

anika987 likes this.