1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice For Senior Citizens

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Welcome back Kji! Nice to read your snippet. I believe Narayan Murthy and his wife may be following the kind of lifestyle our Oracle of Omaha follows! Warren Buffet is known for his simple life. But that doesn't take away the fact that we should impose our beliefs on others.

I agree with kamala! Where are your jokes?

sindmani likes this.
  2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Good line of thoughts .
    Now a days , more and more parents prefer living away from their married children because both sides want their freedom . And many have been wise enough to make provisions for their retirement without having to depend on children .
    Live and let live . No interference is best policy .

shreepriya and joylokhi like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Saw this today ! Pankaj kapur is my fav . I must admit he was pretty grumpy in the movie and definitely not a joy to be around.one did feel sorry for him though. The lesson here was that parents should hold on to their money when they are alive and also adjust with the new generation.

sindmani, Naari and ashima10 like this.
  4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Yea! Loved the lesson that his friend ...in that age you also need to ignore few things :)

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamlji, Naraya Murthy once said in an interview that his monthly expenditure was just Rs 5,000.Such austerity cannot be imposed on a DIL who came from a four generations rich family , the TVS clan. Murthy foundewd Infosys with just Rs 10,000 he got from pawning his wife's jewelry. It is his baby.
    So it is hardly surprising that he is loathe to let it go.

Sunburst, sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

BTW where are the X jokes?

Kamalji likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, such a delight to read your snippet. Been a looooooooong while!

As for Narayan Murthy, there are a few lessons to be learned.

1. Although we don't know the real reason, what you say could well be one of them. Such problems arise because things are not made clear at the outset by both parties.

2. When handing over your business to someone, you either retire completely or hand it over with terms and conditions stated clearly on paper.

I cannot blame the 40 year old for wanting to do as he thinks best. After all, he is also middle aged and has a mind of his own and if he is leading a company, it is frustrating to keep asking for permission for every thing one wants to do. What does the word 'retirment' mean if one wants to be constantly involved? It only means you want a slave to do your bidding because you don't have the physical energy but they should not use their own brains.

salad, Kamalji, sindmani and 3 others like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for that link Ashima. Loved the film. Tells it like it is.

ashima10 likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    I am a new comer here and have yet to read old posts. Like others I too will,be happy to see more and more of you.
    Parents should not impose their thinking and way of living on children. Having made them capable of standing on their own feet, they should take a back seat and enjoy the sunset years.
    I think Tata and Infosis issue are business issues. It is difficult to comment on the happenings in these business houses as an outsider. The CEOs are expected
    to abide by the direction of the board which probably Mystry failed to do and in Infosis case Sikka is doing but board is not listening to Murthy.
    Best regards.

sindmani and Kamalji like this.
  10. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear @Kamalji ,

It is such a nice thought and advice . One way your advice are applicable to younger generation too . I am in my late 20s and I feel it's really too early to advice senior citizens but this is what I have to add .

In our sunset season if we have to live alone, if we have to be independent,if we have to earn respect we have to start the practice now.. let it be being active in society , reading books, or maintaining a hobby, else fully indulging into spirituality. We have to start the practice now itself .

I have seen retired parents who is not ready to take any effort to utilize there time in a fruitful way. The only reason they have is " I have never tried that ,i spend my life like this all these years and I can't change now. So you better change things for me " They do not realise , more than others they are troubling their own life . Their own mental peace and happyness.

Change is inevitable ,change is the only constant .

May God bless everyone with the wisdom to accept change . Senior citizens better learn to accept change , for younger generation better start practicing that. For our own goodness :)

Sandycandy and Kamalji like this.