Finest Post Nominations - August 2017

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by satchitananda, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What a marvelous reply, that! Viswa, I am guilty of not following the thread regularly. I am so glad to see that there are two others who feel the same way as me. I did kill myself early on in life trying to compete with my classmates and pushing myself to do things that did not interest me. After a point when life grounded me and made me do things or rather discover what I liked doing, I really started enjoying myself. It is really wonderful not to succumb to peer pressure. Like Iravati says, people my age have earned a lot, have brought up families, have recently stepped into the role of grandparents, have huge homes and what not! Do I envy them? No. I just earn enough to salvage my own conscience. I couldn't afford to rent a home on my own. I have a roof over my head, I have a rath and a maharathi provided by the BH. In fact I probably spend more getting to and from work than I earn!!! I have enough to eat - more than I strictly need to. :p But I enjoy what I am doing. I have no desire to earn more and more and more. Life certainly is a lot more than trying to constantly keep up with the Joneses.

teenulahari, Sunburst and Viswamitra like this.
  2. satchitananda

Thanks Rihana. Just read it. Enjoyed the humour and seriously wished we had had finishing colleges for young men like the finishing colleges in Switzerland to 'make' ladies out of young women. Those would have to have branches world wide and it would have to be a compulsory part of the curriculum before they were handed a professional degree.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Amica, Nonya and Rihana like this.
  3. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

Thanks Teenu. I agree with you. As usual, Blackbeauty has presented a fact of life so simply and without any unnecessary drama. Bare minimum and story has been told. We don't value what we have. The other side of the fence always looks greener.

teenulahari likes this.
  5. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

6. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Thanks Satchi. In our days marriages are made in Heaven. Now marriages are made in Digital World & in some cases personal acquaintances in Office. The rigid rule that i will get my son/daughter get married in the same sect/sub sect has lost its meaning.When people say that i used to laugh at them in mind. So we should be prepared to welcome a daughter in law belonging to any sect & ready to mingle with the in laws & their family members of a different sect in case our daughter wishes to find a match in a completely different sect.So even among Hindus, among same community there are so many cultural differences.If anyone is familiar with these they can write books & books about these various customs,procedures,festivals etc. Hence at least in this forum let us share the nature of various festivals so that we will be familiar with at least a few of them.Won't it be better if we take the initiative for the festival instead of being reminded by in laws. Most of the families even the so called orthodox are becoming Bharatha Vilas. Let us be mentally prepared for that !
    " The woods are lovely ,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

example from a GRE analogies test:
    Infancy is to children what ______ is to adults.
    [correct answer: adultery ]

The prefix "adult--" comes loaded, no matter where it sticks to. The girl in the T-shirt image (likely using the infinitive form of the verb) is certainly not referring to job, mortgage, car payment etc..
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61n29QDK3lL._UX679_.jpg

8. satchitananda

I totally agree with you venlax. We must know about our traditions and roots before we decide what we want to follow and what we want to leave behind. However, these topics are best discussed in the Religion and Spirituality forum; there is only so much we can discuss about the topic on this forum. I would be delighted if you could bring nominations from there so more people could read the threads and benefit from the information given there.

9. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the feedback mam

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

A nomination from you carries special joy. Thank you, @Rihana!

Rihana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.