Finest Post Nominations - August 2017

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by satchitananda, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Each month has its own significance.
    August half of it part of Aadi , 4th month of Tamil Calendar is full of festivals only. Our vision should go beyond the range of mere festival i.e. the significance behind each.I had already written about some in last month.
    The 3 rd of Aug, being AadiPerukku, 18thday of Aaadi ,it is called Aadi Pathinettam Perukku. This is celebrated with gala with the main intention of worshiping & thanks giving of Rivers of which so much talk is going on now.People mostly in southern parts of Tamilnadu prepare Variety Rice & go to river beds , worship the river & then take the food there itself.They will go i groups & enjoy.
    The 4 th Aug. is Varalakshmi Pooja , orthodox people will celebrate it for three days.The first day making the seat or Peetam ready.A cone like structure with a wide base will be there fully decorated.The Kalasam will be prepared with Silver or Bronze Chombu in which Rice, Door Dal, Turmeric,some gold piece, silver piece, Precious stones will be placed.On top of it in the coconut the face of Varalakshmi will be fixed. The Kalasa Chombu,The goddess face etc will be given mostly at the time of marriage itself.One main Kalasam & the other faces of the Goddess of DILs all will be placed in the mandapam. Venpongal will be the prasadam for offering to Sri Varalakshmi in the night & the same will be the dinner for ladies.Next day, always Friday will be the Pooja with minimum Lakshmi Astothram & all types of kolukattai, vadai, Sooyam (sweet one) etc will be offered to the deity . Elder ladies will tie the Thoranam (like Raki) to younger people blessing their husband's welfare & for young ones & other kids for a good husband in future. Aarthis will be taken every time.Other ladies will be invited & offered Tamboolam .Next day Poonar Pooja will be performed & in the evening or night the Goddess will be placed in Rice in a room & milk with sugar offered as prasadam. The Concept is making Godddess Varalaksmi with Lord Vishnu to sleep in the room.The relative songs will be sung. It will be as if we are celebrating a marriage.
    The other festivals like Kokulashtami , Vinayaga Chaturthi also falls in this month itself. Due to Lunar Eclipse Aavani Avittam had been shifted to 6 th of September.
    As to the question " Why no sisters Day" , Women are blessed people in one way. On all auspicious occasions they will be presented with gifts by parents or in their absence by brothers . Age is immaterial. We (Most people) send money or gifts to my sister in law for all festivals ,not the money that matters but the love & remembrance of her plays a major role.Similarly i also get from my brothers, fortunately Five brothers.
    " The woods are lovely ,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

Nonya and satchitananda like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

I am here to nominate @Iravati's response to Cheeniya Sir Quid Pro Quo With The Gods. Cheeniya Sir triggered Ira to pour her beautiful thoughts. She has amazing clarity about what she seeks in life. In real life, the true leaders are the ones who pursue what they choose. The followers are the ones who blindly review the success of others and try to imitate their life style.

Viswa

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

Once more I owe all of you an apology for going mia from here for a while. Been on the other side of the table for a while - writing exams - and now I know how my students feel! Good to remind oneself from time to time.

I request you to please bring more nominations here. We are almost into the last third of the month.

Love you all.

4. satchitananda

Thanks a lot for this nomination Ma'am. It's real food for thought.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks for the nomination Teenu! But I need the link, please! :)

6. satchitananda

Thanks for that nomination, Iravati. Enjoyed reading it. Who would believe Viswa when he says he had a tough time learning English. Seeing his mastery over the language, one would be hard pressed to believe him. He has inspired me to read more books in German and French to master them. Shall start doing so right away.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Thanks for the nomination Rihana. Could you please post the link? :)

8. satchitananda

Thanks for seconding the nomination poovai. Waiting for the link so I can read the piece. :)

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The link is in the last line of my post. Click on the word "post".

satchitananda likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Thanks for adding to the info Venlax. I am not very savvy about all the festivals and it is nice to read anything that can add to my knowledge about them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.